Masked Intruder / Dan Vapid and the Cheats - The Wedding 7"

I really don't want to start the variants argument here (the idea of a personalized wedding 7" is awesome. Congrats man). But in general I look at something like a pressing /400 with 4 different /100 variants (or similar numbers) as a gimmick to sell more records from a band that cannot just sell records regardless of variants. I wouldn't say it is wrong for other bands that need it. It was clearly not needed here. the /100 variant for the wedding is appropriate and awesome. Something like 2 colors /500 each would have made more sense for sale to the public. It's not revisionist thinking. It's obvious from the way the first offense repress went.

I'm not really bitching hard about this (you can do whatever you want) but you could have easily doubled the pressing numbers and still sold out really quickly. Masked Intruder is the Pop-Punk "it" band of the moment and Vapid is going to have some pretty loyal fans.

I could have probally done a lot of things different to make others/collectors happy, but that wasn't the intention from the beginning for this idea. the colors were chosen based off colors of our wedding, and the numbers were chosen because I only wanted 500, so that only gives me so many options. im sure I could've done 1000+ and it would've sold. I promise if there is ever more of this, it wont be on 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, colors etc

at first this it was only gonna be /100 invitations only. but then I wanted people to hear it. so 500 it was haha

hope that helps explain my reasoning

I could have probally done a lot of things different to make others/collectors happy, but that wasn't the intention from the beginning for this idea. the colors were chosen based off colors of our wedding, and the numbers were chosen because I only wanted 500, so that only gives me so many options. im sure I could've done 1000+ and it would've sold. I promise if there is ever more of this, it wont be on 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, colors etc

at first this it was only gonna be /100 invitations only. but then I wanted people to hear it. so 500 it was haha

hope that helps explain my reasoning

Cool man. Sorry to bitch. My opinion is "if you are going to offer it to the public then offer it to everyone who wants one".

But I guess if I have a 7" for my wedding I will do it how I see fit. Congrats again.

I really don't want to start the variants argument here (the idea of a personalized wedding 7" is awesome. Congrats man). But in general I look at something like a pressing /400 with 4 different /100 variants (or similar numbers) as a gimmick to sell more records from a band that cannot just sell records regardless of variants. I wouldn't say it is wrong for other bands that need it. It was clearly not needed here. the /100 variant for the wedding is appropriate and awesome. Something like 2 colors /500 each would have made more sense for sale to the public. It's not revisionist thinking. It's obvious from the way the first offense repress went.

it wasn't 4 different /100 variants, and it wasn't a gimmick, its our wedding colors. and it was needed here, I wanted all the colors. this was done for us and shared with everyone. no one had to buy all the colors, one would have done

Cool man. Sorry to bitch. My opinion is "if you are going to offer it to the public then offer it to everyone who wants one".

But I guess if I have a 7" for my wedding I will do it how I see fit. Congrats again.

na, im not taking it as bitching, I understand where youre coming from

it was offered to everyone who wanted one. it was posted weeks prior to when it would go up, where it would go. further than that, I cant control.

it wasn't 4 different /100 variants, and it wasn't a gimmick, its our wedding colors. and it was needed here, I wanted all the colors. this was done for us and shared with everyone. no one had to buy all the colors, one would have done

I'm just pointing out that splitting it into 4 colors has the same effect of reducing the pressing numbers even further (as people will be enticed to buy multiples as well as making them look more attractive for ebaying), and it was already a small pressing.

I didn't call this a gimmick. I said that it is used as a gimmick for some bands that probably aren't popular enough to even put their stuff out on vinyl yet.

I'm not going after MI variants and I'm not crying over missing this. Just consider making another batch down the line on black vinyl without pressing numbers (an indefinite press) for people who would just like the record and you will make people like me happy too (who would just like a copy). You still have something special for your wedding but can make everyone happy. That would be my request.

I'm just pointing out that splitting it into 4 colors has the same effect of reducing the pressing numbers even further (as people will be enticed to buy multiples as well as making them look more attractive for ebaying), and it was already a small pressing.

I didn't call this a gimmick. I said that it is used as a gimmick for some bands that probably aren't popular enough to even put their stuff out on vinyl yet.

I'm not going after MI variants and I'm not crying over missing this. Just consider making another batch down the line on black vinyl without pressing numbers (an indefinite press) for people who would just like the record and you will make people like me happy too (who would just like a copy). You still have something special for your wedding but can make everyone happy. That would be my request.

no one was allowed to buy multiple copies of colors via solidarity. I enforced that and refunded anyone who attempted. I split it into colors and reduced the pressing number on purpose! haha

I get your point 100%, I really do. if this was a normal release I wouldn't have done this. but its for our wedding, so I really don't care! haha I was mainly focused on us being happy. selfish, probally. it is what it is

if its repressed, it wont be on more than 1-2 colors.

You guys should quit bitching. Randy was nice enough to release this for us to have a chance to get this, he didn't have to. This is for HIS WEDDING. Not for us, be happy that he gave enough warning as to when they were going up and where they would be.

Yep this. He did it for his wedding, then thought, hey Ill do some more for others to be able to get it. Then went on to tell us the day and time it would be put up. Now people are upset the weren't able to get it and it is his duty to press more. Forget that. Randy, thank you for all you have done and have a great wedding!

I'm not responding to randy anymore, just the people complaining about others expressing their opinion.

Taking the argument to the extreme, if he had put 10 up for sale and publicised when they were going up, would you say the same thing? Or 100?

Yeah, I forgot about it and others didn't. My loss, their gain. But no one is saying that "it could have been clearer when these were being made available". Randy could have personally sent me a text saying they are going up and to grab one. It still wouldn't change the fact that there were 400 available for a release that 1000 people probably want. It just might have been someone else saying these things.

I personally would have rather it was only for the wedding than publicly available but in small numbers. It's the same thing we teach our 5 year old kids -- don't bring treats to school unless you have enough to share with everyone. If you don't agree, we can call it a difference of opinion. But I'm not in the wrong for expressing that opinion.

If you're into record collecting and you're complaining about limited numbers I think you might be in the wrong game. Not that you have to collect rare stuff to be into records, but most people do. If you don't, surely you have some more rare releases you'd trade for my standard, available everywhere black?

Even if there were 1000 pressed, this still would have sold out quickly, and there would inevitably be a bunch of people who missed it. So does there being 400 and not 1000 really make it that much better? People will miss out no matter what. Such is life. Such is record collecting.

I'm not responding to randy anymore, just the people complaining about others expressing their opinion.

Taking the argument to the extreme, if he had put 10 up for sale and publicised when they were going up, would you say the same thing? Or 100?

Yeah, I forgot about it and others didn't. My loss, their gain. But no one is saying that "it could have been clearer when these were being made available". Randy could have personally sent me a text saying they are going up and to grab one. It still wouldn't change the fact that there were 400 available for a release that 1000 people probably want. It just might have been someone else saying these things.

I personally would have rather it was only for the wedding than publicly available but in small numbers. It's the same thing we teach our 5 year old kids -- don't bring treats to school unless you have enough to share with everyone. If you don't agree, we can call it a difference of opinion. But I'm not in the wrong for expressing that opinion.

Then why limit any records? There should be test pressings done for everyone who wants one and we should continue pressing every record on every color it was pressed on until everyone has one.

One of the reasons vinyl is coming back is because of the limited nature and the fact that records can hold/increase their value. If pressings were unlimited so that everyone who wanted it got it, these records wouldn't be getting pressed in the first place.

Which is why a black repress with plenty of numbers would make everyone like me happy, and all I was suggesting to Randy.

Not trying to bring down the record variant game (clearly you can tell I drift to the side of wanting fewer variants in record collecting based on my general posting). Just dropping a line to the only guy that has the power to make more that based on these numbers and the speed of sales that there are clearly going to be a lot of people who are left out on this for whatever reason. And also that he can have his special moment without excluding a lot of people from sharing it with him.

But he's obviously NOT wanting a ton of people to have this release. pressing 1000 plus would defeat his idea

Well then that is where I would just have to leave it at a difference of opinion. I would be totally fine with someone wanting to do something that was for their wedding guests only (by "totally fine" I mean I wouldn't say a word about it). I don't see why selling 400 to people on the internet who have nothing to do with the wedding would be any more special than selling 2000 but it would make another 1600 people happy to have the songs.

Maybe he doesn't have the funds to make an extra 1600 of them? Maybe he's too busy with the wedding and running his own record label to get them together in a timely manner. Maybe he just doesn't want to?

A wedding 7 inch with 2000+ pressed doesn't/wouldn't have the same feeling as having something special that you want to share with much less people than that. Can't get mad at him for wanting to keep it more intimate, while at the same time getting it in the hands of fans and people who know how to use an alarm clock.

One of the reasons vinyl is coming back is because of the limited nature and the fact that records can hold/increase their value. If pressings were unlimited so that everyone who wanted it got it, these records wouldn't be getting pressed in the first place.

This is the truth! It makes it fun...sometimes too!

Again. The timing of the sale has nothing to do with how many people get left out. It just might change up who is in and who is out. Nothing I am saying has anything to do with time.

And I get that records take time and money. So hopefully the sales of the first batch will provide funds to do a repress later after the wedding when there is more time. That is all.