My Crosley CR8005a-bl seems to be jumping grooves one brand new records.

I just got it a little over a month ago. It seems to be only with my 180g records. Does that make sense? They're fresh out of the plastic and I even cleaned them to make sure? Is it a broken needle? Doesn't seem to be broken and whenever I put on a less than 180 gram record it does fine. HELP ME. If this is some stupid noobie mistake I made I'm gunna pissed.

I figured that, but it was a gift. I would not have bought one myself.

heres how to fix it.

1. go out by a quality TT

2. set the crosley on fire

3. pee on the ashes. 

;)

problem solved. 

but really, its a cheaply made table, the amount of things that can go wrong are astronomical.

• 3 weeks later...

If you hate your records so much that you're already using a Crosley table, you might as well just throw them out if you have enough disdain for them to also put a penny on top of the cartridge.  That was the worst advice ever.

The odds are your turntable... er... record player isn't level.  Get a spirit level, place it on the platter, and make sure it's level.

If its mainly 180g... it could also have to do with the VTA (back me up here duders? Thoughts?). They probably didn't design those record players to be able to handle a 180g record (more than likely Crosley has no idea how to do anything correctly on a record player). So... as was said before... get a real table.

If its mainly 180g... it could also have to do with the VTA (back me up here duders? Thoughts?). They probably didn't design those record players to be able to handle a 180g record (more than likely Crosley has no idea how to do anything correctly on a record player). So... as was said before... get a real table.

I agree.  If the problem is only with 180 gram records, then the thickness of said records is pretty much the only variable - at least in relation to the tonearm - and you're left with a different VTA.

If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about how crappy Crosleys are, I don't know what does.  I mean, you alter the variable tracking angle by, what - a friggin' degree or two - and the result is major mistracking?

I appreciate the fact that kids want something cheap to test the waters of vinyl playback; it's just too bad that it has to be with cheap crap.  To go with the water metaphor, that's like deciding you want to learn how to swim and taking your first dip in a sewage pond.

I considered the possible VTA issue, but the difference between a standard LP and 180 gram is fraction of a millimeter, changing the angle by maybe a fraction of a degree.  It seems extremely unlikely, but as Chuck said, it's a Crosley, so all bets are off.  It should probably have an anti skate mechanism, but probably doesn't. 

I vote for a board filter that automatically changes the word "crosley" to "pile of manure" or something similarly classy. When you think about it, manure isn't really that bad.

Just imagine: My pile of manure seems to be jumping grooves on brand new records. Has a greater sentence ever been written on VC?

Dude, don't take away the opportunity for people to spew shit and sound smart for each other.

Obviously you don't care about expanding your knowledge. Which is fine, but are your constant posts about your opinion necessary? For those trying to expand knowledge, the posts are necessary. Trying to build knowledge within the community is the purpose of this forum. Being an ass, is not.

No, I read it because I was interested in what would warrant a revival in a 20+ day old thread on Crosleys.  I get the theory behind VTA causing issues, and it may help someone that has the ability to adjust it on their table, so there's that.  But, when the issue is that the question at hand is one of how to fix something that basically can't be fixed with the available attunements, I don't really see the point of the thread.

For someone that likes to tout their opinion so flagrantly, you're a little soft when it comes to someone stating theirs that doesn't agree with yours.  Good to know.

Why did I say what I said?

1. The OP gets it, he has a Crosley :(

2. How many more people need to post in here about how sucky Croselys are? See 1.

3. I was tired of clicking on the hardware subforum only to see this at the top. :(

That being said, I think it is important to educate people on why something is of poor quality. I remember things long term by understanding why and how, and I'm sure i'm not the only one. The fact that the balance of the tonearm is thrown off with a 180g record is very interesting. Explaining to people, without piling on too hard, why Croselys are bad is much more productive than just saying they suck.

Ultimately, my comment was meant to be slightly lighthearted, I guess it just needed a tongue smiley or something.