Record Store Day

Guest Fredneck

I'm working at Skully'z Records (http://www.facebook.com/skullyzrecordznola) on Bourbon Street for store credit on that day. If you are hitting up NOLA for RSD, holla at me.

I'm legitimately going to miss this. The past two years, I've been able to get just about everything I wanted at Skully'z and Euclid.

I'm legitimately going to miss this. The past two years, I've been able to get just about everything I wanted at Skully'z and Euclid.

Although I worked for credit for a year at Euclid, they're trying to keep with the spirit of the day and they won't hold anything for me. And since they have enough staff on Saturday, it's unlikely that they would need me. So last year I talked to Scott at Skully'z since I knew him from selling records at the Raids. He let me be the door man. And, he needed help again this year. This way, I can show up, grab what I want and pretty much have it all paid for by working for six hours.

Has anyone been to the Hollywood Amoeba on RSD?  I'm sure it's a madhouse, but is it all worth it?

i've been to amoeba on RSD, but never right when they open. i've never had a problem going later in the day and finding releases i wanted without having to wait in line (though there's rarely more than 2 or 3 RSD releases i'm interested in each year, so your mileage may vary).

Yeah, that in no way sounds like fun. In that case, I'll guess I'll stay far away. 

They have a pretty efficient system though. While you're in line they give you a paper with all the RSD releases listed and you check a box next to each one you want. Then they take your list and assign you a number with an estimated time to return. During that time you can browse the store, go get lunch, participate in some RSD related events, etc. Meanwhile, an employee bags the stuff you want (everything's behind the counter) that's still available. They also keep an updated list of things that are sold out so that you don't spend your time waiting for something that's already gone, although some stuff does sell out between the time you request it and it's your turn to get your stuff bagged. There are tons of people, but it's relatively calm.

I'm only interested in a couple of things really (and those aren't even must haves), but wanted to have the whole RSD experience since its my first year in and around LA.  However, as I've gotten older, I'm tend to shy away from huge (and crazy) crowds.  If it's really not as disorderly as you guys say, it may be worth checking out.

via metal sucks..

Record Store Day is a-comin’, and with it, the expected plethora of special releases that you will either find incredibly cool or incredibly gimmicky, depending on your point of view. So props to Earache for coming up with such a release that actually manages to stand out from the pack: The World’s Shortest Album, a limited edition 5″ that has thirteen songs on it, but is all of eighty-three seconds long.

You shouldn’t even need to ask how that’s possible, but in case you’re either new here or just very dense, the answer is, “grindcore,” a genre for which an eighty-three second run time is basically a double album.

Here’s the track listing, via No Clean Singing:

Side A:
01. Napalm Death – “You Suffer” (1.9s)
02. Napalm Death – “Dead” (2.7s)
03. Napalm Death – “Your Achievement” (4.2s)
04. Wormrot – “False Grind Sodomy” (2.5s)
05. Wormrot – “You Suffer But Why Is It My Problem” (4.0s)
06. Brutal Truth – “Collateral Damage” (4.0s)
07. Anal Cunt – “Howard Wulkan’s Bald” (4.0s)

Side B:
01. Lawnmower Deth – “Be Scene Not Heard” (4.7s)
02. Painkiller – “Trailmarker” (6.0s)
03. Brutal Truth – “Blockhead” (7.3s)
04. Morbid Angel – “Bil Ur-Sag #2 Lava” (6.9s)
05. Anal Cunt – “Windchimes Are Gay” (9.5s)
06. Insect Warfare – “Street Sweeper” (13.5s)

So I guess this comp could theoretically lead to a very long discussion regarding why the hell grind bands even record such songs in the first place, but I don’t really feel like having that discussion. Like all Record Store Day releases, it’s really just meant to entice you to visit an actual honest-to-Christ record store, and there are certainly more ignoble aspirations in the world.

Below, enjoy a video of The World’s Shortest Album being played in its entirety. 

hoping to score the ATDI and Blind Melon represses.

didn't really see anything else i was interested in, with the exception of Mercury Rev, but considering RSD prices, i'm doomed to spend $50 on these two alone.

wait. samiam, too.

shit.

i need money.

ATDI will be no problem at all i believe its out of like 4000. 

Has anyone done RSD in NYC? Which stores have the most of the day's exclusive releases? I'm planning on heading to Generation and Other.

I have done it for the last few years..

Other Music usually has the most BUT..  Generation will have more punk  / hc / metal releases..

so really depends on what sort of stuff you're looking for.  Generation has a lot of stuff.

I haven't done Academy . Sound fix  . Permanent in Brooklyn..

don't do Kim's.  that place is a shit show on RSD.  the first time I went they literally emptied a box out in front

of everyone and it was a free for all..

I've heard J and R downtown has some good stuff but I have only done that on black friday..