Albums you took a blind chance on and it paid off?

Guest Secular Haze

Burst - Lazarus Bird. Was immediately drawn in by "sounds like Mastodon and Neurosis." It's an album that continues to blow me away from start to finish, 5 years later. Another brilliant act from Sweden.

Żegota ‎– Movement In The Music (bought because I liked the cover)

33.3 ‎– 33.3 (this band Tenebre I like listed them as a influence)

Just A Fire ‎– Light Up (Knew they were related to the band Hoover)

Amanda Woodward ‎– La Décadence De La Décadence (never heard them, but were mentioned in european skramz/screamo circles)

Old Baby ‎– Misunderstanding Human Behavior (bought essentially just to support Young Widows on tour)

most recently was Giant Henry's "Big Baby" album. purchased it a few months after record store day. i honestly hadn't heard of it prior. but i figured 2/3 of Unwound couldn't be bad. 

Modern Baseball - Sports

Coasta - Sunzal

Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News (Obviously knew Float on and Ocean Breathes Salty, but didn't realize how amazing the rest of the record was)
John K Samson - Provincial (I love the Weakerthans, but wasn't too sure about this and ended up loving it)

I have also purchased several Tom Waits albums without ever listening to them beforehand, and I haven't heard a song that I don't like on any album.

Off the top of my head, I had never heard of these bands when I picked them up:

Northstar - Is this thing loaded?

The Morning Light - S/T

Every Avenue - Shh. Just go with it. They had a sale for the album and a sweet looking shirt for $12 or something so I picked it up, was really glad I did.

Mae - The Everglow & Straylight Run - S/T - I remember they used to have a small end aisle section at Target that had TBS and The Used and other bands I liked on it, so I started grabbing some of the stuff I had never heard of, these were 2 of them. Love both of these albums, The Everglow is one of my favorite albums ever, definitely paid off.

Rapider Than Horsepower/The Mae Shi - "Do Not Ignore the Potential"

Bought it because a guy on DF was selling it for super cheap and I'd remembered liking the few Mae Shi songs I'd heard. By far one of my favorite records ever, perfect weirdo noise-rock freak outs.

And to a lesser extent, Algernon's first record, because I'd been loving "Fun" but it took me to buy SKOC to really get into it.

One time when I was young I had to choose between two albums by different bands without hearing either beforehand, and in hindsight, made (in my opinion) the right choice.

Story time: It was in the fall in year 2000, entering 6th grade. At the mall with my mom, went into a music store (can't remember if it was a Sam Goody or FYE) and she said I could get one CD of my choice. So I grabbed a copy of Godsmack's Awake because a friend told me it was awesome, and a copy of Deftone's White Pony because I recently overheard a few cool 8th graders talking about it.

Not hearing either band before that, I sat there looking at both albums trying to make a decision, and ended up choosing Deftones.

Looking back on that decision, I would say during my formative middle school years, that album did a major part in leading me towards the light of awesome music.

recently, pity sex's "feast of love".

a friend of mine posted "sedated" off that album on their facebook and i really dug it.

a few days later i ran into the album at a record store and went for it!

love love LOVE it.

Same for me. Wasn't a huge fan of Dark World but PO'd FOL without hearing any songs as I was afraid I'd get into it later and miss out on the sweet colours. And that did indeed happen - love the record.