PO: Have Mercy - The Earth Pushed Back - Out 5/21/2013 via Topshelf

So yeah, I got this tonight. They were selling it for 15 bucks but when I started to waver from getting it they decided to sell it to me for 10. Nice guys, hahaha. Was the 180g black too even after they said it was the white one. Was very excited to see.

They're so funny when performing. Cracked jokes the entire time, really put a smile on my face. Closed with Let's Talk About Your Hair too, probably my favorite by them. Great performance.

Congrats on saving $5 from a small (and local to you?) band. 

Congrats on saving $5 from a small (and local to you?) band. 

Exactly what I was thinking. Pretty lame if you ask me. And I don't think Serum was being a shithead by bringing it up.

You manipulated the band to give you the record for even less than Topshelf is selling it. And for what reason? Just to save a few bucks? Bucks that the band could use. I know it's just one record, but it's like the arguments against not voting. If you think well it's just one person so it doesn't make a difference, that somehow justifies it. But if everyone does what you did then the band loses 10, 50, or 100 bucks. The point is you like the music/band and you manipulated the band to avoid paying the full price. It's just my opinion and clearly the opinion of others that that's pretty shitty. I'm all for bargain shopping, but doing it at a show through sort of veiled haggling with the band is not appropriate in my view.

I mostly said that to prove how nice the guys are, and how they mostly care about just getting the record out there, driving up respect for them, word of mouth about things like this mean a lot for small bands. I mean, look at some label owners here, by being nice people they get extra business. Didn't mean it as a brag or exploit. I now have a ton of respect for them as people and that'll help them stick in my mine in the future.

Lol idk man, we all thought it. He just said it. I'm all for saving a buck but let's be real, if there's a band that needs the $5 gas money it's probably those dudes.

The band was willing to sell it to for him for $10...I guess let's all be mad at Have Mercy instead of Cwhit. I've negotiated with bands on t-shirts multiple times and I wouldn't mind paying less on an LP. He still supported them by going to the show and buying the record so let's all calm down.

That being said, I'm spinning this now and I'm very happy.

The band was willing to sell it to for him for $10...I guess let's all be mad at Have Mercy instead of Cwhit. I've negotiated with bands on t-shirts multiple times and I wouldn't mind paying less on an LP. He still supported them by going to the show and buying the record so let's all calm down.

That being said, I'm spinning this now and I'm very happy.

As I said, the point of this was to show the band cares about people getting their records first with the money part second, that's worth a lot of respect. I know a majority of bands wouldn't ever do that.

The band was willing to sell it to for him for $10...I guess let's all be mad at Have Mercy instead of Cwhit. I've negotiated with bands on t-shirts multiple times and I wouldn't mind paying less on an LP.

I'm going to say you're an asshole then.

I've had to sell shit to your kind before on tour. Letting a $20 dollar shirt go for $15 at the risk of getting nothing. cash flow is the most important things on tour. It pays for the gas and food you eat. The hotel and shower you desperately need.

At least cwhit said it as an attempt to boost how rad they are. He just put a hahaha instead of "I was pretty greatfull bc I was low on cash" confusing it for a brag.

You're just down for paying less no matter who's pocket it comes out of.

Making you the dick we thought cwhit was being.

Just quickly comment that you tip incredibly or buy lots and lots of stuff to even it out at the merch table so you don't look like a prick.

I'm going to say you're an asshole then.

I've had to sell shit to your kind before on tour. Letting a $20 dollar shirt go for $15 at the risk of getting nothing. cash flow is the most important things on tour. It pays for the gas and food you eat. The hotel and shower you desperately need.

At least cwhit said it as an attempt to boost how rad they are. He just put a hahaha instead of "I was pretty greatfull bc I was low on cash" confusing it for a brag.

You're just down for paying less no matter who's pocket it comes out of.

Making you the dick we thought cwhit was being.

Just quickly comment that you tip incredibly or buy lots and lots of stuff to even it out at the merch table so you don't look like a prick.

Did I say that I try to negotiate every single time I go to the merch table??? Sell shit to my kind? Get off your high horse.

I go to shows every month and have maybe bought a few shirts over the years at less than they were listed at the merch table. I buy something 9 times out of 10 that I walk up to the table. When you have been to as many shows as I have, you may pay less than full price for a few things or a band may even give you something for free. This is especially when you enjoy talking to the band and they enjoy talking to you but you're not that into their music yet. I remember buying an AL4W shirt that I didn't need for $10 instead of $15 and a Balance and Composure shirt for $5.  I've seen both band 3 or 4 times each since then and offered plenty of support. They seem to be doing ok without my extra $5-10.

That being said, if a band offers to sell an LP to me that I'm on the fence about for $10 instead of $15, I wouldn't call myself an ass hole for taking the deal. Please remember that Have Mercy was willing to sell it to him. Also, I have been pushing this band hard on people for the past two years and continued to do so with this release. I'd hope the band doesn't think I'm an ass hole because I was ok with one guy buying their record for $10 instead of $15.

I'm not worried about looking like a prick because I know I'm not one. The band members I talk to at shows or at the merch table know I'm not a prick.  Multiple people on this board could likely vouch for my behavior at shows and in life but who really gives a fuck. If you don't want to sell something to a potential fan for $5 less, than don't. And I won't think you're an ass hole for it!

I was just stating my opinion based on principle. I know it's "just one person" in this case. But I'm sure there are plenty of people throughout tours that are "on the fence" about buying products from bands. So if they lose $5 bucks to every one of those, that can add up. I am glad that Have Mercy is okay with doing this and that does show how cool they are as a band that they are willing to spread their music over making money...even though Cwhit already knows of their music so it doesn't really have the effect of spreading their music to a make a new fan in that example. The fact is that it would make more sense to be able to talk down prices for products of big corporations, though that isn't really possible at all, where losing a few hundred, or hundred thousand or even a million dollars really wouldn't make that much of a dent. But losing even 50-100 dollars for a touring band like this or others can make a difference. So I just believe in principle that it's best to pay the full price if you're able to. If all you have is 10 bucks in your pocket and you ask if they can swing that, I could understand. But from the sound of it, it seems like Cwhit could have paid the 15 and just didn't want to. Whatevs.

i think it comes down to, if someone is literally trying to haggle with the band, then they should definitely fuck off and get a grip.  however, if you go with the intention of buying a shirt or, lp, and legitimately realize you're $5 short, let the band know, "fuck, sorry guys, i only have $10 on me, i'll pick it up later online" or something along those lines, then if they offer to take $10, then obviously its fine.  i saw touche amore in edmonton last year, on a tour that you know they weren't making any money on.  they had their lp listed at $20 cdn, and the ta/mdam split at $5cdn.  i only had $20, so i told them i'd just grab the lp, after originally asking for both thinking i had more than $20 in my wallet.  they were happy to give me the 7" too.  i didnt even ask, they just told me to grab it.  and no, i didn't fee guilty, because that $20 in their pocket is going to help them more than $0.  

however, i would never try and haggle a band down on their merch prices.  if you do that you are shit.  they need to eat.  

anyways, this should be arriving any day, can't wait to spin it.  

I didn't realize me giving cwhit a deal would start a full on war! Calm down guys!

But for those of you that want to see us in your town you can do one of two things 1) email [email protected] or 2) Bug the shit out of Kevin and Seth on twitter on their personal accounts ;-)

And thank you guys for all of your kind words about our album. That's the kind of stuff that keeps us going and doing this stuff. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

-Andrew

I didn't realize me giving cwhit a deal would start a full on war! Calm down guys!

But for those of you that want to see us in your town you can do one of two things 1) email [email protected] or 2) Bug the shit out of Kevin and Seth on twitter on their personal accounts ;-)

And thank you guys for all of your kind words about our album. That's the kind of stuff that keeps us going and doing this stuff. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

-Andrew

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

-Andrew

No war, just a discussion about the difference between sweet band dudes giving deals and kids that feel entitled to discounts and ask smaller bands for one bc they know they can haggle one.

Can wait to hear these jams live, See ya in two weeks!

No war, just a discussion about the difference between sweet band dudes giving deals and kids that feel entitled to discounts and ask smaller bands for one bc they know they can haggle one.

Can wait to hear these jams live, See ya in two weeks!

No hard feelings or war. I understand that you just have a very strong opinion on the matter. Enjoy the show!