PO: Have Mercy - The Earth Pushed Back - Out 5/21/2013 via Topshelf

I'm really on the fence about the recent announcement. I'm glad the band is getting more exposure and all but Hopeless has turned into a pretty lame label (not that they were ever really cool) Topshelf was a really good fit for these guys and I'm pretty bummed to see them go. Their two songs of the daisy head split were okay at best. Nothing like The Earth Pushed Back. Anyone from Topshelf want to comment on way the band decided to go with Hopeless? More money?

Well sometimes bands decide to jump onto bigger labels because they hope to reach a bigger audience and with all the cool bands out there it sometimes seems hard to be recognized. Although I don't think this way I can imagine that this is a reason. I feel the same way like you but I hope the best.

I would have liked Have Mercy to stay on Topshelf. I don't think Hopeless is the worst label that they could have signed to. Silverstein's latest release on Hopeless (first album after leaving Victory) kicked some major ass, and while they are not even remotely comparable genres, I think Hopeless could give Have Mercy the popularity they deserve. Much better choice than Rise or Fearless, that's for damn sure.

For now, I guess we'll wait and see, eh?

Also those four songs on the Daisyhead/Have Mercy split are four of the most played songs in my library right now... absolutely love them.

I found their songs off the split to lack any substance, whatsoever.  

Anyways, about the move to Hopeless, again, I think its stupid.  Good for them, but why Hopeless?  Hopeless hasn't launched any bands into the spotlight.  The Wonder Years were already huge, and the rest of their bands are either washed up and past their prime, or poppy bullshit, save for The Dangerous Summer.  Not to mention them being a fluffy indie label that sells $18 single LPs, cheesy merch, and whose main appeal is teen girls.  In 3 years, I wouldn't be surprised if these guys have disappeared into obscurity.   I just don't see how Hopeless fucking records was a logical move after releasing an album like The Earth Pushed Back.  

I think Hopeless is killing it with their signings the past year or two... I definitely can't complain personally with them signing there.  It seems like Hopeless gives their bands the freedom to write the albums they want to write, and I definitely think it'll give Have Mercy more exposure than Top Shelf would have, although that is admittedly a result of seeing bands like All Time Low, New Found Glory, Taking Back Sunday, Bayside, The Wonder Years, etc. on the label.

Overall, I don't see how signing with a label like that would be bad for Have Mercy.  Top Shelf is a great label, but Hopeless is pretty top notch a label you can sign to without actually signing with a major label.  I just don't know personally if Hopeless does well with their smaller bands, or if those smaller acts flair out.  I definitely know that some of their recent signings have produced pretty solid albums - with TBS, Bayside, The Wonder Years, and Neck Deep being prime examples.

Neck Deep is one of the smaller bands to sign with the label... how do people feel about where they've gone in terms of exposure and sound?  I think they've definitely gotten a larger fanbase with their latest effort, and it's possible Hopeless helped with that.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...