PO: Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

well... including postage the indie version from the UK store would cost me £23.70.

Or I could get the deluxe from Amazon.co.uk for £26.35 incl. shipping.

As someone earlier said, like clockwork will never beat the first 3 albums, but I've regularly been listening to the songs on likeclockwork.tv and the songs have grown on me. So I might as well shell out those extra 2.50 for the deluxe. :P

gah why do people feel the need to compare this to their first albums? Songs for the Deaf was their third album and that came out 11 years ago. No shit its going to be different! This continues them pushing the envelope as far as what they're capable of and is an amazing album along with the rest of their discography.

gah why do people feel the need to compare this to their first albums? Songs for the Deaf was their third album and that came out 11 years ago. No shit its going to be different! This continues them pushing the envelope as far as what they're capable of and is an amazing album along with the rest of their discography.

Songs for the Deaf and Like Clockwork had Grohl, Lanegan and Oliveri involved. When you get that kind of talent together on one album, expectations increase. I don't think anybody was expecting Like Clockwork to sound just like the first 3 albums but I did expect the guests on this album to be featured a little more prominently. I will say though, Like Clockwork is a good album that continues to grow on me every time I hear it. 

actually SFTD and Like Clockwork were the only two to have Grohl on it and Oliveri was a permanent member after the self titled, as Homme and him were in Kyuss, but then got kicked out of the band after SFTD came out because of his domestic violence problems. Lanegan has been on every album since Rated R, and is pretty much an unofficial member in a sense; shit hes the first person you hear on the album on Lullabies. They've always had really good guests on their albums and have done it in such a way that doesn't really flaunt the guests, like rappers do when there's a guest vocalist, but they get some badass dudes. Shit, Rob Halford was on Rated R for Feel Good Hit of the Summer. SFTD had Twiggy Ramirez and Blag Dahlia as DJs in the interludes and Dean Ween was on three of the songs on the album, and helped write Make It Whichu on EV. Shirley Manson, Jack Black, and mf'in Billy Gibbons were on Lullabies. For some reason this album has been getting the most hype about the guests, or maybe people just expected more this time with such other big names like Elton John, idk. This album definitely is a grower, but badass nonetheless.

I think how prominent all the guest were on SFTD, and I guess I'm including Grohl in that list, always made me think it would be the same when they announced subsequent albums. I've also been wrong every time.

You'd think I'd learn. I guess on the new one they are pretty prominent in certain spots.

actually SFTD and Like Clockwork were the only two to have Grohl on it and Oliveri was a permanent member after the self titled, as Homme and him were in Kyuss, but then got kicked out of the band after SFTD came out because of his domestic violence problems. Lanegan has been on every album since Rated R, and is pretty much an unofficial member in a sense; shit hes the first person you hear on the album on Lullabies. They've always had really good guests on their albums and have done it in such a way that doesn't really flaunt the guests, like rappers do when there's a guest vocalist, but they get some badass dudes. Shit, Rob Halford was on Rated R for Feel Good Hit of the Summer. SFTD had Twiggy Ramirez and Blag Dahlia as DJs in the interludes and Dean Ween was on three of the songs on the album, and helped write Make It Whichu on EV. Shirley Manson, Jack Black, and mf'in Billy Gibbons were on Lullabies. For some reason this album has been getting the most hype about the guests, or maybe people just expected more this time with such other big names like Elton John, idk. This album definitely is a grower, but badass nonetheless.

You're right, good post. If you hadn't told me before listening that Oliveri, Lanegan, Elton John and Grohl were on the album I would've never known. I think Trent Reznor's appearances are the only ones that really stick out. The guests have definitely fueled the hype but I also think QOTSA have done a great job marketing this album with the use of the videos and social media in general. 

Scored the Deluxe Edition for $37 at my local record store, no idea how I pulled that off.

Just pulled the trigger on a deluxe from Matador for $39.something PPD.  Is that considered a steal, or...?

And pardon the foolish question, but I couldn't help but notice the Backorder warning on Matador's site -- should I be concerned?  I'd assume that when and if the deluxe copies sell out, they'd update the site to reflect this.  (Much like the Indie version, right now.)  I'm hoping there are no snags.  Really can't wait to see this thing in person, based off everything I've read and what little I've seen.  The album itself has grown on me considerably.

Not ragging on anyone who picked up an Indie version, but I've got to say that the original (red) cover looks so much more appealing to me.  Especially with the amount of red that I've seen in the accompanying art book, so far.  I also like how both variations of ...Like Clockwork seem like a vague nod to Rated R / Rated X's art.