Shipping damage is almost completely PREVENTABLE.

Guest realtalk

(except when USPS punctures holes through your package, runs them over or melts them)

Many of you are probably thinking "stupid Moonbeams thread. we have this in the sales/wants section." Yeah, its there, but I'm still getting records beat up all the time and I'm sure most people here haven't seen my post. Below is a sure-as-hell technique to prevent corner damage. Give it a chance.

The vast majority of my collection has dinged up corners and other preventable damage from shipping accidents.

All of these accidents could have been easily prevented if sellers put a little more time and care into their orders. Below are some tips that should be rules for sending records.

Seam splits

Send the record outside the jacket. (You'd think common sense by now, but the last couple of records I received were sent inside the jackets),

*do not send the record outside the dust-sleeve where it brushes against cardboard in the mailer. You should have seen my horror when I received a NM Green Day 39/smooth on green vinyl like this. Whole record will be fucked.

Water damage

It is common practice to leave an LP mailer in front of someone's door when delivered. It is also common for rain to fall in some parts of the world. Send your records in plastic sleeves. If there's no flap, tape it over so water can't get in. (Last two used LPs I received had no plastic sleeves).

Corner Damage

Don't be lazy if you're just sending a few packages. Take a moment and do what I do:

IMG_8861.jpgIMG_8860.jpg

See, that wasn't so hard. These people were really happy to get their records in NM condition.

Bends

Yes, accidents happen, especially with USPS. But it is your job to anticipate all accidents. You don't just put a record in a mailer and send it off. Anticipate that your record will be like a football (either American or soccer ball). Package the record knowing its going go through hell.

What you need:

- 2 sheets of STURDY cardboard (note, this will affect shipping costs for sending overseas)

- tape

Place the jacket and record together (record outside of jacket, inside dust sleeve) inside a plastic sleeve and seal it to protect for water damage. Place the record on a sturdy sheet of cardboard. Cardboard must not be smaller than the record. Tape it centered. Place another sheet on top, center it and tape it. Now open your mailer and tape everything in the center so nothing can slide around. Close the mailer super tight.

After applying the corner things on this type of package, your record is ready for a battle royale. It should survive being dropped, thrown, and punched.

Sorry if I sound condescending. That's just how I talk, actually.

Well written and informative... I'm sure this will help some of the newbies to vinyl who inevitably do not use the search function and who do not visit other sections of the board.

Too bad there's a lot of trolls ragging on you for no significant reason. :(

I was just about to change my name to this, but now I'm not going to.

I haven't read the last two pages. Reading my threads stresses me out and puts me in a bad mood. I have thin skin. I'll read it tomorrow. Good night, everyone.

Mine was only a joke. I just get a chuckle out of your threads and would love it if you changed your name to that.

Yo, no lie, I am totally into pineapple in general and that def includes on pizza, but I'll share a little tip for the pizza lovers out there.

Jalapeno + Pineapple is key.

Doesn't matter what else is on it, but those 2 together are total win.

If you don't like spicy, or don't like pineapple (esp on pizza) then disregard, you prob won't be converted, but I would say still worth a shot, unless you have stomach ailments and should avoid spicy food.

It's like the Jalapeno spices it up, but the Pineapple cools it right down. Yin and Yang.

Giardiniera and pepperoni makes the world go round.

Well, if you read the entire you post, you would have seen that this has been accounted for.

You are also mostly wrong. My records with damaged corners usually have damage on the outside.

jefferson has a point.  most of my dings are because of lose records in the package banging around.  sure sometimes i get a package with the corner bent a little but it's getting the very end of the sleeve.  you do it your way i see it happening farther in on the sleeve because there is no bend the first couple inches.

also i always hear that writing fragile on a package is an invitation to throw the fucker.  this serves the same purpose.

jefferson has a point.  most of my dings are because of lose records in the package banging around.  

assuming this is a typo, but i think this is the first time i have ever seen someone use 'lose' instead of 'loose'. whereas the opposite puts me in a perplexed rage on a weekly basis.

Yo, no lie, I am totally into pineapple in general and that def includes on pizza, but I'll share a little tip for the pizza lovers out there.

Jalapeno + Pineapple is key.

Doesn't matter what else is on it, but those 2 together are total win.

If you don't like spicy, or don't like pineapple (esp on pizza) then disregard, you prob won't be converted, but I would say still worth a shot, unless you have stomach ailments and should avoid spicy food.

It's like the Jalapeno spices it up, but the Pineapple cools it right down. Yin and Yang.

Pineapple, jalapenos, and bacon or ham is INCREDIBLE. 

I got in to it with a guy off eBay about this. I bought hot damn! By every time i die from him. its a record id long been waiting for to get for good price and in great shape due to it being in thin picture sleeves that rip with ease. upon review of the item and seller it was listed as mint and would be shipped properly. further review of a seller it showed he sold high value records and memorabilia. 100% rating. but did state no refunds. I decided to roll the dice since I recently got the rookie lot off ebay which in its own brought irony to the story due to me winning it for 30 bucks but sadly got it in an envelope wrapped too tightly with bubble wrap and tape giving the record a nice bent but not warped shape and with its already messed up paper sleeve crumpled and attached to bits of tape, itwas heart breaking. I decided that I'd email the seller with a return bc as I'm used to bends bumps and a seam split here and there on jackets (including my paramore and alkaline trio, both with paper sleeves and bad seem splitting, i left that person neutral feedback and was promptly emailed by them that i shouldve messaged them for a partial refund or return which for $65 bucks i didnt have wouldve made sense since i care for my few favorite records shape. i chalked it up to lesson learned) from shipping, the record bend was too much for me. Luckily he was very nice. he told me he was sorry, he'd found it in his old stuff and had his gf mail it out for him as to the poor shape it came in but offered a $15 partial refund bc he didn't want to go thru the hassle of it. Something I was comfortable with seeing as If I couldn't FIX it (which I did and now sits nicely on my shelf), I'd at least have something neat to frame for less than $20 (I'm a big movielife/brand new fan)

So I placed my highest bid and sniped that bitch up, hurting my RSD fund in the process. But finally owning one of my favorite albums. Sadly it eventually came. as soon as i saw it i knew i was in trouble. the mailer itself was on its last leg long ago. most sides beat up to the point of being able to see inside of it. Pieces of paper covering both portions of mailing info, hiding whats written underneath. spots were tracking and other shipping info was ripped off. As I opened the complete lack of tape, I found a very loosely packed record in a polysleeve with a slight false sense of security as I saw the inside of the mailer had gone through the same treatment the front did. When I removed the record from the bag, horror. Still in the jacket I saw the grey grooves poke out from the bottom through a giant seam split. As I started to flip it over to inspect I had a long thin strip of paper in my hand, the top of the jacket with similar strips still attached from the larger seem split. I was fucked. Finally one of my white whale slayed, still swimming. Another expensive record in a shitty jacket, housed in an even shittier picture sleeve. Defeated I looked for a less cloudy and dirty polybag that didnt still have the 17.99 sticker from where he bought it. then the kicker, a tear right through the album artist and title. I was mad, the same pissy feeling I get when I flip to my uk "this addiction" Or "all i know is falling" that i shouldve emailed about. So i did just that but wanting to just return this so i could pre order the new found glory rsd at my local brick and mortar. That's when the real fun started.

His response was an angry "I'm not responsible for damage during shipping" which really ticked me off. Besides what I'm coming to find out isn't common sense shipping procedures of sending outside the jacket, or sending an expensive record in a mailer that should've been retired two tracking #s ago. Still I pushed I wanted to return the item and I wouldnt take his $5 partial refund counter offer. He pushed his no return policy. Then i made the big mistake of sending him a link to VC's proper shipping thread showing that you could also use cardboard stiffeners, bubble wrap, and the corner thing. HE FLIPPED. proceeded to relentlessly message me saying i was just trying to scam a free record out of him even tho it was already properly packed up by me ready to be mailed back so securely to put his "business" to shame. I warned him I didn't want to open a claim against him but I wasn't just going to roll over. That's where he proceeded to let me in that he knows the "morons" from VC, he makes a living off selling records like this to idiots, and they buy from him and have similar claims open for him bc all we do is try to get free records. So I opened a claim. In the claim he stuck to his guns of I should've told him how to pack records and since its no longer mint, he doesnt want it. ending in a stalemate. I was given a courtesy refund from eBay, not him. Which he let me know. Even tho I now had no obligation to return the record, I was still pissy from his constant insults and accusations. So I left him some negative feedback "stating not knowing how to pack a record and not taking any responsibility". Which drove him to the brink, leaving me feedback stating to "AVOID trying to get free record" and then bombarding me days later with messages of how I'm an idiot for paying what I did, him keeping the money, him making a living off us "morons" and etc. the worst being when vinyl collective autocorrected to vinyl culture in a previous message and him not letting me forget it. Down to messages just saying "lol vinyl culture" when I wouldn't respond.

I currently have an open harassment case with him through eBay.

Stop me if you hear this one before

This is just the edited long ass story version.

Thanks moonbeams

I got in to it with a guy off eBay about this. I bought hot damn! And it came with seam split galore. I tried to get a refund where I just mailed this back but he freaked out and refused bc I didn't email him to pack it outside the jacket. Sucks because he sent it in a polybag too. Anyway long story short I got to keep my $ and the record and left him negative feedback bc he kept accusing me of just trying to get a free record. I eventually had to report him for harassment after his non stop messages.

You should have just asked for a partial refund or sent it back when you got your money.

I'd be pissed too if some kid was crying over a seam-split on a used record and snaked me out of money or the record itself. No bueno.

Seam-splits don't affect the record itself. Cardboard tears, that's life.

I got in to it with a guy off eBay about this. I bought hot damn! And it came with seam split galore. I tried to get a refund where I just mailed this back but he freaked out and refused bc I didn't email him to pack it outside the jacket. Sucks because he sent it in a polybag too. Anyway long story short I got to keep my $ and the record and left him negative feedback bc he kept accusing me of just trying to get a free record. I eventually had to report him for harassment after his non stop messages.

You got your money back and kept the LP (due to eBay/PayPals flawed ass system) and you still had to leave him a negative? People like you are quite annoying. 

I'd like to stick you in a box and ship you somewhere.