Queen - News of the World Promo? First Pressing?

Hey guys, I picked up a copy of Queen "News of the World" the other day and looked it up on discogs today and saw that it is labeled as a promo.  It was released the same year as the first pressing so would this be considered a first press as well, or possibly a 0th press if it was an early release promo?

Does anyone know what the promotion was?

The original pressing was CAT#: 6E-112 and this promo pressing is CAT#: 6E-112-A

Here is the discogs link:

http://www.discogs.com/Queen-News-Of-The-World/release/3763984

If anyone could help me figure all of this out I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Hey guys, I picked up a copy of Queen "News of the World" the other day and looked it up on discogs today and saw that it is labeled as a promo.  It was released the same year as the first pressing so would this be considered a first press as well, or possibly a 0th press if it was an early release promo?

Does anyone know what the promotion was?

the promotion was "world's biggest idiot"

if you're really anal about it, promo pressings tend to be first off the line and so don't suffer from the pressing plates wearing down so a handful of gigantic nerds look for them exclusively for fidelity and all that.. mostly for ripping. aside from a couple titles though (Marquee Moon, early Black Sabbath) no one's out here breaking the bank for promos

generally its in reference to copies sent out to radio stations when the album comes out. It doesn't matter now, but it explicitly stating it was promotional only prevented in resale of those copies. Not promotion like, '1,000th customer today at Denny's gets the new Queen album.'

Kjkenney is correct. Promo copies are generally first pressings. Often they also have a clipped corner or hole punch through the barcode. If you're looking for collectibility, they're generally less "desirable" than regular copies, but they play the same.

if you're really anal about it, promo pressings tend to be first off the line and so don't suffer from the pressing plates wearing down so a handful of gigantic nerds look for them exclusively for fidelity and all that.. mostly for ripping. aside from a couple titles though (Marquee Moon, early Black Sabbath) no one's out here breaking the bank for promos

Thanks guys! it doesn't really matter to me either way because I bought it to listen to, not to sell, but I was curious of what it meant. thanks!