PO: Samiam - Whatever's Got You Down re-issue

So I mentioned this in another thread that this was being worked on back in January.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=470279596364044&set=a.104826489576025.2965.103911536334187&type=1&theater

Since Clumsy and You Are Freaking Me Out are seeing reissues and Samiam mentioned this again....

https://www.facebook.com/samiamband/posts/600839036593705

....I figured its time to pump up this as well.

I never gave this album a good chance because the production is too harsh and raw. I hope this is Banner Pilot's Resignation Day because I didn't really realize how amazing it was until they tweaked the recordings.

Update 10/3/13!

PO is up! Clouds in the Sky or Multi-colored splatter!

http://store.noidearecords.com/collections/new-on-no-idea/products/samiam-whatever-s-got-you-down

Whatever's Got You Down is awesome, I'm glad I can't hear whatever issues people seem to have with it. Although it sounds like he's gargling rocks on some of those songs, I don't know what the hell happened to his voice. That's the only thing I found odd, but I got over it.

I agree.  The mix seemed alright to me, it was just that the majority of the vocals sound like Jason was sick during the recording or something.  I don't think you can remix that, unless they have a different vocal track.

clumsy, astray, and YAFMO are my favorite samiam records. so i'm stoked for the clumy and YAFMO reissues.

i plan on picking up clumsy on record store day, if i can find it.

not a very big fan of 'whatevers' tho.

i dunno what was so unappealing about it for me, but i never gave it a real chance, cos it just kinda bored me and felt weird.

clumsy, astray, and YAFMO are my favorite samiam records. so i'm stoked for the clumy and YAFMO reissues.

i plan on picking up clumsy on record store day, if i can find it.

not a very big fan of 'whatevers' tho.

i dunno what was so unappealing about it for me, but i never gave it a real chance, cos it just kinda bored me and felt weird.

it was the mix/recording that killed the record. Songs are pretty rad though. Stoked about this!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

-- If anyone is COMPLETELY RIDCULOUS and wants to invest a goat-load of bloated dough* please pester me (via PM) about test pressings**.

* a/k/a "le dough" in Quebec.

** you know, they are just like the regular records, only they are black vinyl, blank labels, have no art or lyrics, and generally cost more to collect. Exciting!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree.  The mix seemed alright to me, it was just that the majority of the vocals sound like Jason was sick during the recording or something.  I don't think you can remix that, unless they have a different vocal track.

This is on Spotify now, they clearly had different vocal tracks available unless it was re-recorded. Only listened to two songs so far but it's about as different as can be. I wasn't expecting such a drastic difference. This is weird to listen to after listening to the original a billion times. Hopefully those who didn't like the original mix will get something out of it. 

This is on Spotify now, they clearly had different vocal tracks available unless it was re-recorded. Only listened to two songs so far but it's about as different as can be. I wasn't expecting such a drastic difference. This is weird to listen to after listening to the original a billion times. Hopefully those who didn't like the original mix will get something out of it. 

They could have just used alternate takes of certain tracks. As for how different it is does that mean good or bad? Also Var when are downloads going out for these?

They could have just used alternate takes of certain tracks. As for how different it is does that mean good or bad? Also Var when are downloads going out for these?

Good or bad is up to the listener. It's just drastically different. Backing vocals that weren't previously there, some vocal parts no longer there at all, some doubled up vocal tracks, vocals sung in different keys or with different emphasis. And then there's the music as well. And I'm just listening on shitty laptop speakers at work. I was just shocked, I wasn't expecting a complete overhaul. While it wasn't necessary for me personally, it sure beats just buying another copy for the collection like the rest of their catalog that's been re-released.