RSD 2013: Tell your stories and share what you bought here!

Also Fingerprints was the site of the biggest whiner on RSD. Guy is 2nd in line at Fingerprints. Finds out that the only DMB box set is being silent auctioned off for by the store instead of being sold. Proceeds to argue with owner on it being unfair. WAH WAH. 

Honestly, I think this is shitty of Fingerprints.  The customer may have not handled himself well after being informed of this, but...RSD is a retail event.  You want to auction stuff for charity?  Do that with your own product.  Get a musician to donate a signed guitar, whatever.

But they should not, in my opinion, have ordered an item with a retail value, which customers are expecting to be able to buy for retail, and then denied customers that opportunity after having been lined up under that pretense for hours.

What if APPLE stores did this for every iPhone release?  "It's limited guys!  Sorry, you gotta bid on it today. But it's cool, right?  It's for a charity of our choice!"  It creates animosity between consumer and the place of business, which is the antithesis of RSD.

You might think it's a "shitty" release, but the customer clearly did not.  It was very limited, and the store paid for it from the distributor with what was most certainly the understanding it was being sold on RSD to a customer at retail.  Not being sold in an auction. 

If RSD released albums for FREE to stores and stipulated they must be auctioned for charity, that would be a different story.  But you go on the RSD website, and this is a retail event.  To support retail in general.  It should not be up to the discretion of one store owner to turn it into an auction for their personal or political agendas, no matter how well intentioned it may be.

If it was a record you had waited for overnight, you'd be singing a different tune.

Someone sell me a copy of NFG and Silverstein x ABR?

I have an exclusive RSD release from Singapore that is from a local band and /100 and would give it to you for free if you can sell me those! Link for band is here, http://kittywurecords.bandcamp.com/album/summer-720-b-w-e Pretty good band I would say!

Really need those as the only record store doing RSD in Singapore did not have those as expected. Glad I managed to score a few of my other wants though!

Went to two different stores this morning, both with lines around the block.  Wasn't able to get anything I was looking for, word in the line was that the people up front were buying up all the stock and each store only had a couple of each release.  Super awesome.  Probably never going to go out and fight the lines again, I'll stick to supporting my stores year-round instead.

Went to work, was able to work out buying the BTBAM box set for cost from a user on here.  Day was looking up.

Tonight Strictly Discs put a bunch of leftovers on eBay for slightly above retail, which I did jump on a few:

BTBAM - The Anatomy Of

Liquid Tension Experiment 2

Their / They're / There

I feel a little better knowing that my money did go to an actual store/distro instead some flipper douche, even though I did buy them off eBay.

Now just need a copy of ROC and I'll stfu forever

I was in Flint, MI for the weekend.  Met my buddy at the Hill Rd. Meijer at 7:15 and shot down to Ann Arbor.  We got there by 8AM.  

Based on the lists that the record stores in AA had posted on Facebook, Underground Sounds was definitely going to be the best shot for the items that I wanted.  They were scheduled to open at 10AM.  We drove past at 8AM and there were probably 25 people in line.  We parked and walked down to Encore.  No one was in line.  Their list was fairly sparse and they weren't opening until 11AM, so we headed to Underground and got in line.    All I REALLY wanted was the White Stripes LP, but I wanted to chance to get some of the other items, too.

It was COLD.  We were probably 30th in line.   They were scheduled to open at 10AM but actually opened an hour early and started letting people in, which was a nice surprise.  I didn't ask, but I have to guess that this was because it was so cold.  Also, it seemed like they initially let a number of people in.  Then, as one would leave, they would allow another person in.  It was a group of people, but more of a one-in/one-out process.  It kept the line moving, which was nice.  

We wound up getting into the store at 10AM.   Everyone there was very pleasant.  The girl greeting us offered me a couple of free label promo CDs.  

I wound up getting:

The White Stripes - Elephant 2LP - $30

VA - No Alternative 2LP - $35

Mumford & Sons - Live from Bull Moose 10" - $10

Face to Face - The Other Half 10" - $10 

Cake - Sheep Go to Heaven / Jesus Wrote A Blank Check 7" - $7

Dio / Killswitch Engage Split - Holy Diver 7" - $6

The Lonely Island - YOLO 7" - $13

We were in and out in just a couple of minutes.  I also got a cool reusable RSD2013 bag.   The items I didn't get that I wanted were the South Park 7", New Found Glory and Jimmy Eat World.  I was so happy to get what I got, and the three items I didn't get were pretty low priority for me.

I was going to get the mystery 7" but totally forgot to ask.  The guy who was two behind me in line mentioned it and I said "Hey I want that too."  The guy behind the counter said "This is the last one and I have to sell it to him (me) becuase he's ahead of you in line."  I said "No, give it to him.  I would not have even remembered if it wasn't for him."

I also got the last No Alternative comp.  There were plenty of the White Stripes album left when we were done.

We walked back down past Encore.  There still wasn't a single person in line at 10AM.  I contemplated just hanging and waiting for them to open, but there really wasn't anything on their list that I wanted.  We went to Wazoo on State Street.  There wasn't much room to move around so we took off. We walked over to Mden (Go Blue!) and Moe's Sports Shop.  On the way out, there were a couple of guys asking for change.  I gave them .80 and my buddy overheard them say "We almost have a enough for a 40!".  So I walked into the 7-Eleven across the street, purchased two King Cobra 40's, put them in paper bags and walked them back over to them.  Based on their reactions, I felt like I made their entire week.  

Underground always does the most of any place in A2. Doesn't really seem to be the "style" of the other three shops in the area. It's a great place though, and worthy of your business, for sure. The owner is a cool dude. We didn't make it there until 5, and the "bouncer" said they were "at capacity," since they were limiting the number of people in there to 10 at a time. So we left for a few minutes, and came back - BOOM, lined up again. Crazy. Good for them, though.

But they should not, in my opinion, have ordered an item with a retail value, which customers are expecting to be able to buy for retail, and then denied customers that opportunity after having been lined up under that pretense for hours.

What if APPLE stores did this for every iPhone release?  "It's limited guys!  Sorry, you gotta bid on it today. But it's cool, right?  It's for a charity of our choice!"  It creates animosity between consumer and the place of business, which is the antithesis of RSD.

Refer to what nothingnatural says below.

It was one item and it was for charity. And it was shitty Dave Matthews Band of all things. The store did nothing wrong. 

To add my two cents, I'm pretty sure Fingerprints did not specifically order just 1 copy of DMB to auction it off. They most likely ordered a few and only got left with 1. Hell, even only Amoeba in Hollywood got 2 copies. Two! So what's the best way to appease everyone and make sure the item gets put in the hands of a fan? Charity auction. Yes, I understand not all fans of DMB can afford inflated prices, but it's better than Fingerprints selling it to whoever was first and that person ending up being a flipper.

You might think it's a "shitty" release, but the customer clearly did not.  It was very limited, and the store paid for it from the distributor with what was most certainly the understanding it was being sold on RSD to a customer at retail.  Not being sold in an auction. 

If RSD released albums for FREE to stores and stipulated they must be auctioned for charity, that would be a different story.  But you go on the RSD website, and this is a retail event.  To support retail in general.  It should not be up to the discretion of one store owner to turn it into an auction for their personal or political agendas, no matter how well intentioned it may be.

If it was a record you had waited for overnight, you'd be singing a different tune.

Many record stores do the whole charity auction thing with rare RSD releases. It's nothing new and I'm sure the RSD promoters would support it.

Now you say "it should not be up to the discretion of [the] one store owner." Ideally, yes. But this is reality where store owners hold items for people and do all sorts of things. This is the name of the record game. Just because you got in line first doesn't mean you are entitled to anything. You are the customer at the end of the day, not the person who owns the product.

If it was the record I wanted and waited for overnight, of course I'd be pissed. But I'd suck it up like a man and find other ways to get it (including participating in the charity auction).

All you whiners are such noobs to the record store game. Missing out on a limited edition record because the store owner wanted to keep it, sell it to someone else, do something else with it, etc is so common and happens on the other 364 days of the year.

this was my first record store day.

I walked into the store. I pick up the Deftones Live record and the sticker price was 35.99. "i hate record store day," i muttered. and then i left. 

You could report that store to the RSD people as they do seem to take action against stores pulling shady shit (not all, but they do try to listen to all the feedback they get). Deftones was $11.99 at my shop so they are going way beyond overcharging. 

I was second in line at Sonic Boom in Toronto and managed to grab the majority of what I was after. I picked up:

-Best Coast

-Lonely Island

-Manchester Orchestra/Grouplove/Frightened Rabbit

-Phoenix

-South Park

-Titus Andronicus

Still looking for:

-CHVRCHES (Europe/Australia)

-The Hold Steady

-Jimmy Eat World

If you can help me out with any of those I will pay handsomely.

RSD went at work then and then straight to dog&cat sitter duties and today I overslept 30min from the time the leftover would go online but managed to reserve Chelsea Wolfe & King Dude 7" which I'm very happy about cos now it's no longer available. +also reserved a copy of Cult of Luna's Vertikal (though there seems to be heaps of these around so no panic kinda item).

TA/TF split would have been the cherry on the top but I'll be perfectly ok with the non-rsd version, same with The White Stripes Elephant. Hoping Their/They're/There comes available some other way too.

is euclid a chain, or are you talking about saint louis?

if it is a chain, i was unaware, but we have one out here, and they are overpriced as hell, but have a great selection.

There's a second location in New Orleans. Occasionally they share special releases, like the lenticular cover baseball 7" last RSD. The one in New Orleans has the best prices in the area and is defintely the best record store in Louisiana.

this is hilarious.  i was in BR, LA last year the week of RSD and googled a place to go. That store was insane with some of their prices.

They really are. Her new LPs are $15-20 more than any other place, and her used LPs are way high too. I stopped there when I got back in town last RSD (after making the rounds in New Orleans). Those splt 7"s were priced at $15, RSD single LPs were in the upper $20s, just crazy. Yesterday, she instagrammed a picture of two dozen people waiting in line to get into her shop, and my jaw hit the floor. A fool and their money...

got in line at Redscroll at like 830, didn't get inside till 12. Found a few things in the boxes they had outside (non-RSD items). Finally got to the RSD stuff at like 12:30, jack shit I wanted. Got the Best Coast 7", and of course my girlfriend got the last TA/TF split. Went to Newbury Comics, got The Doors 7" and Mumford & Sons 10". Not worth waiting in line that long only to be very disappointed.

Worked all day, then hit up CD Source in Dallas around 6:30. They said they only got 15 copies of ATDI which sold out immediately. Got 50 copies of Elephant, and those sold out by lunchtime. But I still managed to snag a copy of Straylight Run, Now Now, Hybrid Theory (it's just going to be worth so much), and a Bill Cosby record from '68. Would have liked T/T/T, but I'll be fine waiting until the proper release.

I rolled into Philly around 3:30 yesterday and went to Long In The Tooth. Nick told me when I checked out that he bought a ton of everything to have extras so if you're in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area, I would call them or drop in see what's left.

Used: Pennywise - Straight Ahead, Q And Not U - No Kill No Beep Beep

RSD: Grey Area - Fanbelt Algebra, Rocket From The Crypt - Group Sounds

I also ordered The Nerve Agents - Days Of The White Owl through Deathwish at 2:00 AM before I got ready for my overnight shift at Target. Thumbs up to them for having Revelation's stuff and allowing me to get one of my big wants without having to rush over to get it in store. 

Did anyone get those limited edition Postal Service Give Up postcard set? My store was giving them away for free, or was that not RSD related?

Yeah my local shop gave these out if you bought their bag bundle which also included a t-shirt and then a bunch of random cd's and other tchotchke stuff in it. 

I think the postcards were given out if you bought the new reissue of The Postal Service album.