Cake Vinyl Boxset Coming Soon per RSD 7" sleeve

The people all with their panties in a twist that this is no longer "limited" are the same people who wholeheartedly believe when their mom told them they're special.

I mean, technically it was false advertising if they repress the exact same set with the same color variants. For perspective, if a band like Third Eye Blind did this with their boxset, half of VC would be calling for their heads.

Again, glad more people are getting access to these albums at an affordable price, but it doesn't mean that Cake didn't mislead people by creating a false sense of scarcity.

I fail to see how this is "misleading the fans". The box set was initially limited to 900. Yes.

But then guess what? The band got hip to seeing that a good number of fans got shafted in either not securing one on RSD or online sales and then getting fleeced by flippers on eBay. So they recognized this and made the decision to hook their fans up by pressing more.

I fail to see how this is misleading at all.

The sense of inflated entitlement of some people is astounding.

The people all with their panties in a twist that this is no longer "limited" are the same people who wholeheartedly believe when their mom told them they're special.

I know. It's about having the music. Do we really not want others to enjoy having said music? I'm blown away. Having so much, I mean little, limited vinyl doesn't help vinyl as a whole; this only helps the collector/flipper. Having music on vinyl available helps vinyl overall.

I fail to see how this is "misleading the fans". The box set was initially limited to 900. Yes.

But then guess what? The band got hip to seeing that a good number of fans got shafted in either not securing one on RSD or online sales and then getting fleeced by flippers on eBay. So they recognized this and made the decision to hook their fans up by pressing more.

Where's the entitlement here? I haven't seen anyone saying "no one else should be able to own these albums at a fair price!". Again, I am glad they're actively working to get these out to more people  -- but based on their actions the past few days, I don't think they ever actually intended for these to be limited, so marketing them as such was a cheap ploy, and the folks who sat overnight in parking lots and paid over retail to secure it under that assumption have every right to feel misled.

It's putting a number on a release and then turning around and brushing that aside as soon as you sell through that bothers me. I just don't want artificial scarcity to become yet another acceptable gimmick in this industry.

I know. It's about having the music. Do we really not want others to enjoy having said music? I'm blown away. Having so much, I mean little, limited vinyl doesn't help vinyl as a whole; this only helps the collector/flipper. Having music on vinyl available helps vinyl overall.

leo-gatsby-drink.gif

It's not really anything other than disappointing for people who thought they were getting something limited and at the same time awesome for people who didn't get it the first go round.

To be totally honest I would definitely not have gotten in line at 3:30am in the rain if I had known I could have gotten it from the comfort of my home at a reasonable hour later on. I'm a pretty big cake fan and thus I lined up for 7 hrs to give them $150. I'm stoked for others that it will become widely available, but I do agree I would feel better about it if it was black. I'll get over it though and the world will go on. Whatever happens a boxset like this for $150 is amazing. I liken this to the DMB live box sets that have come out the past few RSDs. They get a broader and cheaper black release later which is cool, but as a fan/collector I show up early to maintain my exclusive colored versions. I don't think I'm crazy for being disappointed that in the end I'm not getting what I took time to go out of my way to get.

Cake never said what the box was limited to.  A blog first announced it would be 900 copies for RSD, and the official RSD list confirmed there were 900 under the tab 'How Many Are There?'.  That intentionally does not specify a production number because in years past people have been upset when a production run is given and then the label makes more available.  Now 'how many are there' means how many available ON RSD. It's all semantics.

And since there is no limited info given on the package, no stickers and no # of # stamped or any implied promise of rarity, anyone upset about being 'mislead' or feeling taken advantage of, only has themselves to blame for reading into things or believing wrong information from a source other than the band. 

I think this would be the fair thing to do. Re-press on black vinyl. Still get the set on vinyl, but makes the RSD set a little more special.

If I had not bought my copy on ebay I would have bought the black vinyl set...

Then they just get to hear the variant collectors whine about having to buy two boxes. There is no win win situation here. Just let them do what they want and get over it (this is not directed at you in particular).

Then they just get to hear the variant collectors whine about having to buy two boxes. There is no win win situation here. Just let them do what they want and get over it (this is not directed at you in particular).

Whine? As a variant collector myself I would happily buy a second. There is no such thing as too much Cake.