Cake Vinyl Boxset Coming Soon per RSD 7" sleeve

Never forget VC’s valuable contribution to the cluster F by leaking the store link an hour before it was sent to their mailing list (the place the band told everyone the post-RSD pre-order would be). I saw the mailing list link and bought it within 1 minute and I still had to wait several months for the SECOND pressing, since the leaked link had incurred an entire pressing’s worth of sales before we had a chance. Lol. Great memories. 

I'll take this moment to quickly remind everyone that the drummer Pete McNeal who played with CAKE from 2001-2004 (never on an album thankfully) is a convicted sex offender against a 3 year old.

Carry on.

Edited by MachoHommeRandallSauvage

4 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Some of the reviews I'm reading are claiming the box set didn't sound very good.

Anyone that can elaborate? Please let me know what you are spinning it on for a system too.

I think some of the discs had defects in the pressing but the sound quality is good-to-great.  I didn't have any of those issues, mine was the second round.

My turntable is a ProJect Essential II Digital with the stock cartridge (Ortofon OM-5E).  I just archive my stuff in 24-bit digital cuz you know... dynamic range matters and I don't like wearing down my records.

Edited by firefoxUSSR
clarity

On 2/2/2019 at 11:06 AM, vinyl addict said:

Some of the reviews I'm reading are claiming the box set didn't sound very good.

Anyone that can elaborate? Please let me know what you are spinning it on for a system too.

I have the RSD first press version. I'm running a project debut III carbon with a 2mblue. The records sound fine. I had an issue with one record, Prolonging the Magic I think, there seems to be an issue with one song where it makes a loud bump like there is a scratch but there is no visible damage. They sent a replacement and it had the same issue. They sent another replacement from the second press and it had the same issue....so I gave up. It must have been a problem with the plates they used, or a problem with the cut.

I'm quite satisfied with the sound and quality otherwise.

36 minutes ago, niblips said:

I have the RSD first press version. I'm running a project debut III carbon with a 2mblue. The records sound fine. I had an issue with one record, Prolonging the Magic I think, there seems to be an issue with one song where it makes a loud bump like there is a scratch but there is no visible damage. They sent a replacement and it had the same issue. They sent another replacement from the second press and it had the same issue....so I gave up. It must have been a problem with the plates they used, or a problem with the cut.

I'm quite satisfied with the sound and quality otherwise.

Thanks for the review! Sounds like it's not so bad then.

What happened to those other 2 copies of Prolonging the Magic? 

16 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Thanks for the review! Sounds like it's not so bad then.

What happened to those other 2 copies of Prolonging the Magic? 

One I sold on discogs and the other I gave to a friend.

Prolonging the Magic is the record they pressed in the wrong colour for the second run. That's the defining difference between the first run and second run. I think all the other records were pressed in the correct colour (but I haven't seen them to know for sure). I know this because of the multiple copies I was shipped.