List of Record Stores that overcharged for RSD releases

Jesus Christ dude. Go back and look at the comment you chose to interject yourself. I simply stated that the users story from a shop owner sounded suspect. I really don't give a shit about what you could've sold at your store. It's obvious you have the tiger by the tail and the best part is that you personify every typical preconceived notion people have about record store employees. I'll stick with my theory that the majority of your customers were clueless to the price tag when they inquired about it.

Well if we're judging each other now instead of having a conversation I'll say that it sounds like you have a problem and you only want to see how you're right in having this big issue. Not how maybe there could be some gray area here. I'll leave you to your internet attitude now instead of trying to explain a few things from the perspective of someone who actually works in the sausage factory.

I'm glad we have someone from "inside the business" offering perspective here.

I've been working at record stores for most of my adult life, at least part-time. I never have to deal with distributors so I'm clueless on that end, but I will tell you that CDs and DVDs are a bit of a "no brainer" to order depending on the label/distributor. Discounts for ordering a certain amount, returns accepted, etc. Vinyl is ALWAYS a non-returnable product. If something won't sell, you sit on it until it does. (Which might be forever.) We've got a clearance section filled with dirt-cheap 12" singles from the early 2000s just to illustrate how much the vinyl buyer has changed in a decade. (And to illustrate that some things won't move at ANY price.) 

So RSD basically becomes a bit of a huge gamble for these small stores. If they order too much of the wrong thing and get stuck with product that won't sell, that eats into their profit and could severely hamper their future buying power. I'm not saying there's any excuse to violate the pledge, but I could see a store owner being frustrated that all his ATDI and White Stripes get snatched up at MSRP and then resold for 3-4 times their value online.... while he eats a whole bunch of Aerosmith and Flaming Lips box sets.

Especially at a place like Cobraside who essentially were charging the same prices I had out for retail as their wholesale prices. If you ordered from them because you were stuck or didn't know better you'd end up with prices waaaaaay higher than anyone else.

Their wholesale prices for shops were ridiculous. 

Another wholesaler (who shall remain nameless)  charged $15 for the Pink Floyd - See Emily Play 7" but they listed the MSRP as $13.97. 

People need to take these things into consideration when they see the $5 differences in prices between certain shops. RSD is supposed to help independent record stores yet the damn product has almost no markup for the shops. RSD is constantly handled wrong which is funny as there's a whole year to get it right.

On the flipside, there's no excuse for someone charging $80  for a $35-$40 item. Only those stores should be "reported". Not shops that had minor price fluctuations. 

The whole idea/aspect of RSD is a great idea but it would be nice if things were done a lot differently. I could go on and on but I'll go ahead and stop ranting. 

I'll say that from this small shops perspective, despite any issues, we did exceptionally well. Over double what we did last year which was over double what we did the year before which was on and on and on. Not perfect, but it settles a fair amount of debts for me and brings in new customers. Some of whom become good regulars.

Someone in the 'rsd day experience' thread posted that the See Emily Play single was $25 at Academy Records and $15 the second place they went to.

That was me. Second place was Turntable Labs which was great btw.

Also, Village Music World on 197 Bleeker St sold Hybrid Theory for $35. It's not too bad of a markup, but their stuff is usually $5 - 10 more than other stores.

By the way, thischarmingham is on point in this thread. I know how it goes on the "inside" as well and there's so many variables and bullshit from different distributors that it gets old. 

I'm really glad you guys did well over at 1234 Go. I also really appreciate the fair price on the left over Mad Season - Above that I was able to snag online last night.

Their wholesale prices for shops were ridiculous. 

Another wholesaler (who shall remain nameless)  charged $15 for the Pink Floyd - See Emily Play 7" but they listed the MSRP as $13.97. 

People need to take these things into consideration when they see the $5 differences in prices between certain shops. RSD is supposed to help independent record stores yet the damn product has almost no markup for the shops. RSD is constantly handled wrong which is funny as there's a whole year to get it right.

On the flipside, there's no excuse for someone charging $80  for a $35-$40 item. Only those stores should be "reported". Not shops that had minor price fluctuations. 

The whole idea/aspect of RSD is a great idea but it would be nice if things were done a lot differently. I could go on and on but I'll go ahead and stop ranting. 

This. And also like ThisCharmingHam has said with distributors and such markups happen. Also prices in producing vinyl has gone up.

That said some of these markups are brutal.

Are people listing undercharged or overcharged items? because these prices seem fairly tame.

Drove 30 miles to Just Play Music in Santa Barbara, CA hoping to find something decent only to find a POS record store.

Deftones - LIVE 35.99 (almost 300%!)

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory 45.99

The only halfway decent record store in Santa Barbara is Warbler records.  Their selection is ok, but their records are pretty pricey, imo.  

I don't even bother walking into Just Play after checking them when I first moved here.

MSRP is suggested retail. You also have to take into account that larger stores buy in volumes, but they also get stuck with stock that doesnt move. My largest local store must have had at least 15 copies of the Lips set by 3 still left. I am sure they sold a few but still are going to get stuck with them. Not all of these releases sell like hot cakes and alot sit.

They also have staff to pay, overheard of inventory, leases, etc. Just because you are a big store doesnt mean that you charge less

In a way this is a fault on the store. They should have dedicated to do research and actually find out what people are requesting or what's currently a sought album. I know there are a lot of factors, impulse buying, etc. but if the store would have bought fewer copies vice trying to get the biggest profit possible, this can be prevented. Yes, we would all love 1000% profit, but if it's not in the realm of realistic, why shoot for it? 

There's no shortage of good record stores in NYC, but Village World Music is evil incarnate.  They act like a humble hole in the wall record store but charge wayyyy more than retail on everything.

After I got everything I needed after waiting since 8am at Generation Records down the street, I looked into Village World to poke around.  They had almost all the RSD releases still there on a shelf, because they were all marked up at least 20-30%.  Case and point, I had just bought the BTBAM box set for 78.99, seemed to be what all the stores were selling it for.  Village World had a fucking 99.99 sticker on it.  Cave in and Botch were both 39.99, The Cure was up in the 40s. 

So fuck those guys, there should be rules against gouging RSD releases.

once again I can vouch for this guy's comment.   Spent last year's RSD in Louisiana and googled record stores to visit.  Prices were pretty crazy.  

I live in New Orleans and though I've never been over to this shop, so many people from Baton Rogue talk of it's terribleness.

There's no shortage of good record stores in NYC, but Village World Music is evil incarnate.  They act like a humble hole in the wall record store but charge wayyyy more than retail on everything.

After I got everything I needed after waiting since 8am at Generation Records down the street, I looked into Village World to poke around.  They had almost all the RSD releases still there on a shelf, because they were all marked up at least 20-30%.  Case and point, I had just bought the BTBAM box set for 78.99, seemed to be what all the stores were selling it for.  Village World had a fucking 99.99 sticker on it.  Cave in and Botch were both 39.99, The Cure was up in the 40s. 

So fuck those guys, there should be rules against gouging RSD releases.

YES a hundred times YES. I bought Hybrid Theory there cause it was the only place that had it and it was 35. Zaireeka was 100 while the other stores were selling it for 70ish. Village World is a POS store. EVERYTHING there is upmarked at least 5 - 10 dollars more than other stores. I hope the store goes out of business.