Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

Yeah, I don't know why I never thought to realize that.  The fact that they literally have a tiny oscillating fan secured to the cab should have tipped me off.  That and constantly open doors. 

The 'mail trucks' where I live are re-purposed jeeps and sedans, so I guess they have air conditioning, but I still feel better about just re-upping my PO Box rental.  Not that the transportation from PO to PO is any better. . .

This seems like as good a spot as any to post this:  Side One Dummy just tweeted this

3c1adb76e0fb11e2819022000a1f99d8_7.jpg

Too hot outside for ya? Be thankful you're not delivering mail inside a 140 degree mail truck. A family member who is a mailman in #LasVegas just sent me this. Treat your courier to a #slurpee today. #HotDamn

Today I learned mail trucks are not air conditioned and that it's a small miracle more records aren't fucked up in the extreme months.

Yes, and a buyer you must assume that whoever is shipping the record has no idea that it will melt if not packed tight enough.

When I buy records in the summer, I ask the seller to fill the mailer up with cardboard so the record has no space to change shape due to heat. I've even supplied a seller with a mailer recently just to protect a purchase. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've had 2 records delivered with holes going through the entire mailer and record itself. You've probably poked fun of that in the past.

I imagine that sometimes packages get run over by forklifts. It's shitty that they still deliver them like nothing happened.

Also:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57595318/door-to-door-mail-delivery-on-chopping-block/

I've had 2 records delivered with holes going through the entire mailer and record itself. You've probably poked fun of that in the past.

I imagine that sometimes packages get run over by forklifts. It's shitty that they still deliver them like nothing happened.

Also:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57595318/door-to-door-mail-delivery-on-chopping-block/

I don't think I've made fun of stuff like that. It sucks when your shit gets wrecked during shipment. It's like you said, I'm shocked that they fucking ruin your package then deliver it fucked up, like nothing happened. There should be some accountability along the line. It's truly ridiculous.

^^ Now you've done it.

I guess I'll add to the fun here. My mailman always parks directly across the street from my house to deliver to the 10-20 houses nearby. My sister was visiting the other day and parked in front of my house, directly across from where the mailman usually parks. So he arrives at his usual time, parks in the usual spot, etc. After the mail is delivered he gets back in the truck and pulls out really quickly at a sharp angle and dings the back of my sisters car. At this point, she hears the loud smack and goes to the door to see what the noise was. She notices he is peaking out of his window to look for any damage and then floors it to the top of my hill. Sure enough, he left paint on the back panel of the passenger side of her car. She called and reported it to the USPS office not for the damage but for the lack of responsibility he took for his mistake. I'm just going to assume now that my packages will be left in the rain/in a dumpster and I'll end up referring to my mailman as Newman in the future. 

My mailman is this super awkward guy who always proclaims his love for vinyl records when he drops them off.

He's also really chubby even though he runs his entire route and is always sweating profusely when I see him. I don't understand.

Haha, now you know who to go after when something goes missing.