Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

6 minutes ago, Rip said:

Anyone else have any packages stuck in Pittsburgh, PA?  Right now I have 2 and they haven’t been updated as being anywhere else since like... the 27th of March.

My one friend has one stuck there as well.  Wonder what the problem is.

There was a mercury spill there less than a week ago, but they said it wouldn’t impact mail.  I just googled it since I sold a 7” that had an exception there yesterday morning.

1 hour ago, curator said:

There was a mercury spill there less than a week ago, but they said it wouldn’t impact mail.  I just googled it since I sold a 7” that had an exception there yesterday morning.

Hmmm, well hopefully there’s some movement soon.  I was just glad to hear that I wasn’t the only one when my buddy told me his was stuck there too.

13 hours ago, lostcrimes said:

I live in Phoenix and had something coming in from Los Angeles.  For some reason they thought the best route to go would be to take it to Oklahoma first.

Okay then.

I live in Chicago and have occasionally ordered stuff from Chicago that's gone to Pennsylvania and then come back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My mail carrier did something that they try to pull every once in a while yesterday (at least I think so): marked a package as "delivered" but didn't actually deliver it. Whereas I usually receive mail around 2:00PM or so most days, I had a USPS package marked delivered and "In/At Mailbox" at 4:30PM. When I got home, nothing was there. I fully expect it to show up today, but it's still annoying.

58 minutes ago, simple_torture said:

My mail carrier did something that they try to pull every once in a while yesterday (at least I think so): marked a package as "delivered" but didn't actually deliver it. Whereas I usually receive mail around 2:00PM or so most days, I had a USPS package marked delivered and "In/At Mailbox" at 4:30PM. When I got home, nothing was there. I fully expect it to show up today, but it's still annoying.

I learned something a few months ago I didn't know.  When the USPS guy scans an item in as delivered, his device has a GPS setting that records the exact location that the scan took place.   They can call it up on the computer at the local post office if it comes to that.  It helped me out of an odd problem. 

2 minutes ago, jackshidt said:

I learned something a few months ago I didn't know.  When the USPS guy scans an item in as delivered, his device has a GPS setting that records the exact location that the scan took place.   They can call it up on the computer at the local post office if it comes to that.  It helped me out of an odd problem. 

If it arrives today, no harm/no foul. But this is good to know if it doesn't show up; thanks!

When I used to live in the city, this would happen far more often--the town where I live now, all deliveries are done via trucks (mailboxes are on same side of every street, right off the road), whereas in the city carriers had to hoof it. Also got plenty of "your package is available at the post office" when I was an urbanite.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 10:20 AM, simple_torture said:

They did this shit again to me. Motherfuckers! I don't care if it's gonna be a day later than expected, just don't mark it delivered "in/at mailbox" because we don't have a fucking mailbox/mail slot at work! Jerkfaces!

I picked up the latest Earth record at the Post Office from my PO Box.  I opened the LP Mailer and found an envelope inside.  Not really look at any of the details, I though, "Ooh, what's this?  A bonus?"  It was someone's passport.  It somehow slid into the mailer at the Post Office.  The record had been sitting at my PO Box for over a week, so I hope that person didn't need their passport ASAP.

• 2 months later...

So, this isn't necessarily ABOUT USPS, but I have a media mail package coming in today (originated in LA). I have 0 fucking clue what it is. It's been bugging me for 5 days. I can't recall any preorders that would be shipping (particularly from LA).  4 days cross country via Media is pretty good though. 

22 hours ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

So, this isn't necessarily ABOUT USPS, but I have a media mail package coming in today (originated in LA). I have 0 fucking clue what it is. It's been bugging me for 5 days. I can't recall any preorders that would be shipping (particularly from LA).  4 days cross country via Media is pretty good though. 

well, what the hell was it?

WHAT. THE. DICK.

This fucking thing hasn't even left California yet. (I live in NY)

August 12, 2019
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

August 10, 2019, 6:43 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

August 7, 2019, 5:03 pm
Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility
SAN FRANCISCO CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

August 7, 2019, 5:00 pm

August 5, 2019, 10:16 am

July 31, 2019, 12:33 am

July 30, 2019, 2:56 pm

July 29, 2019, 4:19 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility

July 29, 2019, 2:14 am

July 26, 2019, 4:58 pm

July 26, 2019, 3:06 pm

July 24, 2019, 4:30 pm

July 23, 2019, 2:57 pm
USPS in possession of item
SACRAMENTO, CA 95827 

July 22, 2019, 2:53 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
SACRAMENTO, CA 95826 

4 hours ago, Oblivions said:

Sounds like there may be some damage to the label. If you are the buyer, I'd reach out to the sender and ask them to open a claim/inquiry and see if they can intercept the package and have a human being try and make out the address and get this back on a deliverable track.

It was a cheap Reddit purchase. Contacted the seller, they called USPS, after an hour of being on hold USPS told them the package is going to be tracked down and the delivery attempts will be “investigated.”

Fingers crossed, but I won’t be out much if they can’t track it down.

1 hour ago, ThunderPantz said:

Dead mail? Thats a new one.

Dead mail generally means that there are no addresses on the package that are valid, usually due to a damaged label for a parcel.  It goes to the Dead Letter Office and they try to figure out if there is a way to deliver it properly. 

I wonder if the label was terribly mutilated with the address and the return address completely destroyed.  Only way I could see that being semi-logical...