Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

14 minutes ago, ZeroNowhere said:

People complaining about mail delivery during a pandemic can kiss my ass and anyone’s ass out there delivering mail.  It’s so insulting.  Stop being a self entitled twit and realize right now things take longer and may get lost in the insane shuffle of facilities closing.  Get a life.

Totally get it. Things have been travelling all over the country. It's kind of uncanny to watch. I don't mind though. Everything comes through just fine so far. My local PO and my delivery guy both rule, so I have no real complaints. I wouldn't even care if they went on strike, it'd suck to not get orders in, but people over stuff any day.

Three weeks ago, I shipped a record from Brooklyn to Brooklyn. It went to Pittsburgh first and now it's been stuck in Jersey City for the last week and a half.

I'm still waiting to a record from Australia (six weeks now) and one from England (four weeks).

Edited by streetwaves

The Jersey City sorting facility seems to have become a black hole. No reports of it being closed but with Covid hitting the state so badly I can only imagine they are severely short handed. If you want a job in a shipping company's sorting facility in NJ - there are a lot of job openings starting at $17/hour. Tells you what's happening. 

A good friend of mine is a Senior Supervisor at a national shipping company's NJ facility. When the outbreak happened they gave no PPE and he was told it was mandatory to come in to work. He got Covid. On his third day in the hospital. 12 hours after coming off the respirator, he was told he had to give up his bed since he was well enough and someone worse off needed it.  They wheeled him into the lobby with no ride home. As he called everyone he knew to get him home, I told him I couldn't do it. Yes, I felt like shit but with a wife, kid, and duty to my community as a volunteer firefighter - I couldn't risk it. I could get his groceries etc but that ride home while still sick was a family matter.  He did alright but it was three hours in the lobby waiting. So, you think those folks making 25% of what does feel good knowing the experience of their supervisor? Probably not. Those jobs aren't filling up on a steady basis too soon. My pal is alright now. Those first few days after the hospital were nasty for him. He's going back to work soon. 

Be well. Stay safe. Stay patient. Be understanding. Stuff in that Jersey City location are likely going to be insurance claims according to one big music distribution company I was in touch with. We'll survive not having a particular record but in the end refunds or replacements will be made when it's all said and done. 

Edited by jerseydave77

I'd caution everyone in the US to avoid buying international for a little while—still waiting on a few things shipped in early March from Europe (no tracking), and an EMS package that hasn't moved from Japan in weeks . Hoping it all gets here eventually.

Definitely sympathetic to all the postal workers, system must be so backed up right now. I just wish Discogs would stop taunting me with emails to review sellers who's stuff I haven't gotten yet!

20 hours ago, streetwaves said:

Three weeks ago, I shipped a record from Brooklyn to Brooklyn. It went to Pittsburgh first and now it's been stuck in Jersey City for the last week and a half.

I'm still waiting to a record from Australia (six weeks now) and one from England (four weeks).

I ordered a record from England a couple weeks ago. No joke, it arrived in four days.

10 minutes ago, al-naafiysh said:

I'd caution everyone in the US to avoid buying international for a little while—still waiting on a few things shipped in early March from Europe (no tracking), and an EMS package that hasn't moved from Japan in weeks . Hoping it all gets here eventually.

Definitely sympathetic to all the postal workers, system must be so backed up right now. I just wish Discogs would stop taunting me with emails to review sellers who's stuff I haven't gotten yet!

Yea, Japan you won't get anything for sure. Their system won't ship to the US right now. Same for Germany. USPS has a list of countries they won't ship TO, and there is a list with links to international carriers so you can check disruptions going the other direction in to the US. 

5 minutes ago, thenameisluigi said:

I ordered a record from England a couple weeks ago. No joke, it arrived in four days.

Yea, Japan you won't get anything for sure. Their system won't ship to the US right now. Same for Germany. USPS has a list of countries they won't ship TO, and there is a list with links to international carriers so you can check disruptions going the other direction in to the US. 

Huh, looks like the US status was changed on April 24, after the package was accepted. As of April 10 they were still delivering to the US.

"Items which have already been accepted will be dispatched by remaining flights in order. Considering our present transportation performance, for example, it is estimated that up to four months or so will be needed for dispatching EMS. If you want items to be returned, please contact the post office where you mailed them." Up to four months, ouch.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0423_03_en.html

Here is the current list of suspended countries if anyone needs. https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0423_01_01_en.pdf

43 minutes ago, al-naafiysh said:

Huh, looks like the US status was changed on April 24, after the package was accepted. As of April 10 they were still delivering to the US.

"Items which have already been accepted will be dispatched by remaining flights in order. Considering our present transportation performance, for example, it is estimated that up to four months or so will be needed for dispatching EMS. If you want items to be returned, please contact the post office where you mailed them." Up to four months, ouch.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0423_03_en.html

Here is the current list of suspended countries if anyone needs. https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0423_01_01_en.pdf

Thanks for posting the list, I was too lazy to look for it again. That's crazy. I'd tried ordering a some international things a few weeks ago and the sellers were on it thankfully and already knew they wouldn't be able to ship. The UK package I received was definitely the fastest I'd ever received anything international.

Edited by thenameisluigi

I ordered a record from Tower through ZenMarket last week. Got it 2 days after they shipped it out via DHL. You can definitely still get stuff from Japan, you just have to pay more. It took me three weeks to get something via Media Mail and the tracking never updated past "Shipping label created".

I'm not worried about delays in the post though as much as fucking FedEx just throwing shit at my door lately.

22 hours ago, streetwaves said:

Pittsburgh must be the spot. I ordered a record three weeks ago and it went from Colorado Springs to Pittsburgh and has been there ever since.  I'm in MI

I'm not complaining or anything.  I've just been assuming shit will probably take a month to arrive

38 minutes ago, erikness said:

I ordered a record from Tower through ZenMarket last week. Got it 2 days after they shipped it out via DHL. You can definitely still get stuff from Japan, you just have to pay more. It took me three weeks to get something via Media Mail and the tracking never updated past "Shipping label created".

I'm not worried about delays in the post though as much as fucking FedEx just throwing shit at my door lately.

Guess it was my bad luck I guess. Tried to order a Japanese record and they cancelled saying they couldn't post it to the states as of that day.

Edited by thenameisluigi

2 hours ago, floyd_z said:

Pittsburgh must be the spot. I ordered a record three weeks ago and it went from Colorado Springs to Pittsburgh and has been there ever since.  I'm in MI

I'm not complaining or anything.  I've just been assuming shit will probably take a month to arrive

I live in Pittsburgh. My local post office employee told me we took on 5 other distribution centers that either got reduced or completely shut down . I had a record being sent to me that went from dallas to pittsburgh, then to boston and south carolina to come back to me. Took a few extra days but got here. They are just overwhelmed and stuff is probably going on wrong trucks or sitting for a few days since they are doing 6 times their usual work. 

I know NJ is a vacuous hole and all, but not today:

TODAY

Expected Delivery

by 8:00 PM

MILFORD,CT 06460

May 04

9:04 am

Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery by 6:15pm

MILFORD,CT 06460

May 04

8:53 am

Arrived at Post Office

MILFORD,CT 06460

May 03

In Transit to Next Facility

May 01

6:44 pm

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 01

5:29 pm

Accepted at USPS Origin Facility

NEW YORK,NY 10003

On 5/3/2020 at 2:48 PM, al-naafiysh said:

I have a couple of records that were shipped to me on April 6th from Tokyo and are still sitting in limbo. Once they finally arrive it’ll feel like Christmas

Just to chime in,

I had some records both in transit TO me, and a few sent out to discoggs purchasers get held up.
One of my packages sat at a distribution center for close to three weeks before suddenly switching to 'out for delivery' and arriving the next day.

I think its just crazy times, staffing is low, and deliveries are higher than ever.
But, despite delays, both packages did eventually reach their destinations, so hang tight!

Looks like Jersey City is making some progress:

• Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility May 05, 2020, 09:26 AM, JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
  • In Transit to Next Facility April 21, 2020, 12:00 AM
  • Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility April 17, 2020, 03:28 PM, JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

On 5/2/2020 at 5:23 PM, streetwaves said:

australia = dead zone for internat'l packages. understand its cuz their long-distance mail moves w/in the country via extra space on commercial flights - which are all grounded. 

sucks cuz i have a couple discogs orders stuck in dang ol tasmania. no idea when/if they'll get to the you ess.

but yeah, kind of trivial relative to scale of pandemic.  why post to internet when you could sit alone in your room feeling bad about about 1st responders?