Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

9 hours ago, mysundown1305 said:

Question for you. I have a record coming from Australia and the last tracking update in the Australian Post website was "Cleared and awaiting international departure" on May 17th. Did your tracking ever update to anything like departed or did you have something similar? I'm assuming mine is on its way even though it doesn't show it

I did not have tracking but I would assume that your package has left Australia. Just a guess so don’t hold me to it! But they sound pretty backed up regardless. 

7 hours ago, xfactor675 said:

Im waiting on 4 packages from the US since march 18th... . Everything else came in normal even ebay shit from China. 

The USPS relies heavily on commercial airlines for their international shipping, as they don't have their own planes for such a thing. As a result, depending where your package started here in the states, it could be knocking around the country before it gets to say one of the major airports that would have flights going to Hungary during the current situation. So it might could be several delayed scenarios adding up to the extended delay you are experiencing. Just a guess.

11 minutes ago, danyc said:

The USPS relies heavily on commercial airlines for their international shipping, as they don't have their own planes for such a thing. As a result, depending where your package started here in the states, it could be knocking around the country before it gets to say one of the major airports that would have flights going to Hungary during the current situation. So it might could be several delayed scenarios adding up to the extended delay you are experiencing. Just a guess.

Thanks for this! I was thinking the same, also heard 8-12 weeks in delay, so im totally fine with this as long as these will arrive. So I wasn't mad or anything, just stated the facts. Sorry for my tone in the original comment! 

One thing I learned during this was to get in contact with the USPS to have them put a 'tracer' on something that has gone MIA. When doing so, you can get contacted via email or elect to get a call from a human, which might be the manager at your local PO. They call you pretty quickly believe it or not. Currently you can't just call the general USPS # and speak to a human, as you could pre-pandemic. Overload and short staffed I'd imagine. I've had several items go MIA in the Jersey City Distro center. When I've spoke to a manager about this at my local PO, they all say it's a "transportation issue". The items I'm waiting for, like all of us here, aren't life and death, but it's awfully puzzling as to just how many packages are backed up and waiting Jersey City?

A few weeks ago when I was looking into this, I did a google search and found this long thread written by Amazon sellers. Those people are in a pickle! I feel for them, since many of them are having to refund their sales, due to the mail slowdown and it has nothing to do with them, but I could see amazon buyers not caring or understanding the nature of the situation, simply since they bought it from amazon and they think it should show up yesterday.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/t/hundreds-of-usps-packages-delayed-in-jersey-city-for-20-days-starting-april-4th/617922/22

8 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

Thanks for this! I was thinking the same, also heard 8-12 weeks in delay, so im totally fine with this as long as these will arrive. So I wasn't mad or anything, just stated the facts. Sorry for my tone in the original comment! 

Oh not at all. I was only trying to help, if by chance you didn't understand the severity of it here. Of course we all have bigger fish to fry during a scenario such as this, but damn, we need new music too! One can only listen to the same 500 records for so long. ;)

For those with a package in the purgatory that is Jersey City - don't lose hope! I had a couple records shipped to me from Brooklyn in mid-April, which ended up in Jersey City on April 25th with no further updates. 7+ weeks after the ship date, all of the tracking history disappeared BUT the package turned up at my local PO and was delivered the next day. 

JC is one of my local hubs so who knows what happened during that month where it was completely MIA, but if you have something stuck there, don't give up just yet.

I'm also waiting on an Australian shipment. Ordered an item on April 18th, seller shipped it out a few days later, but never sent me the tracking info until I asked for it several weeks later. He sent me two tracking numbers because he didn't know which was mine. One tracking number has been stuck since May 22nd, with "Processed Through Facility ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)" and the other tracking number was last updated June 7th with "Processed Through Regional Facility CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER". I sure as fuck hope my package is the latter.

Side note: I ordered a box set from Japan last week and it arrives today (to NY). DHL is fucking amazing.

7 minutes ago, angryalan said:

Side note: I ordered a box set from Japan last week and it arrives today (to NY). DHL is fucking amazing.

I just ordered something from Japan through DHL so I’m hoping for similar luck. 

In regards to Australia at least you have the tracking and know they’re in the country.

1 hour ago, awalkingwounded said:

So how long have your records been delayed in Chicago now?

My current one sat in Jersey for a week (surprised it wasn’t longer) and just popped up in Chicago today. I live close to Detroit so I’m a little surprised it didn’t go to Pittsburgh like mine normally do from the east coast.

Here's the shitshow I've been watching.  I'm in Grand Rapids.  I got a notification around the 24th/25 of May that it was in GR and set to be delivered.  Then nothing until June 4 when it arrived in Chicago(?)  Who knows where it is now.  My mom (also in GR) had a package go to GR --> Lansing  ---> Zeeland ----> Traverse City(?)  -->  GR.

June 8, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

June 4, 2020, 10:13 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
CHICAGO IL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

May 23, 2020, 2:16 am
DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

May 22, 2020, 4:32 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
PITTSBURGH PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

May 22, 2020, 5:56 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

May 22, 2020, 4:41 am
Accepted at USPS Regional Origin Facility
LOUISVILLE KY DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

May 20, 2020
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

I’ve probably shipped out 20 or so media mail packages in the last two months. Pretty much every single one took at least a week to get from the initial scan (pickup from my building’s mailroom) to the Chicago sorting facility. I’d say media mail is taking 3-4 weeks since March. Some weird scans too. But everything has arrived. Some post offices are running with skeleton crews still. And media mail is definitely lowest priority. We’ve just gotta be patient. 

18 hours ago, floyd_z said:

Here's the shitshow I've been watching.  I'm in Grand Rapids.  I got a notification around the 24th/25 of May that it was in GR and set to be delivered.  Then nothing until June 4 when it arrived in Chicago(?)  Who knows where it is now.  My mom (also in GR) had a package go to GR --> Lansing  ---> Zeeland ----> Traverse City(?)  -->  GR.

June 8, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

June 4, 2020, 10:13 pm
CHICAGO IL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

May 23, 2020, 2:16 am
DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

May 22, 2020, 4:32 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility

May 22, 2020, 5:56 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

May 22, 2020, 4:41 am
Accepted at USPS Regional Origin Facility
LOUISVILLE KY DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

May 20, 2020
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

Wow that got put in a wrong bin I’m assuming. Did you try to have a trace put on it?

7 hours ago, dreamover said:

I’ve probably shipped out 20 or so media mail packages in the last two months. Pretty much every single one took at least a week to get from the initial scan (pickup from my building’s mailroom) to the Chicago sorting facility. I’d say media mail is taking 3-4 weeks since March. Some weird scans too. But everything has arrived. Some post offices are running with skeleton crews still. And media mail is definitely lowest priority. We’ve just gotta be patient. 

I definitely understand being patient with media mail and the entire USPS being understaffed and overwhelmed.  The one I’m currently waiting on is Priority Mail so it should theoretically arrive much quicker than media but who knows at this point. As long as it arrives safely, that’s all that matters in the grand scheme.

I've had priority taking 2-3 times longer than it should as well. 

And I've had quite a few packages get routed in the wrong direction. I had a package go from Virginia to Michigan to Washington State in two weeks. Then no scans for a week, then slowly made its way to Chicago as if it had shipped from Seattle. 

20 hours ago, awalkingwounded said:

So how long have your records been delayed in Chicago now?

My current one sat in Jersey for a week (surprised it wasn’t longer) and just popped up in Chicago today. I live close to Detroit so I’m a little surprised it didn’t go to Pittsburgh like mine normally do from the east coast.

I live in the Detroit metro and my packages usually get to Detroit, then Pontiac, then to my post office. I was able to snag a record I had been looking for for years about a month ago, shipping from LA. It arrived I. Detroit 2 weeks ago, then all of the sudden yesterday it's in Missouri. Wtf. All of the extra moving around makes me nervous for potential damage on an almost impossible to find record.

Just now, mysundown1305 said:

I live in the Detroit metro and my packages usually get to Detroit, then Pontiac, then to my post office. I was able to snag a record I had been looking for for years about a month ago, shipping from LA. It arrived I. Detroit 2 weeks ago, then all of the sudden yesterday it's in Missouri. Wtf. All of the extra moving around makes me nervous for potential damage on an almost impossible to find record.

yeah. it sucks. Mail volume is actually increasing but funding and staffing is decreasing. I imagine, in most post offices and sorting facilities, express gets sorted before priority, priority before first class, media mail absolute last. So that's why Media Mail is sitting without scans for days at a time. 

On top of that, volume is so high and staff is so low, that mistakes are more frequent. All it takes is a package going into the wrong bin. 

I highly recommend, if you're buying something that is high value or really important to you, try to upgrade to Priority. Especially because it includes $50 of insurance.

It's also super annoying from a seller standpoint, because although I let all of my buyers know that Media Mail is significantly delayed, I've had a few buyers freak out when their package is scanned twice and then no scans for two weeks. As if I drove to Michigan, retrieved the package and kept it or something. After selling on discogs for the better part of a decade, I've received less than positive feedback for the first time, twice, in the last two months. Both buyers received their records without damage within a month with $4 media mail shipping, but they left negative feedback because it "never took that long before". 

2 hours ago, dreamover said:

It's also super annoying from a seller standpoint, because although I let all of my buyers know that Media Mail is significantly delayed, I've had a few buyers freak out when their package is scanned twice and then no scans for two weeks. As if I drove to Michigan, retrieved the package and kept it or something. After selling on discogs for the better part of a decade, I've received less than positive feedback for the first time, twice, in the last two months. Both buyers received their records without damage within a month with $4 media mail shipping, but they left negative feedback because it "never took that long before". 

That's shitty. I've been messaging buyers saying the same, hey media mail is super delayed, please don't be surprised it takes a while. Had one that took over a month to arrive with no scans, but thankfully they were cool about it and understanding.

Edited by thenameisluigi