Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

Pre-pandemic, the company I was working with was using FedEx anytime we didn't have people traveling for shows from the main office, and we would ship in hard shell suitcases and pelican cases. They would show up absolutely trashed when it got back to the office. IF it made it back to the office. They'd lost so many shipments of ours. One time, it was easier for us to have one of our people drive to a warehouse in New Hampshire from NYC to pick up the case after a show. 

On 10/16/2020 at 11:30 AM, dreamover said:

USPS seems to be running much smoother lately. I got a package from denmark in 8 days and everything else seems to be arriving at regular speeds. but i've heard several gripes with fedex lately. 

Yeah I got a package from the UK in like 7-8 days myself a few weeks ago. 

I would like to sing the praises of DHL though - I ordered a CD from Japan on Tuesday, and it was here Thursday.  I'm in New York.  That blew my fucking mind.  It was supposed to be here Tuesday, which is also ridiculous.  Shit was 5 days early!

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, N8TRU said:

Here's a new one. I had a record go out for delivery yesterday and none of our mail come. 6:45PM they marked it "available for pickup" and didn't send it out again this morning. So I guess I have to go get it? Has this happened to anyone else?

I’ve had this a few times and it’s always delivered the next day. Just happened again this week due to the tropical storm. 

22 minutes ago, derby625 said:

I’ve had this a few times and it’s always delivered the next day. Just happened again this week due to the tropical storm. 

Thanks! This was a first for me. Everything's normal in Delaware but an employee told me they're busier than they've ever been. I can only imagine how they'll handle this holiday season.

I had a USPS episode recently:

sent a record via media mail to someone in NYC. They were home all day everyday working from home. All her mail would come, except the record. Her tracking eventually showed “attempted delivery, no one home” or something like that. Said that everyday for like 5 days lol. After a week or so later, it was returned to me. It had been opened up and re-taped horribly with “not medial mail” written on the box, with a $45 return charge to be picked up at my local post office. 
In the end, I got it back for free, but it was a shit show these past 2-3 weeks. 

7 hours ago, N8TRU said:

Here's a new one. I had a record go out for delivery yesterday and none of our mail come. 6:45PM they marked it "available for pickup" and didn't send it out again this morning. So I guess I have to go get it? Has this happened to anyone else?

I've had this happen a few times over the years, and each time USPS told me, that a person unfamiliar with the route didn't know what to do with packages to my apartment building.  In all instances I received my packages a few days later.

• 1 month later...

one of my packages just turned red and now says (in red) 

"Alert! Processing exception"

"The Postal Service has identified a problem with the processing of this item at 858pm on 12/26 in Jersey City Network Distribution Center. The local facility has been alerted and is taking steps to correct the problem.'

ive never seen this before and cant get a person on the phone for any information. 

the update prior, from 10 minutes before that, said it departed the Jersey City Distro center.

anyone ever experience this before?

1 hour ago, ozfacter said:

one of my packages just turned red and now says (in red) 

"Alert! Processing exception"

"The Postal Service has identified a problem with the processing of this item at 858pm on 12/26 in Jersey City Network Distribution Center. The local facility has been alerted and is taking steps to correct the problem.'

ive never seen this before and cant get a person on the phone for any information. 

the update prior, from 10 minutes before that, said it departed the Jersey City Distro center.

anyone ever experience this before?

I’d never seen this before this month, but I’ve noticed it a few times all of a sudden.

From what I could gather, it means the parcel needed to be pulled from the regular delivery process and processed by hand by an employee for whatever reason - there are many things that could cause this.

I don’t think it means there’s a serious problem or it won’t be delivered, even though the wording is a little alarming. 

4 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

I’d never seen this before this month, but I’ve noticed it a few times all of a sudden.

From what I could gather, it means the parcel needed to be pulled from the regular delivery process and processed by hand by an employee for whatever reason - there are many things that could cause this.

I don’t think it means there’s a serious problem or it won’t be delivered, even though the wording is a little alarming. 

thanks, makes me feel better about it. ill still try to get in contact with someone over there but at least i wont be as worried. 

I got that alert once before, but then it was sorted out somehow (although it was delivery related.) It was a package i sent to someone last month.  Give it 24-48 hours before you really panic. 

Also records coming in and out of NYC via Jersey City is a lottery system. Some packages I shipped got to other people within 7 days. Some took 8 days to scan to the sort facility. Some have not scanned after almost two weeks.

As for stuff coming to me. USPS has decided to give me max 1 package a day when I have almost 10 packages coming to me through Jersey City. We'll see what shows up tomorrow. LOL.

Edited by GradedOnACurve

How about this you stupid fucking man children(what the fuck are your wives doing when you’re complaining about these simple things?!? If you’re not married, keep that laptop camera covered) You order records, and have this insane tension about how they’re not getting to you as fast as “they should!” but your records are going to get to you! That’s it, full on, bottom line. If you’ve been doing this for for a decade or longer, you know what this is. But no, this forum is filled with a bunch of dudes who don’t know what the fuck is happening at all.

I come on here everyday and I just see the worse people complaining about what it is that makes things happen. People making things happen for YOU and you don’t fucking realize, or fucking appreciate it! You stupid, privilege pricks.

Anyone wanna talk shit about any USPS carrier...FUCK YOU!!!!! Bring it on!

Edited by MyEnemy

While we’re ranting...so many people using these unprecedented USPS delays as an excuse to get out of their impulse December purchases. Luckily, I’ve only had 1 person drop the “THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A XMAS GIFT YOU RUINED THE MEMORIES I CAN NEVER WANT THIS NOW” line on me but,  reading on some Etsy/eBay forums, it’s wild out there. Small full time shops are getting slammed with a ton of  1 star reviews and refund requests, even though it’s a pandemic and the packages are still arriving, just 1-3 weeks late. I get that the pandemic and life makes us do some weird stuff but pls chill for the next few weeks while your records and gifts make their way to you. Be well, all!

2 hours ago, ozfacter said:

so, ok then. not sure if serious or not but ill play anyway since im bored..

how is asking a question about something ive never experienced before considered "freaking out"?

i have been "doing this" for over a decade but i fail to see how thats relevant at all. also, i guess i have to cover my laptop camera(?) since im not married but i dont complain to her about where my records are. i do like to check informed delivery to get an idea of when our packages will arrive. i also know that everything is backed up and that doesnt bother me because i know everything will eventually show up. 

BUT, when one of the packages that has been sitting in the same spot for three weeks suddenly updates with a red alert im going to be curious and try to see if i can find out why and if its a problem that would result in not getting the package.

i guess fuck me tho for asking if anyone else experienced that but if that makes me privileged in your eyes so be it. i shouldve known that asking a question in a thread about the thread would be a problem. ive been here way too long to make that mistake. 

Did I quote you?? I wasn’t referring to you. But the fact that you responded to this and felt like you were personally attacked is exactly why this place is a fucking cess pool of shitty man children who live in a fucking Amazon world where you think things are and should be catered to you in a “certain amount of time”.  Are you fucking kidding me?!??!? 

When I started doing this, I sent actual money, goddam fucking change, sometimes, to Recess Records/Asian Man/etc and  I waited. Sometimes it took many many weeks. I live in San Diego, most of the companies I was buying from were in state and would still take 3 weeks to get you in 1997!

I’m not sure what everyone’s fucking malfunction is when it comes to something taking a little bit longer to get to you. Are you really that fucking dense or what??

Edited by MyEnemy

Uh-oh, we've reached the BACK IN MY DAY point of the thread. (oldmanyellsatcloud.gif)

This thread is older and dates back before the pandemic. Some noobs are having a real hard time waiting for the mail. Others (like me) are speaking more objectively. And a lot of us were here in April/May when records were taking up to 2 months to ship. I mean just quote some people if it bothers you. Most have been relatively understanding of the situation. A lot of the posts here actually have relevant information, although no doubt some people have been over the top complaining and yeah its LOLworthy.

I will say I mailordered CDs back in the day as well and you'd send the money and you were lucky if the item didn't show up via passenger pigeon (/sarcasm) but let's be real its not 1997 anymore and people don't go to the Post Office anymore to get money orders to then send to Dischord, Lookout, and No Idea. Clearly the PO is underfunded and much of the frustration has to do with that (which is a real issue btw) than people we think are slacking during a pandemic. Please read objectively.

Someone somewhere is still jamming to lost CDs that never showed up to me back in 2002.

8 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

Did I quote you?? I wasn’t referring to you. But the fact that you responded to this and felt like you were personally attacked is exactly why this place is a fucking cess pool of shitty man children who live in a fucking Amazon world where you think things are and should be catered to you in a “certain amount of time”.  Are you fucking kidding me?!??!? 

When I started doing this, I sent actual money, goddam fucking change, sometimes, to Recess Records/Asian Man/etc and  I waited. Sometimes it took many many weeks. I live in San Diego, most of the companies I was buying from were in state and would still take 3 weeks to get you in 1997!

I’m not sure what everyone’s fucking malfunction is when it comes to something taking a little bit longer to get to you. Are you really that fucking dense or what??

thread had no activity for over a month. question gets asked. gets some answers. except for you. who came in the thread about issues with the post office to complain about people complaining about the post office. your post was pointless but im sorry that i looked at it like i was to be included in your response. didnt realize that quoting was the only way to talk about someone.  

i removed the post you quoted before you posted your response to avoid this pointless exchange. ive got no issues with you.

anyway, hope you had a good holiday have a good new year. 

9 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

The amount of anger and aggression here is pretty over the top.  I know the holidays can be stressful but geez.

Not angry, but once again baffled at the antics of the USPS. 

Was driving to Maine on 12/19 from NYC and deliberately dropped a record in the mail in Worcester, MA in hopes of it getting to a friend within a reasonable time, who only lives 20 miles north. Did this also to hopefully avoid the NY/NJ USPS black hole. It was prepaid but then sat for at least a week unscanned and no tracking updates. Next time it was updated was back here in my zip code on the 28th and then went to Jersey City... aka package purgatory! I mean was the PO totally thrown by the fact that I sped up the process for them, so they had to bring it back here and start the process all over? 

Haha - I just got a FIRST CLASS package that shipped 11/27. 1 Month and 2 days from Chicago to PA? But yet I got a Media Mail package from San Francisco in a week. Sounds like they are just throwing whatever packages out no matter what you pay for postage. Making no sense whatsoever.