Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

I just received a package from Japan.  It was 10 really good records totaling just under $900.  They must have gone through some extreme heat, likely on the west coast.  They’re all severely heat damaged.  It’s one of the saddest collecting days ever.  

I don’t believe they were insured, though I’m hopefully wrong.  The loss of money sucks,  but seeing these once amazing records ruined is nauseating.  

Hopefully others don’t experience this.  It’s a first for me in years and years of mail order.  The package was delivered by UPS.

Edited by ZeroNowhere

1 hour ago, ZeroNowhere said:

I just received a package from Japan.  It was 10 really good records totaling just under $900.  They must have gone through some extreme heat, likely on the west coast.  They’re all severely heat damaged.  It’s one of the saddest collecting days ever.  

I don’t believe they were insured, though I’m hopefully wrong.  The loss of money sucks,  but seeing these once amazing records ruined is nauseating.  

Hopefully others don’t experience this.  It’s a first for me in years and years of mail order.  The package was delivered by UPS.

Oh Christ, that is heartbreaking! Where do you even begin to get some of that money back? Hopefully the seller doesn't give you a hard time about this. Good luck, seriously! 

9 minutes ago, danyc said:

Oh Christ, that is heartbreaking! Where do you even begin to get some of that money back? Hopefully the seller doesn't give you a hard time about this. Good luck, seriously! 

It’s from a store owner who I met 6 years ago when I was in Japan on vacation.   I buy stuff from him fairly often.  Insurance has never crossed my mind because shipping is usually 4 days from the time he ships to the east coast.  I’ll eat it if it’s not insured.  Lesson learned and move on.  I wouldn’t file a damaged PayPal claim and have him lose that much money and ruin the relationship.

On 6/7/2021 at 5:57 PM, aopps42 said:

Nearly every record I’ve received of late has had a ton of damage to the mailer and a good amount of the jackets have had splits or creases. Partly at fault is bands/labels/shops skimping out with inconceivably poor packing, but it seems like there is even less care than before with parcels. Maybe I’ve just been on an unlucky streak. 

Same here. In the last week, I've had 2 records arrived bent, yet the mailers they were sent in were of decent quality. One was shipped in a Whiplash mailer, and the other in a Mighty Music Mailer. Both records had bent jackets along the spine. One of them was bent in the middle and the record was broken, the other one was bent closer to the bottom but the record was badly warped. Had to return both. It seems the postal service is treating packages even more poorly than ever.

Preemptive complaint for something I know was shipped loose in a whiplash. But question for anyone that has dealt with USPS customer service.

Ever have to deal with a typo in your address? One digit off in the street number (my fat finger). Concerned it’ll get sent back as invalid address, and I shudder at the idea of this being handled by USPS a second time.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That does suck and I feel for him but holy shit, personal boomer moment on my end, I guess – when I get something absurdly damaged in the mail, my first thought is never to ask my girlfriend / friend / family to film myself with a nonplussed facial expression, then cut to the package, and add a quirky indie bop in the background for a spicy bruh moment on social media.  As someone who doesn’t fuck with Instagram that much (or TikTok at all), is this a real thing people do often?  I thought everyone just demanded a refund and then bitched about the experience on forums.

10 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

That does suck and I feel for him but holy shit, personal boomer moment on my end, I guess – when I get something absurdly damaged in the mail, my first thought is never to ask my girlfriend / friend / family to film myself with a nonplussed facial expression, then cut to the package, and add a quirky indie bop in the background for a spicy bruh moment on social media.  As someone who doesn’t fuck with Instagram that much (or TikTok at all), is this a real thing people do often?  I thought everyone just demanded a refund and then bitched about the experience on forums.

oh man, you wont ever want to dl the tiktok app. trust me. My wife falls asleep watching it, they're all like this

Edited by satoshi

8 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

It's all about the likes, baby. 

11 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I would also bet a decent sum of money that he already opened the record and just decided to fold the empty mailer for the clout

Just now, satoshi said:

oh man, you wont ever want to dl the tiktok app. trust me

Haha, you speak the truth.  I'm way too old and jaded for that shit.  I think there should be an age restriction on TikTok.  One that flags any user over the age of 29.

Just now, mitchard said:

It's all about the likes, baby. 

Oh yeah for sure.  It's harrowing to consider that current & future generations will never know what life resembled before Likes.  They must wonder why anyone did anything.

Just now, Derek™ said:

Oh yeah for sure.  It's harrowing to consider that current & future generations will never know what life resembled before Likes.  They must wonder why anyone did anything.

I think it was for the Lulz before it was all about the Likes. Before that, I don't think anybody had good reason to do anything, really. 

• 2 months later...

I live roughly 10 minutes from the JC hub and i've noticed the last bunch of packages i've had that usually go through there, were in Kearny first then a random spot like Clifton, which are both really close to me too, but not JC.  

A few records were in no mans land once they got and left Kearny, so I suspect they were in JC too.  I didn't open up any kind of inquiry with USPS as I just let it ride.  

40 minutes ago, IntoXAnother said:

I live roughly 10 minutes from the JC hub and i've noticed the last bunch of packages i've had that usually go through there, were in Kearny first then a random spot like Clifton, which are both really close to me too, but not JC.  

A few records were in no mans land once they got and left Kearny, so I suspect they were in JC too.  I didn't open up any kind of inquiry with USPS as I just let it ride.  

I have not but did have a package a few years ago shipping to Brooklyn which was insured and got lost.  This was the first package I insured in years and only did it at the customers request.  I tried filing an insurance claim and USPS denied it.  On my final hail marry 4th claim denial rebuttal they finally paid out on the loss.  It felt like a huge scam.  I'd never bother with insurance again with USPS after that ordeal.

On 3/30/2022 at 10:51 AM, ZeroNowhere said:

I have not but did have a package a few years ago shipping to Brooklyn which was insured and got lost.  This was the first package I insured in years and only did it at the customers request.  I tried filing an insurance claim and USPS denied it.  On my final hail marry 4th claim denial rebuttal they finally paid out on the loss.  It felt like a huge scam.  I'd never bother with insurance again with USPS after that ordeal.

I'm shocked but my appeal was approved yesterday. I attached correspondence with the seller, a packing slip, and printed the paypal receipt. I figured it needed overkill to be approved and it did. So, do they mail a check to me?

7 hours ago, N8TRU said:

I'm shocked but my appeal was approved yesterday. I attached correspondence with the seller, a packing slip, and printed the paypal receipt. I figured it needed overkill to be approved and it did. So, do they mail a check to me?

Yes, they sent me a check out of the blue.  It was like winning the lottery.  Glad you had better results than I did.  One of the issues I ran in to was I included shipping cost in the insurance which you shouldn't do, it should be cost of goods only.  Lesson learned there, but still a hassle.  They definitely go out of there way to try not to pay you and hope you give up.

2 minutes ago, ZeroNowhere said:

Yes, they sent me a check out of the blue.  It was like winning the lottery.  Glad you had better results than I did.  One of the issues I ran in to was I included shipping cost in the insurance which you shouldn't do, it should be cost of goods only.  Lesson learned there, but still a hassle.  They definitely go out of there way to try not to pay you and hope you give up.

That's very interesting. I definitely lucked out because in the correspondence they could see where I told the buyer I would sell the item for $200.00 and I would cover the shipping with my own money. And being the insurance increments are in amounts of $50.00, I got exactly $200.00 to cover it.

• 9 months later...