Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

Oh hey look. After all of this BS, he either STILL hasn't read the original post or he has some serious reading comprehension problems.

At this point, we should be less concerned with whether or not he gets his vinyl setup together and start worrying about how he's going to make it through life.

Sorry, I was randomly referred to this thread a few days ago when I asked my original question.

I have had absolutely no experience in this area - and the title of the thread didn't seem like it was going to answer my question, but I was referred to it, so I asked my own question.

I don't have trouble comprehending what I've read, I just didn't read all 30 pages. I skimmed through the OP to get a feel for what the parts of the setup were.

Seek help, you have anger problems.

Well I HAD to post that image because of this: http://youtu.be/8NUBVcit5VM?t=1m9s

But the reason people are still busting your balls is probably because for a moment there it seemed that, after it's been recommended numerous times, you finally figured out you should probably read it:

Also, how would you set something up like that?

OH. I see, my bad. :P

But a few posts later you still asked questions that are explained in there. I don't mind, really, as long as it's all in one thread, but you have to admit, it is kind of funny....

Well I HAD to post that image because of this: http://youtu.be/8NUBVcit5VM?t=1m9s

But the reason people are still busting your balls is probably because for a moment there it seemed that, after it's been recommended numerous times, you finally figured out you should probably read it:

But a few posts later you still asked questions that are explained in there. I don't mind, really, as long as it's all in one thread, but you have to admit, it is kind of funny....

Great movie.

Anyway... Yeah, I don't know. It's not as easy for me to navigate huge threads like this. It's easier if it's broken up into smaller ones, but I'll try harder.

Because there is at least one newbie post a day asking for advice, can we change the name of this thread please to something more likely for them to look at before posting? Most of these kids probably don't know what Hi-Fi means. Can it be called "An introduction to turntables: The beginners guide to Hi-Fi" The majority of the questions pertain to turntables even though the thread goes way deeper than that, hopefully it could draw new poster's eyes before they make a new post that just gets linked here. Just a suggestion.

Because there is at least one newbie post a day asking for advice, can we change the name of this thread please to something more likely for them to look at before posting? Most of these kids probably don't know what Hi-Fi means. Can it be called "An introduction to turntables: The beginners guide to Hi-Fi" The majority of the questions pertain to turntables even though the thread goes way deeper than that, hopefully it could draw new poster's eyes before they make a new post that just gets linked here. Just a suggestion.

Good point although I hear them called vinyl players rather then turntables all the time now, accurate but confusing to us old people

I though about changing the title for a while now. Something like "read this before asking for advice". Though I also considered making a thread titled "rules before posting a new thread" and have it stickied, but that would probably just create extra confusion...

One good thing that came out of the current title though is that before the change, new threads would usually start with "which crosley should I buy?", now they start with "I know crosleys are bad, what should I upgrade with?".  So there's at least that :)

Haha, pretty much yeah.

Off topic, mesi, did you end up buying that TT15?

To be honest I still have not bought it. As I don't plan on using it until we will move, I just did not feel comfortable in having it sit here unopened for 6 months just because I figured it was a good deal (plus getting a nasty look from my wife for even thinking about that did not help either ;) )

I called them though and they told me that they will keep it at that price until they run out of stock, so I just figured that I'll take a gamble and see if it is still available in March.

I though about changing the title for a while now. Something like "read this before asking for advice". Though I also considered making a thread titled "rules before posting a new thread" and have it stickied, but that would probably just create extra confusion...

One good thing that came out of the current title though is that before the change, new threads would usually start with "which crosley should I buy?", now they start with "I know crosleys are bad, what should I upgrade with?".  So there's at least that :)

I agree with the title change. People only just read the first few words and it makes it sound like this thread is only about Crosleys, but it is obviously so much more. Maybe "Beginner's Guide To Turntables/ Hi- Fi Equipment. READ THE FIRST PAGE. THEN READ AGAIN!"

I have an old crosley and an even older BSR turntable however i plan on buying a debut carbon. right now i have a sony home theater setup which does not have a phono input only an AUX and the tv/cable inputs.  My question is would i be able to buy the debut carbon get a phono preamp and then have a cable (Rca to stereo?) from the preamp into the aux so i could use my current speaker setup? 

thank you

I have an old crosley and an even older BSR turntable however i plan on buying a debut carbon. right now i have a sony home theater setup which does not have a phono input only an AUX and the tv/cable inputs.  My question is would i be able to buy the debut carbon get a phono preamp and then have a cable (Rca to stereo?) from the preamp into the aux so i could use my current speaker setup? 

thank you

Yeah, definitely. The Sony HT setup probably already has the RCA inputs for AUX, but even if it's a different kind (like a "headphone style" input), there are cables out there to connect the phono preamp to it.

Hey folks,

I can grab a Pioneer PL-990 tt from a friend (already have a decent set-up, this is extra) for basically nothing.

Any thoughts on that particular brand/model??

Cheap plastic crap i'm afraid, not quite as bad as a Crosley but not much better. Pioneer should have known better really.

Cheap plastic crap i'm afraid, not quite as bad as a Crosley but not much better. Pioneer should have known better really.

Well, that's what I was thinking...Pioneer might be decent. Especially for a secondary. But I guess not. Oh well.

Figured it was worth asking since he just wanted to "dump" it. Thanks for your input!

I did grab his Denon DRA-295 receiver, though, which seems like a nice enough little extra.