Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

stanton has a curved tone arm model, I may just go with that.

I like Technics stuff though, but I don't have any place local to check them out. Guitar Center is really my only option around here, that I know of. (Albany, NY).

Why are you looking at getting another Stanton? Save up and get a MMH, Rega, Pro-ject, something along those lines. I know how much you nuy post rock records, and CDs. Just slow down a bit on that and you'll have money for a new set up in no time. Put some money aside and you'll give all those records the set up they deserve. You'll appreciate the albums so much more. I'm telling you.

Go to a hifi store and listen for yourself. Check out a proper set up and you'll hear what you're missing.

This place isn't too far from you: http://adkav.com/

Why are you looking at getting another Stanton? Save up and get a MMH, Rega, Pro-ject, something along those lines. I know how much you nuy post rock records, and CDs. Just slow down a bit on that and you'll have money for a new set up in no time. Put some money aside and you'll give all those records the set up they deserve. You'll appreciate the albums so much more. I'm telling you.

Go to a hifi store and listen for yourself. Check out a proper set up and you'll hear what you're missing.

Dave gets it. Your ears will tell you all you need to know.

Also new isn't your only option and when you get right to the top of the tree with Stanton they do make some nice tables but like a Technics SL1200 you're paying a lot of money for it being a DJ table when a proper HiFi table in the same price range will sound better

Legit advice. I went to my local hifi place and oh man did I realize how good it could get.

That used Kenwood TT that have looks really nice.

At least very least, invest in an U-Turn Orbit. Don't go with another Stanton.

Edit Nice vintage stuff in your area on CL too.

http://albany.craigslist.org/ele/5540818751.html

http://albany.craigslist.org/ele/5534362548.html<- Needs some work, but a nice table.

Word thanks guys, I didn't know about that store! When I have some time in the next month or so, I'm going to drive up there.

Also, just spent some time on the Orbit website. I hope the Adirondak place has some, I'd like to check them out in person before buying. But it looks like thats the way I'll go, very easy to customize, which I like.

Probably going with the acrylic platter, Grado black or blue.

They all come with the plastic dust cover, yeah?

I'm not thrilled that it's belt-drive, but at least its easy to find replacements. I've heard bad things about belt drive tables.

Word thanks guys, I didn't know about that store! When I have some time in the next month or so, I'm going to drive up there.

Also, just spent some time on the Orbit website. I hope the Adirondak place has some, I'd like to check them out in person before buying. But it looks like thats the way I'll go, very easy to customize, which I like.

Probably going with the acrylic platter, Grado black or blue.

They all come with the plastic dust cover, yeah?

I'm not thrilled that it's belt-drive, but at least its easy to find replacements. I've heard bad things about belt drive tables.

Save $100 more and get a Carbon. You're going from a DJ table to an entry level table. Just save up a bit more, man, I'm telling you. You're going to have this table for a good while. $100-150 more is not much in the grand scheme of it, especially considering you much you say you listen to. The plinth is heavier, the tone arm is better, the cart is a little better for what you listen to, etc. The U Turn is decent for what it is, but if you have the funds to go a little higher, do it. It's really worth it. Plus you can easily upgrade the cart later down the road with that Carbon, add a platter, etc.

Belt drives really aren't a problem. Just take care of them, and they'll be fine.

I'm saying, just go up to that hifi store and sample the sound before pulling the trigger on anything. Especially before you buy a U Turn. Sell that table you have now and you're a little closer to the upgrade. Records and the equipment that goes along with them, it's an investment. Put the money into it (not saying you have to spend $5k here or anything) and you'll appreciate it all that much more. Your ears will thank you.

Be patient. Put in the research. GO LISTEN. Seriously. Go listen. Bring your favorite records with you and sample them. You'll be surprised what you've been missing.

Some of the very best tables are belt drive and there are tables that cost more than a house that are belt drive so I expect pretty much everything you've heard about belt drive is pretty much bollocks

Some of the very best tables are belt drive and there are tables that cost more than a house that are belt drive so I expect pretty much everything you've heard about belt drive is pretty much bollocks

Agreed, unless it was by a DJ who only scratches.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps a stupid question....

Should speaker cables be the same length?

For my setup, the right speaker cable needs to be 6 metres and the left about 3. I was going to try and reduce clutter and save a small amount of money by only getting the cables as long as I need, but not if it makes a difference sound-wise.

Not that stupid. I researched a bit when I was setting up. The verdict? It doesn't matter enough to notice. Most recommendations suggest keeping cable as short as reasonably possible. I don't follow that - due to weird space issues I have close to 20 ft of cable going to each speaker. 

This article outlines the sciency bits around speaker cable length: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-length-differences-do-they-matter

4 hours ago, andynz said:

Perhaps a stupid question....

Should speaker cables be the same length?

For my setup, the right speaker cable needs to be 6 metres and the left about 3. I was going to try and reduce clutter and save a small amount of money by only getting the cables as long as I need, but not if it makes a difference sound-wise.

No it's a perfectly valid question. Simple answer yes they should be and ideally you want the speakers placed so they are equidistant to the system and to your listening position but whether you will notice any difference does depend a lot on the quality of everything in your system cable included. At the distances you're talking about though I would expect you to be able to notice something.

Bottom line though if you can keep them the same length it's not going to hurt, I would also look at the positioning of all your equipment as all these little things matter to some extent and getting them right can improve any system.

Just a quick one when listening on speakers music sounds good to great bar some minor background/static when its on track run ins.

However when I listen on headphones (AKG 550) the static is alot more pronounced and rather annoying.

Is this a common issue when listening via headphones? that they pick up on more unwanted sound?

I am brushing the records before and after use with a anti static brush also.

3 minutes ago, LEUCISTIC said:

Just a quick one when listening on speakers music sounds good to great bar some minor background/static when its on track run ins.

However when I listen on headphones (AKG 550) the static is alot more pronounced and rather annoying.

Is this a common issue when listening via headphones? that they pick up on more unwanted sound?

I am brushing the records before and after use with a anti static brush also.

Headphones don't 'pick up' more unwanted sound, but your ears do when listening through them, because they are much closer to the source so that any disturbances are more audible. So, nothing to worry about, really, it's normal. When it's too annoying for you to enjoy your records, you could consider to purchase a record cleaning machine. They not only clean your records better than any brush ever could, but they rid your records of the static tension which is responsible for most clicks and pops that you notice (if using the right cleaning solution).

Yeah your wording is much better that mine with the audible static on headphones :)

I dare say some of my standard paper sleeves are contributing nicely to the issue so will be replacing them all in the next few weeks with the poly lined ones.

I have a spin clean (it came as free with the table) but I would be looking at a vacuum system in the long term

8 minutes ago, LEUCISTIC said:

Yeah your wording is much better that mine with the audible static on headphones :)

I dare say some of my standard paper sleeves are contributing nicely to the issue so will be replacing them all in the next few weeks with the poly lined ones.

I have a spin clean (it came as free with the table) but I would be looking at a vacuum system in the long term

Get a zerostat as well or you can make one from a peizo electric barbecue lighter, you get one that's just a piezo electric spark generator rather than a gas lighter and there are a few pages on the net describing what you need to do

• 2 weeks later...

How much do you guys recommend using the Onzo style cleaner?  

I'm about to make my first purchase for cleaning materials, and that seems like a good idea.  Also going to get a micro-fiber cloth and cleaning solution as well as the Audioquest brush.  I have been meaning to get cleaning supplies but I've always been absolutely stumped as to the best stuff to get, and whether or not what I get will be damaging or helpful at all.  

Also getting a ton of poly-lined anti-static sleeves too.  I love the way those feel when I slide the record out of them.  I wish all labels used them.  

On 5/18/2016 at 1:47 PM, kannibal said:

Onzow Zerodust is the way to go.

Yeahhhhh that's what I was thinking of!

2 hours ago, the munt said:

Another great thread, appreciate the tips.

When I saw "Steer Clear of Audio Technica" I was really worried, but thankfully the LP-120 made the not so terrible cut. Phew

How do you like it?  I was a store the other day and they had one, and I almost bought it because I was there.  I'm still not set on what new turntable to get, really.  

37 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

How do you like it?  I was a store the other day and they had one, and I almost bought it because I was there.  I'm still not set on what new turntable to get, really.  

The AT LP-120 is a solid enough entry-level TT. You should opt for something a little more 'upgraded' considering not only the style of music you're in to, but also the fact that you've been part of the game for some time and spend a lot of money on your records. Please, Gumby, make them worth your while by investing in something beyond average. You'll be so glad once you put a favorite of yours on and notice stuff that wasn't there before. It is worth it.

Haha yeah yeah I know, I just didn't know that one was considered such an entry level device.  I gotta comb back through but Matt recommended one since I was willing to spend $400 or so on upgrades for a U-Turn Orbit, I think it was the Pro-ject Carbon but I'm looking at these now and they don't have an angled tone-arm.

And what actually makes the difference in these?  Is it the cartridge/electronics?  Like, say... you're using a Grado cartridge, wouldn't that be the most deciding factor in the tone?  or will the components of the turntable itself in transferring that signal to your amp make a difference too?

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Haha yeah yeah I know, I just didn't know that one was considered such an entry level device.  I gotta comb back through but Matt recommended one since I was willing to spend $400 or so on upgrades for a U-Turn Orbit, I think it was the Pro-ject Carbon but I'm looking at these now and they don't have an angled tone-arm.

And what actually makes the difference in these?  Is it the cartridge/electronics?  Like, say... you're using a Grado cartridge, wouldn't that be the most deciding factor in the tone?  or will the components of the turntable itself in transferring that signal to your amp make a difference too?

For me, it's awesome, but it's my first TT and I got some upgrading to do before it's even at it's best.

I currently have my old sound system from about 8 years ago, Sherwood receiver and 5 JVL surround speakers. Nothing very special but I've taken the first step.

Not getting that warm sound I've heard on a buddies setup, but phono was too quiet so I had to switch to line output. Worked a treat for volume but still not entirely happy with the sound.

I'm on a budget so now tossing up what to upgrade... do I get a phono stage? do I wait and upgrade the receiver / speakers? New cartridge / stylus... would like to upgrade it all eventually but trying to suss out what will have the most benefit to the sound given it may be a few drinks between upgrades.

I'm sure I'll work it out eventually. I do like the look / feel of the LP-120, but I think it's a long way off it's full potential.

I was pretty stoked to hear there is a big record sale on tomorrow!