Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Haha yeah yeah I know, I just didn't know that one was considered such an entry level device.  I gotta comb back through but Matt recommended one since I was willing to spend $400 or so on upgrades for a U-Turn Orbit, I think it was the Pro-ject Carbon but I'm looking at these now and they don't have an angled tone-arm.

And what actually makes the difference in these?  Is it the cartridge/electronics?  Like, say... you're using a Grado cartridge, wouldn't that be the most deciding factor in the tone?  or will the components of the turntable itself in transferring that signal to your amp make a difference too?

For me, it's awesome, but it's my first TT and I got some upgrading to do before it's even at it's best.

I currently have my old sound system from about 8 years ago, Sherwood receiver and 5 JVL surround speakers. Nothing very special but I've taken the first step.

Not getting that warm sound I've heard on a buddies setup, but phono was too quiet so I had to switch to line output. Worked a treat for volume but still not entirely happy with the sound.

I'm on a budget so now tossing up what to upgrade... do I get a phono stage? do I wait and upgrade the receiver / speakers? New cartridge / stylus... would like to upgrade it all eventually but trying to suss out what will have the most benefit to the sound given it may be a few drinks between upgrades.

I'm sure I'll work it out eventually. I do like the look / feel of the LP-120, but I think it's a long way off it's full potential.

I was pretty stoked to hear there is a big record sale on tomorrow!

8 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

And what actually makes the difference in these?  Is it the cartridge/electronics?  Like, say... you're using a Grado cartridge, wouldn't that be the most deciding factor in the tone?  or will the components of the turntable itself in transferring that signal to your amp make a difference too?

Basically unlike a digital sound source a turntable is a mechanical device and quality mechanical engineering costs money. A cartridge is a very accurate transducer (even the cheap ones) and like a speaker which is also a transducer the ideal is for the transducer to be in free air, so you want those expensive mechanicals to do a good job of spinning your record at a very stable speed and the platter and plinth supporting the record and your arm to act as if it isnt really there.

The most important things in pretty much any turntable and tone arm are the bearings, these allow the platter to spin properly, the motor to spin cleanly and the arm to track properly.

The better the cartridge generally the more difficult it is to get it to track because the cantilever is much finer so the quality of the arm bearings, arm geometry and positioning and materials dictate how well the arm allows that expensive cartridge to work.

Also with any turntable you are trying to get a neutral sound and any of the mechanical and electrical components can add something to that sound both good and bad so the quality of every mechanical part right down to the feet it all sits on, the wire in the tonearm and the motor and it's speed stability control can have a big influence on the sound that table produces and music it actually allows through to your amplifier.

So things that can add noise or restrict the signal are bad. The reason automatics are frowned upon is all the extra electronics and mechanics can add things you don't want and the reason belt drives are generally prefered for hifi is that the belt isolates the motor from the platter, of course there's good and bad in all of this but generally if someone went to a lot of trouble in the making of any turntable it's going to be good.

the next problem is the amplifier and speakers need to be of the same quality to allow all this good stuff through so welcome to the world of real hifi and say goodbye to the contents of your wallet

So my table is still in the shop, been there for two weeks, and it made me realize I should have a back up. I'm really interested in learning to fix, solder parts, etc myself on my tables, so does anyone have any suggestions for tables to keep an eye out to learn? I was thinking of trying to find an old beat up thorens to try to restore, but that might be too large a step. Maybe a Rega, since there are a lot of parts available?

Having only one table is against multiple human rights laws and is quite possibly some form of abuse, but as a safety tip always ask your nurse before purchasing any other expensive turntables as the bruises left after she finds out can be quite painful. I have thinned down a little now so I think I'm down below 20 just which is an acceptable number.

2nd one, Thorens and Rega yes, or AR and there were quite a few far eastern made tables from the big names and also badged up for other people that can do a perfectly good job for little outlay that you can pick up in thrift stores and junk shops. On my travels in the US I've seen quite a few for around $20 or $30 although it is getting harder to find them they are still out there.

9 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

I was just given a AT96E without a stylus. A quick google search says it is just a rebranded AT12. Worth buying a stylus for? It seems I was get an AT Shibata stylus for it, but not sure if it's worth the price. Tons of aftermarket styli for it too, some .2x.7 ellipticals. Anyone heard one?

AT made a bewildering array of cartridges that were all mechanically quite similar and it's the stylus that's fitted that makes the difference so it depends which stylus you are going to fit but in general they are all basically good cartridges and worth a go. The good or bad thing depending on your point of view with a lot of the AT range is that there are not that many variations of body type so the stylus choice is pretty large for OEM even before you start on the after market ones.

Hey guys. Sorry to rehash this same question that's been asked over and over and over again. But here goes: looking to get a TT. Right now I have nothing. At a loss as to what to get. I have an eye on a Pro Ject Expression III that comes with speedbox for around $500. I know there are better options out there, but I'm trying to stay within that price point. I was also debating between a rega P3, or music hall, I see alot of people talking about those. So basically what would you recommend? 

14 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

Allen, any recommendations on cleaning up a plastic TT plinth? The SL-D2 I just bought is pretty dirty, and I don't know the best way to do it. It does not need to be perfect, but presentable. I cleaned the corners with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol and they turned black right away so it's pretty nasty.

l wouldn't use rubbing alcohol anywhere near any of the labels or lettering as it might well take it off but any decent non abrasive kitchen or window cleaner should be ok, also the stuff used for cleaning plastic garden furniture should work but what ever you use try a little bit on somewhere inside so you can see whether it reacts with the plastic at all before you go to far.

Edited by allenh
Keybord failed

5 minutes ago, allenh said:

l wouldn't use rubbing alcohol anywhere near any of the labels or lettering as it might well take it off but any decent non abrasive kitchen or window cleaner should be ok, also the stuff used for cleaning plastic garden furniture should work but what ever you use try a little bit on somewhere inside so you can see whether it reacts with the plastic at all before you go to far.

Yeah, I just used the rubbing alcohol on the cracks under the platter to test it out. I did use some dish soap on the side, and it seemed to help a bit. I'll try window cleaner when I get home. Thanks!

I feel like by the time I get it all cleaned up and ready to use, my HK will be done (though even the shop can't get it to keep the correct speeds yet).

I've just fitted an Ortofon 2M Blue to my turntable, and now have it all set up and aligned after discovering I needed to upgrade my counterweight to the 75g one.

To my ears, out of the box it sounds like an improvement over my OM10. It does sound a little harsh at times, is this something that is likely to mellow out/soften once it is run in (I have read it needs about 30-50 hours to run in). 

On 6/9/2016 at 8:55 PM, Eliminator Jr. said:

@andynz I've had a 2m blue for about two years before it started wearing off and was so happy with it that I replaced the needle instead of upgrading. And yes, it might come off a bit harsh at the beginning but definitely starts mellowing out 10-15h in. 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm purchasing a U-Turn Orbit very soon. I was gifted these speakers a little while ago and I'm wondering if these will be able to hook up with RCA wires without the need of a preamp?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262455347994 

I'll be using them until I can upgrade to some decent speakers, but for now would love to know if I need a preamp for them or not. 

2 hours ago, [Banned User] said:

I'm purchasing a U-Turn Orbit very soon. I was gifted these speakers a little while ago and I'm wondering if these will be able to hook up with RCA wires without the need of a preamp?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262455347994 

I'll be using them until I can upgrade to some decent speakers, but for now would love to know if I need a preamp for them or not. 

The listing has been removed. Are they active speakers? Active speakers allow you to bypass the use of an amplifier, but you will still need a phono preamp to convert the sound from the turntable up to line level.

7 hours ago, mesi said:

The listing has been removed. Are they active speakers? Active speakers allow you to bypass the use of an amplifier, but you will still need a phono preamp to convert the sound from the turntable up to line level.

Ok, that makes sense. Here are the speakers again just for reference:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech-Z333-2.1-Channel-Subwoofer-40W-Multimedia-Speaker-System-Control-Pod/49944407?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=42&adid=22222222228037383830&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=85329970610&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=193259269010&veh=sem

4 hours ago, [Banned User] said:

Wouldnt use the sub. Just a suggestion. But yeah still need a phono pre.