Neutral Milk Hotel Reunion Tour

Yeah this was definitely one of the best shows I have ever been to.

I was really unsure of what to expect, but I was completely blown away.

The horns were what really did it for me.

Seeing Jeff and Scott play was enough to fulfill my dreams, but fuck I can't wait to see NMH.

They put on a really great show last night. I think I've been converted from a casual fan to something stronger. I'm reminded why I hate larger venues though. Being herded to collect tickets made me feel like livestock. Fortunately I was away from the weird moshing, but I'm not used to being packed so tight into a space. Plus I find it weird how much people flipped their shit every time a wind instrument was used. Those people would probably have their brains melted at a ska concert. Maybe it's just the expectations one should have for the sheltered college kids, so bright-eyed to a world outside of whatever they've known all their lives.

I thought it was great, and it was one of the more packed shows I've been to at the National for sure.  The sounded great, and they played everything I wanted to hear.  I agree about the conversion feeling.  There were a handful of songs I didn't recognize, so I need to do my homework.  They sold out of the poster I wanted while I was in line, so that's a bummer.

random show announced: http://www.ticketfly.com/event/400847?utm_source=MEL&utm_medium=47309

In Jersey City...I snagged orchestra pit

I guess I didn't have to travel all the way to Baltimore to see them up close haha

I am tempted to make the drive up from Philly. I managed to get an orchestra pit ticket in my cart. Already seeing them twice in Philly. hmmm

EDIT: Bought one. See you there!

• 2 weeks later...

caught 'em last Sunday here in Birmingham....my Girlfriend spotted Jeff in Whole Foods (where she works) the next day.....unfortunately she didn't approach him or even snag a picture....the show was incredible, only complaint I had with it what-so-ever is he should have gone full-circle and swapped Engine with Two Headed Boy pt. 2 to end the set

• 2 weeks later...

The band was scheduled to play Harvest Festival here in Australia so I bought an expensive ticket just to see them. Through some stroke of luck the festival went under/was cancelled, I got a refund, the band rescheduled solo shows and now I'm seeing them at a smaller venue for a cheaper price this Thursday! 

Incredible show last night! I arrived early and heard the band soundchecking so I found a quiet space in the shade by the back of the venue and experienced an awesome personal set in a strange suburban alleyway. 

After that the band members came out one by one and stopped to speak to me and were incredibly kind and appreciative (maybe because I was the only one around and wasn't likely to mob them) and took the time to have a conversation and sign my record. Scott never came out but lo and behold, some twist of fate found him standing right by me after we'd been told to leave the venue and he too was a rad and down to earth guy. 

null_zpsbe50cb51.jpg

I mentioned to Jeff that my girlfriend couldn't make it to the show and he drew this amazing picture: 

Scan63_zpsbc34ddcf.jpeg

The Setlist was as follows: 

The King of Carrot Flowers, Part One 

The King of Carrot Flowers, Parts Two & Three 

Holland, 1945 

A Baby for Pree 

Gardenhead / Leave Me Alone 

Everything Is 

Two-Headed Boy 

The Fool 

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea 

Ferris Wheel on Fire 

Naomi 

Oh Comely 

Song Against Sex 

Ruby Bulbs 

Snow Song, Part One 

Encore:

Ghost 

[untitled] 

Two-Headed Boy, Part Two 

Engine 

The highlights for me were the real singalong songs (Two Headed Boy in particular) and I was blown away by the full band version of Ferris Wheel On Fire. Hopefully I'll have a chance to catch them again some day, such an unbelievable experience.