Blake Schwarzenbach's 2013 Mobile Disco Decathlon

I didn't end up going due to Richmond getting slammed by that storm.  I probably could have made it, but I eventually rationalized that I'd rather be disappointed I didn't go than be disappointed that it totally sucked and possibly sour my love of Blake.  Based on the description, I went with not going.  Thanks for your review, I feel a lot better about my decision.  It sounds like a mess, and I'm not sure him playing "Boxcar" or "Lucky Charm" would make it all worth it.  I'll wait for what is hopefully an inevitable Jawbreaker or Jets reunion.

Wow. It sounds a lot better. I listened to that Low Times Podcast he did, and it sheds a bit of light on what he's trying to do with this tour. It's supposed to be a Bowie-esque performance art thing. It's a relatively coherent listen relative to the storm of gibberish we got at Metro Gallery, but even with a greater understanding of his goals for the performance, I haven't changed my mind about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, I'm glad I went last night (Cleveland). It felt like he only played 5 songs, but it must have been more as per Scott's count. Blake referenced Dylan at Newport a couple of times, and as a Dylan fan, I can see where he was going with the alter ego idea even if it didn't really work. But what was there was his underlying talent, and the unique sound of his guitar and voice, and that was what I went for. For 8 or 10 bucks, I would gladly go see this show again.

I went tonight to the last show of the tour here in Philly. The banter was pretty good (bashing Apple, Green Day, etc), and he sounded awesome. I was up front so I got to see him toying around with his pedals, which added to it. He covered Nothing Man by Bruce Springsteen, and afterwards I talked to him about Springsteen records. I had a crappy week and this could have made it or broken it, and it certainly made it.

Also - his girlfriend has to be like half his age. 

well, i'm 12 yrs younger than blake and i'd probably do him so what's another 10 yrs younger.  does she seem familiar with his music though?  i remember i was wearing a jawbreaker shirt at whole foods and the 20 something hipster-looking guys checking/bagging my groceries asked me what jawbreaker was.  whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?  that totally blew my mind but someone told me that it wasn't like jawbreaker was all that ubiquitous so....?

well, i'm 12 yrs younger than blake and i'd probably do him so what's another 10 yrs younger.  does she seem familiar with his music though?  i remember i was wearing a jawbreaker shirt at whole foods and the 20 something hipster-looking guys checking/bagging my groceries asked me what jawbreaker was.  whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?  that totally blew my mind but someone told me that it wasn't like jawbreaker was all that ubiquitous so....?

'

Yeah, if there's one thing I learned from this tour is that Jawbreaker doesn't carry nearly the weight it used to. There were maybe 35-40 people at the Cleveland show, maybe. It seems like most cities had similar turnouts. Kinda surprising.

Overall, I'm glad I went last night (Cleveland). It felt like he only played 5 songs, but it must have been more as per Scott's count. Blake referenced Dylan at Newport a couple of times, and as a Dylan fan, I can see where he was going with the alter ego idea even if it didn't really work. But what was there was his underlying talent, and the unique sound of his guitar and voice, and that was what I went for. For 8 or 10 bucks, I would gladly go see this show again.

What did he say about Green Day? Crazy people aren't so fucking boring?