The Xbox One

I'll wait until after E3 and some clarification before declaring it DOA.

True, the bungled the announcement but they've sold somewhere around 80 million Xbox 360's to date. That is a lot of defectors for the PS4 to be a run-away success out of the gate. Especially if they try some alternate pricing bundles which could make it more enticing to casual players, or first-time console buyers, if there is such a thing. 

If public sentiment is still this negative after E3, they could have a real problem on their hands. 

There were somewhere around 100 million PS2s sold around the last generation upgrade and we all know how many "defectors" that led to. That was with not near as much hate that MS is facing right now, if they don't turn it around come E3 I'll declare it DOA and be really disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting fact I learned about new electronics -- The prices are so high and then shoot down because some of the machines that produce the circuits needed by these technologies produce huge amounts of defects when they are first fired up (like 70-80% defect rates). As they work out the kinks in the machining processes, that goes down significantly (like single digits or less).

I think I read somewhere the ms will be giving games free for gold members like ps plus.

They are they are currently giving away Fable 3 which is a 3 year old game that retails for about $20 and $10 used that you can beat in about 3 hours.

Next month they give out halo 3 a 6 year old game that is only fun online if you buy the $30 worth of DLC for it. and Assassin's creed 2 which came out 4 years ago and you can get that for about $15 while last year playstation + gave out:

GhcIWCd.jpg

in 2012

That was a back handed compliment I'm leaning to the PlayStation 4

Interesting fact I learned about new electronics -- The prices are so high and then shoot down because some of the machines that produce the circuits needed by these technologies produce huge amounts of defects when they are first fired up (like 70-80% defect rates). As they work out the kinks in the machining processes, that goes down significantly (like single digits or less).

Sounds about right...I work in manufacturing as a test engineer and typically process yields go up and defects go down as time goes on.

That said, that sucks that the defect rates are so high. :blink:

I still think Mircosoft bombed it on this one. I gave up on them and Xbox a long time ago (after having my less than a year old console red ring on me, only to have 3 replacements do the same thing). Plus having to pay to play online is just the stupidest thing in the world.

While it might change with the new system I will say that $5 a month was a small price to pay for how much better Live was over PS3.

Full disclosure I sold my PS3 a while back. Mostly due to how clunky the online experience was. My only real criticism of PS3, beyond the controller. It is probably better now.

Ha!

I have to admit, being in manufacturing is a strange new experience for me (tomorrow is my 1 year...holy crap). I have had to take mandatory statistics courses that are taught in-house...measurement capability analysis, process control systems, etc. Fun stuff I suppose.

Back on topic: I am still leaning toward PS4, but I can see myself grabbing the Xbox One just for the heck of it.