The Xbox One

Ps4 399. Ps4 will have no used game restriction what so ever.

Ps3 had some of the same shenanigans going on. I bought a copy of Arkham city that had the download code for "extra story lines" already redeemed. After I bought the download, was more than a new game would have been (being nearly a greatest hit by that point).

I believe all the sports games have a single download code for online play now.

So they might have different ways of spinning it and be done to different degrees, but the ps3 game developers are doing the same kinda things to make you pay them for used games.

Ps3 had some of the same shenanigans going on. I bought a copy of Arkham city that had the download code for "extra story lines" already redeemed. After I bought the download, was more than a new game would have been (being nearly a greatest hit by that point).

So they might have different ways of spinning it and be done to different degrees, but the ps3 game developers are doing the same kinda things to make you pay them for used games.

A 10 dollar online pass or one time use DLC code doesn't compare to paying full price. Once they go greatest hits or platinum hits or whatever sub $30 price point it's best to buy them new, unless they have no one time use code whatsoever.

That's a developer thing not a console thing. Xbox one those is requiring a sign in every 24 hours for game authentication plus limited sharing. Now restrictions at all for ps4

Well it's looking like I'll be getting a PS4 then. Cheaper and I don't have to pay for online play is a good combo.

Jack Tretton insinuated that a PSPlus membership may be required for online gaming on the PS4. Given the amount of free content you get anyways, I will welcome that if it improves the online multiplayer experience for Sony.

Edit: confirmed http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/kotaku/full/~3/K8uXG-M9J6c/story01.htm

As a long time PSPlus and Xbox live subscriber I am no stranger to this. Hopefully for the casual user out there that wants to game/watch blurays/stream media they won't make PSPlus mandatory for things like Netflix and Hulu.

That's a developer thing not a console thing. Xbox one those is requiring a sign in every 24 hours for game authentication plus limited sharing. Now restrictions at all for ps4

From my point of view, I don't really care who is doing it. Just that it makes used games almost obsolete by being just marginally cheaper than brand new,

Unless maybe the market responds and the price of the actual discs plummets due to the consumer realizing that they have to pay for the code as well? I don't know. Just saying, PS3 wasn't exactly used game heaven anyways.

So, what happens if the xbone can't connect for its daily check it? Have they said anything about it?

"With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console," reads Microsoft's statement.

If playing games on another Xbox One, such as a friend's or family member's, the console will require check-in with an active Internet connection every hour.

Microsoft adds that "offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you reestablish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."

The DRM stuff doesn't impact me, but I get the anger over it. I'm honestly really intrigued by the internet connectivity requirements. At this price point and with that requirement they've shut out the lowest common denominator which actually could lead to a better experience.

If all this "cloud computing" mumbo jumbo is true and developers figure out how to harness it effectively might lead to some cool new features or something. Big IF I suppose... also if people flat out refuse to buy it more developers will focus on the PS4 and only 1st Party titles might have a reason to optimize for the Xbox.  

I'm sorry but I found this to be, just a giant, rude fuck you, way to alienate your user base along with force people to pay for Xbox live, I remember when I liked Microsoft because they cared about gamers but money corrupts all I guess:

wow

With Microsoft's track record they'll stop supporting the 360 10 minutes after their new console is released too.

Here's the thing: The are like a 1,000 different types of gamers at this point. I think PS4 has this locked up by going after as many different types of gamers as possible.

Oh for sure. No question that, at this point, the PS4 has the broadest appeal within the core demographic. I think the Xbox One, as a device, has more to offer to a wider range of audiences. But unfortunately for them, not at the launch price point.

No idea how long they'll support the system, the Xbox has a smaller install base and saw support for 3 years after the 360 launch. I'd guess a little longer for this cycle but it is just a pure guess. 

Im making the jump back to playstation. Ill keep my 360, but fuck buying a one. Sony shit on Microsoft in my opinion. The used game thing is huge to me because I always buy used games or borrow from friends. I just hate how small the controller is for playstation. But its Microsoft, something tells me they will do whatever it takes to fix it. In my eyes its just a huge difference between the two and the ps4 wins.

I found this on reddit and I thought I'd share:

So I was talking with a friend of mine today and we were discussing the PS4 and XBONE Im a PS4 fanboy and and hes a Xbox 360 fanboy and we argue about it all the time and he suddenly got very quiet. Then he said something that really got to me.

He said, I'm really tired of talking about the new consoles. At first i was a real dick about it. Talking about how the PS4 did everything the xbone didnt. His response kinda caught me off guard. He said: "It makes me really sad. I grew up with Xbox, I Have so many memories of playing games with my brother and my friends and now I feel like the company that once provided those memories has turned its back on me. It makes me sad and sick."

I realized that its not really about the PS4 and the Xbox One, what Microsoft is doing. It is about the misplaced gamers. I know there are those that will adamentaly stand by the Xbox and that's great and all. Yet there are still so many who feel without a home. Even with the availability of the PS4 and PC as a platform, its not quiet the same.

For that, I'd like to say I'm sorry. Not that who I am or what I can say can make it better but as a PS4 fanboy, and a fellow gamer I'm truly sorry. I hope that you find something on another platform that builds new memories.

(P.S. I really dont want to come off as pretentious, I legitimately feel bad and if you are sticking with Xbox this generation more power to you. Game on my friends Game On.)

Edit: I don't know why but I feel compelled, after reading some of the comments regarding brand loyalty and it just being a gaming console so here it is: I think part of it was when you buy a console, you invest in it. Time and money. You develop a bond with characters in games, which may sound silly to some(its just a game right?) but i liken to a good book or a tv show that ends to soon.

You finish the book with cliff hanger expect a sequel, only to find out the writer has moved on. Or your favorite tv show is canceled and it left a bunch of unanswered questions. I realize its not exactly the same, as its a choice not to buy the Xbox one, but i can understand that feeling and it sucks.

Edit tl;dr Its not about brand loyalty its about the unfinished adventures.

I didn't know someone could be so emotionally attached to a video game console.

I got a PS2 over Xbox and I think that was the right choice. Then I got an 360 because of the online and most of my friends had an Xbox. I'm now going to switch to PS4 because everything about the new Xbox looks awful. I just go to whatever system I think will be the best.