Dear International People buying records from the US.

Guest realtalk

and if someone from europe/australia etc. wants to link me to a thread that has multiple people from the us complaining about shipping prices, feel free.

Check most City and Colour threads

Man, Americans are so egocentric. Retitle this thread: "Shit Americans have been complaining about for years that they are just now getting a taste of and will now also complain about."

My usual refusal to ship internationally is generally based on people lowballing to offset shipping costs. I understand their reasoning, but I'm not going to lose cash on the deal to cover shipping. I'm usually one to be fair and help cover costs, but a $15-20 hit isn't worth it. 

i understand that mate, and maybe im over dramatizing things alittle but i for one have never lowballed and ive even sent through extra $$ to cover any extra postage costs endured by the seller to make up the difference (whether it be that they have told me it was more or ive noticed once it arrived)

Easy way for US people to clear up any mystery over international shipping is to buy a scale. Every ounce counts and its good to know what you're looking at before going to the post office so this way its fair all around.

I do agree to a point with the OP that International people have been posting a lot of complaints about USPS shipping, but I feel thats because labels are charging wildly different prices for shipping overall. It happens with US orders too but a $1-$2 (which some US people complain about too) as opposed to a $5-$7 difference is huge.

Check most City and Colour threads

Man, Americans are so egocentric. Retitle this thread: "Shit Americans have been complaining about for years that they are just now getting a taste of and will now also complain about."

yes I have been complaining about high international shipping prices for years on internet message boards.

also I didn't say anything about canada because obviously they have it worse than anyone so your city and colour example doesn't make sense.

I had a list of all the countries that I had shipped to, but stopped keeping track when it became pretty much every country (that buys records).

The number one problem isn't the cost, it is the lack of tracking. Sure it might cost $12 to ship a record overseas, but to get tracking it will cost closer to $30. Add in customs eating packages and that is why people don't like shipping. Then there are also the 6 line addresses that don't even fit on customs forms.

i dont think picking shit on each is solving anything, there are complainers everywhere, just chill and work out a price together...it isn't hard to offer to pay any extra it costs if it works out to be more than the postage price agreed on, for the sake of 1 or dollars it keeps both parties involved happy...i do however wish that more us people would consider shipping to Australia on more occasions

im unsure of why they dont want to, the most common excuse i get is that they cant do it online or something along those lines...not sure how it works for you guys, but i have to go to the post office for every package i send out

Ah I see. It's because its a pain in the ass to print up international labels online (sans ebay, but they put the actual value of the item on the label subjecting people to customs fees.) Yeah you have to stand in line at the PO otherwise, but I try to declare all the items less than $10 so people don't get slammed with customs. Not a big deal for me but I can't speak for other people.

I'm all down on helping out foreigners, but I always get retarded offers. Like they have absolutely no idea that shipping costs what it does. Then I tell them I need x for the record and y for shipping, they act offended like I just whipped out my dick or something. I really can't remember the last time I profited off an int'l sale. Thats why I don't like shipping outside the US. Make some informed. Fucking. Offers.

I'm all down on helping out foreigners, but I always get retarded offers. Like they have absolutely no idea that shipping costs what it does. Then I tell them I need x for the record and y for shipping, they act offended like I just whipped out my dick or something. I really can't remember the last time I profited off an int'l sale. Thats why I don't like shipping outside the US. Make some informed. Fucking. Offers.

Haha well said.  

plenty of risk involved with shipping first class international and priority international rates are high enough that no one wants to pay it.  

maybe I should have made my empathy more clear in the first post.  we understand that costs are high, it just seems like lately every thread has multiple posts complaining about it. 

I have complained about high shipping costs as well, but as far as I'm aware there's no rule for these boards saying that I can't, so i'll keep in doing it.

FUCK YOUR HIGH SHIPPING COSTS!

i have forwarded this to the usps and they will take it under consideration.  they seemed impressed with the eloquence of your language.

Now that I've found a way to get most US records to EU at US cost with insanely low shipping charges, I don't mind any more.

However, some of these comments are really ignorant:

I never bitch when I have to pay 15 billion Euro to get a record shipped from Europe.....and God forbid it's from the UK.

I for example had to import around 90% of all the records I own from US. Of course it's not a big deal when you have to import one record for every 50 you buy.

Also, buying the EU pressing of a worldwide release doesn't help either. For a record that costs $15 in the US, the EU release costs 20 eur, which is roughly $25.

PS, your money is worth more than ours (for the time being at least).  Perhaps we should bitch about that in every thread?

Wow, that's a good argument. The average pay for a store clerk/someone working in retail here (I chose this because many on this board work similar jobs) is 3.50-4 eur/hour. That's $4.50 to $5. The average (cheap) price for a record is $25-$30 (pretty much the same if you buy locally or import from the states). Fortunately our money is worth more, somehow magically this helps a lot.