PO: Shy, Low - Binary Opposition (Spartan Records)

I found out about this band a little while ago, though I forget from who haha. They are pretty awesome though. Definitely check them out. They just signed to Spartan Records yesterday. Here's the message on Spartan's website:

We are so excited to announce the newest addition to the Spartan roster -- Shy, Low. Post-rockers hailing from the hardcore haven of Richmond VA, Shy, Low play a creative blend of instrumental compositions coming from the diverse and varying influences of the band’s four members. Their new 2 song release, Binary Opposition, clocks in at just shy of 25 minutes and is an atmospheric, emotive, and visual tour de force. Recorded live on analog tape at the legendary Inner Ear Studios just outside of Washington, DC, Binary Opposition is the seasoned follow-up to the band’s self-titled record and will available on June 25th at digital retailers and on 12” vinyl.

Stream the song "Presence" below and pre-order the album on limited edition colored 12" vinyl. All orders will receive a high quality digital download on release date that includes a previously unreleased bonus track entitled "Voyager." Pre-order your copy here!

Stream their song "Presence" here: https://soundcloud.com/spartanrecords/shy-low-presence

"The average length of a NFG song is only 3min, so I must be paying $12 for ~6min of music or, like, a single. What a ripoff!"

I honestly wasn't too impressed when I saw these guys open for O'Brother last week, except whatever the last song was (which was awesome and dynamic). Seems like pretty standard post-rock for the most part. I'll still keep my eye on them, though. I think they have the potential to grow into something really good.

I would be interested in hearing you expound on your rationale. What I projected was just the first thing that popped in my mind when I noticed most of your tradelist consists of artist that put out short/pop songs.

And now that I look into it, Absence is actually the song I thought was awesome. It's tempting me into wanting this record now.

"The average length of a NFG song is only 3min, so I must be paying $12 for ~6min of music or, like, a single. What a ripoff!"

I honestly wasn't too impressed when I saw these guys open for O'Brother last week, except whatever the last song was (which was awesome and dynamic). Seems like pretty standard post-rock for the most part. I'll still keep my eye on them, though. I think they have the potential to grow into something really good.

I can't disagree with you re: the first part of their set being pretty standard fare postrock (we know what that sounds like when we hear it), and their EQ or the Sound System wasn't helping them out, but the end of the set I was pretty well into them, above avg.  My son and his roommates, more postmetal and harder rock lovers, were the ones who bought their CD and merch.

They seem to have pretty good chops already, but their studio work is so much better than live, that is why I sprung for the wax.  Sort of like Immanu El (but vocals different) when they were first on the scene after "They'll Come..." you read all the dismal reviews of them live vs the studio, but I hear they've gotten better over the years.  Could not make any of their US shows.  So hoping Shy, Low will improve as well.

Also saw recently where Immanu El have re-recorded (not just remastered)  "They'll Come..." and pressing on vinyl, I think I read that right...hope not to spreading wrong information. Alot of my posting is during lunch time, and reading online/catching is late at night.

Well, I digress.... this Shy, Low was a little splurge and gamble... look forward to hearing it next month  :)

I was unaware that all their songs are like 15 minutes long, but paying $12 for two songs is still silly to me. If this was on iTunes for $9.99 would you still buy it?

$9.99 for two songs on iTunes would be silly, but you can't compare 2 long digital tracks to 2 long tracks on vinyl. A 12" record clearly costs more money than just putting them up for digital download, and more than a 7" record as well, which these tracks obviously wouldn't be able to fit onto anyway. Regardless of the song lengths, a 12" record, no matter how many songs are on it, will cost at least $10. So $12 is by no means out of the ordinary.

Made the trek to a record store about an hour away today (in Lynchburg) and was pleasantly surprised to see this record there. Picked it up without hesitation (was planning on ordering it online anyway). Kind of strange that it's currently preorder only and plans to ship out the week of June 24th (basically a month away). I believe this to be the Purple Marble /50.

aFkIRBL.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Shipping confirmation on this, and d/l last night. There is a 3rd bonus track of 9 minutes plus, which  was my favorite over the first two after 2 listens, a bit more edgy/aggressive than the first 25 minutes.  Looking forward to the vinyl. Media mail has been nothing short of Mercurial the past month or so, trying not to get expectations up re: 2 and 3 day ship times though!!

• 11 months later...

Repress up for grabs, 2 flavors /150 each over at Spartan Records

http://spartanrecords.limitedrun.com/products/514657-shy-low-binary-opposition

Post-rockers hailing from the hardcore haven of Richmond VA, Shy, Low play a creative blend of instrumental compositions coming from the diverse and varying influences of the band’s four members. Their new 2 song release, Binary Opposition clocks in at just shy of 25 minutes and is an atmospheric, emotive, and visual tour de force. Recorded live on analog tape at the legendary Inner Ear Studios just outside of Washington, DC, Binary Opposition is the seasoned follow-up to the band’s self-titled record and is available now at digital retailers and on 12” colored vinyl.

All orders receive a digital download, including a previously unreleased bonus track, “Voyager.”

White/Clear Half & Half - $11.99   

Black/Clear Half & Half - $11.99                                                                                                  

Pressinng Information

Second pressing limited to 300 copies:

* White/Clear Half & Half (150) 
* Black/Clear Half & Half (150)

THIS IS A PRE-ORDER. ALL ORDERS WILL SHIP THE WEEK OF JULY 14TH.

Tracks

1. Presence
  2. Absence
  3. Voyager (Bonus Track)

Super nice guys and label!

Considering this. Seems to be different from what i usual listen to.

To go back to the $9 for this on iTunes hypothetical situation, theyd obvisouly not sell tracks individually and make it and album only purchase for $4-5 or so. All in all I suppose we are paying for the wax and jacket. Just don't know at that price + shipping if its worth it for me. I do love spartan records. Would love to grab this locally if that was possible.

Thanks for at least considering it.  Even though the 2 songs on the record are over 25 minutes in length combined, releasing a 12" like this is tricky proposition.  But with the band planning on touring this summer, it was really important to create something that they could sell on tour to help support themselves.  This time, we honed in the the whole "Binary Opposition" concept by creating two different half and half variants - one side clear and one side black/white.

When you pick up a copy on vinyl, you'll get an instant download that includes a really cool bonus track called "Voyager."  And for anyone reading this thread, you can use the discout code COLLECTIVE to save 15% off your order.

We appreciate all the support!

John / SPARTAN

Considering this. Seems to be different from what i usual listen to.

To go back to the $9 for this on iTunes hypothetical situation, theyd obvisouly not sell tracks individually and make it and album only purchase for $4-5 or so. All in all I suppose we are paying for the wax and jacket. Just don't know at that price + shipping if its worth it for me. I do love spartan records. Would love to grab this locally if that was possible.

• 1 year later...