Teachers of the world, unite!

I know there's a few on here.  Just want to see what it's like in your neck of the woods.

Around here, it's test-test-test, data, budget cuts, and worrying about who will have a job next year.  Do you guys face heavy cuts like NYS (and particularly WNY)?  Do states that don't have Regents exams like we do focus so much on the testing?

What's the climate like where you are?  Here there's tons of negativity, a very heavy feeling of teachers-vs-administration combativeness, and the feeling that we aren't trustworthy as professionals.  Is it like that everywhere?  I hope not, but if it is, that can't last forever, can it?

my wife teaches at a fairly progressive charter school (non-unionized) here in pittsburgh, testing is fairly standard in every state, regardless of what its called (Regent, Westest, PSSA, ect.) thanks to no child left behind and its (lack of) success.  i'd say, though, there is a good bit of negativity nationwide in education because its the "easiest" to make cuts to in terms of state and federal level funding.  I think its especially found in strong unionized states.  I really hope things start to change, I know a lot of teachers who no longer teach because of how rigid the curriculum is, no real flexibility/creativity allowed... its really depressing.

My wife home schooled our kids this year because the tension in our elementary school was getting to be a bit much. Like you said it felt like the teachers and the admin weren't on the same page and they really watered down the gifted program. Doesn't help that our school has been a revolving door for principals in the last few years. I wish teachers had more freedom to actually teach instead of just get kids to memorize stuff for a test. It was obvious that some of the teachers weren't getting the support they needed.

Good teachers are so important, hopefully more people will start to realize that soon.

my wife teaches at a fairly progressive charter school (non-unionized) here in pittsburgh, testing is fairly standard in every state, regardless of what its called (Regent, Westest, PSSA, ect.) thanks to no child left behind and its (lack of) success. i'd say, though, there is a good bit of negativity nationwide in education because its the "easiest" to make cuts to in terms of state and federal level funding. I think its especially found in strong unionized states. I really hope things start to change, I know a lot of teachers who no longer teach because of how rigid the curriculum is, no real flexibility/creativity allowed... its really depressing.

This coming from a guy who lectured me in another thread about how great being a teacher is and unions are.

Thanks for the chuckle.

This is my eighth year of teaching in PA and I've almost completed my first year at a new district. I was laid off/furloughed from my last district due to the budget cuts of Corbett that started a few years ago. I was fortunate to find another job quickly but it's tough out there due to all the lay offs state wide. It's the younger teachers with less seniority that are on the chopping block first.

I think Mike is right, there's a lot of negativity in the profession right now. It didn't use to be that way...in PA, we're currently moving from the PSSA standardized test to the Keystones, another standardized test. Students typically use some type of testing for remediation as well. For our district, it's the Scantrons. Students who need extra remediation our often pulled from their regular class to focus on doing better on their tests, something I find extremely unfortunate, but a necessary evil due to the expectations placed on schools to perform higher and higher every year.

I think the negativity can subside with time once the budget for our state is remedied and teachers and students can come to terms with the fact that standardized testing isn't going away, just replaced with the "next best thing".

This coming from a guy who lectured me in another thread about how great being a teacher is and unions are.

Thanks for the chuckle.

being a teacher is great, and so are unions.  and i'll continue to support both.  Its not the unions fault OR teachers fault for the state and federal budget cuts.  Its not the teachers OR the unions fault for the required curriculum they are forced to follow to the t.  but hey, if you want to take what I said as anti-teacher or anti-union, go right ahead.  you're clearly a moron.

There's always something going on in this profession and always the possibility for negativity to build. I'm a bit lucky that at my school my principal, for the most part, believes in and supports his teachers. We don't always see eye to eye, but I can call him on my cell and say, "What the hell?" and we can have a conversation. A few years ago we had a negative wave of finger pointing, mostly because one grade level thought they were hot shit on a silver platter because of their test scores. They didn't bother to think about the teachers before them who laid all of the groundwork AND they were basically teaching to the test, which has become endemic.

For all the money I pay my union in dues I consider them worthless. We just keep on losing more and more. If I didn't have to pay dues, that would be an instant raise. They have never been there to support me and just seem like another cog in the political machine. I try not to dwell too much on my disgust for the union, because nothing really comes of it.

To battle the general negativity, I have learned to just back away. With those asshole teachers, I just ignored them and let them play themselves out. I quit being grade level leader for a while because there was no leadership at the leadership meetings, just a bunch of infighting and negativity. I've since rejoined and will work to change those aspects. Through the 12 years I have been teaching I have found it best to back away from the overly negative people and to let more things roll off my back. It's the kids who matter, so I tell fellow frustrated teachers to close the door and do what you need to do to show your students the path to success and self-confidence. There will always be those ups and downs. Ride it out.

My wife teaches up her (in the great white north) and in our province most people call teachers overpaid, lazy and under worked. There was threat of a strike late last year, and my co-workers has no problem what they though about it.

Next year will mark my wife's 7th year teaching, and she has yet to secure a full time permanent gig. She's been working full time as a long term occasional teacher for 6 years, and just last year got 2 permanent "lines". It's looking like she'll be getting another 2 this year, meaning she'll be 2/3 permanent fulltime.

Things are a lot different in the Canadian education system than the US I think.

The UK isn't much different! I'm in my 5th year of music teaching to 11-18 year olds and its a constant fight. Budget cuts means no or outdated equipment (for music technology courses - suicidal!) and short staffing. The public considers teachers as overpaid and lazy - always referring to the 'extensive' holidays when debating the issue!

The one thing which I love and the only reason why I still teach is the standing in front of a class and actually teaching! Everyday there is something which makes it worthwhile!

On the other plus side, I can now fix anything with a soldering iron!!

Not a teacher yet, but by this time next year I'll be graduated and (hopefully) have a job lined up.  Since I'm not actually employed as a teacher yet I don't really have a feel for how things are here except that standardized testing is more detrimental than it is helpful.  Basically they're just telling us that you have to make the best of it and take what you can.

being a teacher is great, and so are unions. and i'll continue to support both. Its not the unions fault OR teachers fault for the state and federal budget cuts. Its not the teachers OR the unions fault for the required curriculum they are forced to follow to the t. but hey, if you want to take what I said as anti-teacher or anti-union, go right ahead. you're clearly a moron.

Resorting to personal remarks. Class act here.

Re: unions:

I have a fantastic union in my district.  There's a support network behind every decision that's made and they're there to actively check the district if they try to push something that is against the contract.  I love my union.  I just wish I was a permanent member of it, but that's because of my in-and-out employment situation.

I agree with the point about being in front of the kids.  Every day, even in really negative ones like the last couple days, when I'm actually in the room with kids, I love everything about it.  I love when they ask questions above and beyond the curriculum, I love being able to give them advice, I love watching something new click for them.

And that's what makes it so discouraging.  I've never wanted to do anything except teach (besides coach, which is essentially teaching), and due to the shitty political climate and morons making budget decisions, I can't do it.  It's fucking terribly depressing and frustrating.

I've considered jumping careers many times as I'm 27 and can't have an unstable employment situation forever, but I can't bring myself to leave entirely.

I just graduated May 11th and am still looking for a job, but when I was doing my student teaching I noticed a lot of what you are talking about with Teachers Vs. Administration...I have heard a lot from my former classmates that it was like that in their schools too...

Standardized Testing is destroying the world...

At least that's what I think...

What do you want me to say? He is a moron.

Haha wow... I must have really gotten under your skin. It's okay, you can keep supporting unions. I understand. You're probably a poor performer who would lose your job if it weren't for a union. Unions are bad for business, for too many reasons to count. Shit, when it all comes down to it, unions are a business in their own right.

But you can enjoy a life of forever being stuck in the middle class while your wife continues to fart out more sheep to join the herd year after year.

Meanwhile, I'll be continuing to rise to the top in a Fortune 500 company that isn't plagued with a cancerous union to keep the REAL morons employed. I know that if I performed half as bad as most teachers in the US do, I'd be fired before I could open my mouth and give an explanation. And that's how it SHOULD be. Unions are part of the reason why we fall further and further behind in the global economy each year. We've got a bunch of lazy people employed, and we can't replace them with people who actually deserve the opportunity.

I'm sure you'll respond with another childish remark, and I look forward to it. We can disagree, and that's fine. However, at least I have enough integrity to not completely contradict myself. You ought to consider a career in politics.

Hmm, so much to address in that post.

First - with teachers, a child's performance has so much more to do with his or her home life.  The biggest predictor of a child's school performance is the parents' income, so how do you prove a teacher failed?  You can take the same teacher and switch schools, or even just periods, and they'll have dramatically different outcomes.  Is it the teacher's fault?

Second - good luck on your rise to riches.  Seriously.  But SES mobility is lower here than in dozens of other countries.  So much for the American Dream.

I got bored, it's 85* outside, I'm going out.

Hmm, so much to address in that post.

First - with teachers, a child's performance has so much more to do with his or her home life. The biggest predictor of a child's school performance is the parents' income, so how do you prove a teacher failed? You can take the same teacher and switch schools, or even just periods, and they'll have dramatically different outcomes. Is it the teacher's fault?

Second - good luck on your rise to riches. Seriously. But SES mobility is lower here than in dozens of other countries. So much for the American Dream.

I got bored, it's 85* outside, I'm going out.

It's not the teacher's fault. It's the system as a whole. If we didn't squander creativity so much, maybe kids would have more success.

And I realize the SES argument. I work in BPO, and I went into the field to earn a ticket out of here. One or two more promotions and I'll be in the Philippines or India.

Haha wow... I must have really gotten under your skin. It's okay, you can keep supporting unions. I understand. You're probably a poor performer who would lose your job if it weren't for a union. Unions are bad for business, for too many reasons to count. Shit, when it all comes down to it, unions are a business in their own right.

But you can enjoy a life of forever being stuck in the middle class while your wife continues to fart out more sheep to join the herd year after year.

Meanwhile, I'll be continuing to rise to the top in a Fortune 500 company that isn't plagued with a cancerous union to keep the REAL morons employed. I know that if I performed half as bad as most teachers in the US do, I'd be fired before I could open my mouth and give an explanation. And that's how it SHOULD be. Unions are part of the reason why we fall further and further behind in the global economy each year. We've got a bunch of lazy people employed, and we can't replace them with people who actually deserve the opportunity.

I'm sure you'll respond with another childish remark, and I look forward to it. We can disagree, and that's fine. However, at least I have enough integrity to not completely contradict myself. You ought to consider a career in politics.

I do not work for a union, or work in a union environment.  infact, I am getting my masters in employee labor relations, to work for management in union environments.  it may come as a shock to you, but some people dont have to make big bucks to be happy.  neither my wife or I care about being "middle class", and we are far from the only ones.  While she and I work with underpriviledged kids and minorities, trying to improve OUR community, what do you do?  work for a fortune 500 outsourcing company? 

so the only thing you can say negatively about unions is that they keep lazy people employed?  I do not disagree with poor performing teachers should be transitioned or fired, my wife and I talk about this with our other teacher friends all the time.  But I do not believe that, in this "industry" specifically, that any teacher can be fired at any time for any reason (the whole at-will employment thing you love).  The union protects the good, and unfortunately, the bad.  Poor classroom performance does not mean a teacher is lazy.  How do you identify what is "lazy"?  I like what MCM said, the fact that a childs performance has a lot to do with their home life, or lack of.  The supression of creativity in the classroom is not because of Teacher Unions, its because of Federal/State performance requirements, and the need for District Administrators to meet those goals to get State/Federal funding.  If there is anyone out there pushing for more freedom in the classroom for creativity, its the Union! 

For those who thinks unions are the only entity that protect "lazy" workers should come see how my job operates. No union protection but some many people who are lazy and don't do their job yet still have it. I've worked at other non-union places like that as well. Its about who you know and if you have management who is scared of change.

Kudos to anyone working and doing well with Fortune 500 companies, but as a reminder there were such people who said the same thing while people were working for Enron, WorldCom, Adelphia, Circuit City, Lehman Brothers, and Washington Mutual just to name a few. Shit could hit the fan at anytime and unless you're somewhere near the top, you're expendable at any time.