New Orleans

I moved here in 2005, eight months before Katrina. Ask away.

We're a small, big city (500K people). Ask your questions a bit more specific because there are many, many options. Like you say, go to a jazz club. Do you want to hear New Orleans traditional/dixieland jazz or cool/bop?

i'm also going in a few weeks for my bachelor party. It's going to be fun!

I recommend going to Mother's and Cafe Du Monde. 

I'll see you there, drinks on your best man.

I moved here in 2005, eight months before Katrina. Ask away.

We're a small, big city (500K people). Ask your questions a bit more specific because there are many, many options. Like you say, go to a jazz club. Do you want to hear New Orleans traditional/dixieland jazz or cool/bop?

I'd like to see a traditional show... but I'm also going to be with a gaggle of women I don't know very well so I don't really know if they'd be into that. Cool/bop would probably be more up their alley since it'd at least be a little more danceable (which I blindly assume all women prefer...). So maybe an option for both if you have one? 

Above jazz, I'd rather find a real traditional, old-school type of blues bar like you see in the movies. One of those smokey, dark bars where they have a revolving door of musicians coming on stage to play.. that type of place. Hopefully it actually exists.

I'm sure somethingvinyl would agree that Frenchmen Street is a must if you go. I've been numerous times and if you're looking for good music...you can't go wrong.

Thanks man!

I wish we were friends so I could at least meet you, too bad I hate your guts (just kidding, I don't know if we've ever interacted on the boards):

I'll just sort of give you a rundown of things:

Jazz

In case you didn't know, jazz was born here. Lots of argument by jazz fans in Chicago and New York. Read about the ragtime cornetist Buddy Bolden and you will know. As far as great places to go:

Preservation Hall - You pay $20 and stand, opens at 8pm closes at 11pm. They don't sell drinks or food. But what you get is to see a band comprised of 50-60 year old men playing the best in traditional jazz (and they have been for their entire lives). It's a place both locals and tourists love. http://www.preservationhall.com/hall/index.aspx / 726 St Peter St  New Orleans, LA 70116

Snug Harbor - This is the joint, like Tamubro said, on Frenchmen St. It has a dining area and a jazz club and a bar. If nobody famous is playing you can get a seat easily, but it seems better to get tickets ahead of time on their website because it's small. They have two shows a night. This is the best club to hear non-dixieland jazz but even locals play it. http://www.snugjazz.com / 626 Frenchmen St

The Spotted Cat - This is a hole-in-wall type place and it's kind of small. But the drinks are cheap and they always get a variety of jazz/blues/latin bands. It leans a little more traditional jazz but it gets just about all local musicians. If you can see Washboard Chaz, he's a great guy. And plays the hell out of a washboard. http://www.spottedcatmusicclub.com / 623 Frenchmen Street

DBA - This place is on the corner of Frenchmen and Decatur, basically at the beginning of the French Quarter. I don't know much about it, but I think I saw some rap there once. I've heard it called really hip but not trendy, they get live music all the time.

Vaughn's Lounge: This is off the normal trek, in the Bywater community. Across the Industrial Canal is the famous 9th Ward. There's a local guy named Kermit Ruffins, it's where he's played every Thursday night for years and years. He started out in local brass bands. He's sort of the local ambassador of our city. I think most don't know who he is outside of the area but was featured all over HBO show Treme. His club is great, small, but cheap drinks. Not in a great area but it's enough of a touristy spot (which is to say, mostly locals go there) that they keep people safe. 800 Lesseps Street / http://www.yelp.com/biz/vaughans-lounge-new-orleans

That's what I can recommend. Do a google search of these places and look at reviews.

Other things to do:

Pat O'Brien's - The original piano bar famous for a drink called the Hurricane, it's a really fun atmosphere. It's on St. Peter near Preservation Hall. If you want to impress your friends, eat at the Gumbo Shop (best gumbo in the city and local cuisine) just a few blocks up on St. Peter. Then catch the 8:00 PM show at Preservation Hall. Then go drink and sing-a-long at Pat O's until you drop dead.

Cafe Du Monde - It has coffee and beignets. I don't like either. It's a neat place to go to once but that's my opinion.

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 3:51 PM, scottheisel said:

Headed to NOLA next month for WrestleMania and a few days afterward, would love to know where the good record stores are and any super-cool nature things worth doing. Also, anyone ever been to the Museum Of Death down there? I'm intrigued by it.

Was just down there this past week. It’s also my hometown. For records go to sisters in Christ or Euclid. I also went to the museum of death this past week and it was pretty damn cool. I’d recommend it. Not much nature to do down there. 

18 hours ago, The Butcha said:

Was just down there this past week. It’s also my hometown. For records go to sisters in Christ or Euclid. I also went to the museum of death this past week and it was pretty damn cool. I’d recommend it. Not much nature to do down there. 

Thanks for the recommendations!

New Orleans is dirty and disgusting people every where. I have been there with my Dad. Live about an hour away from there. Sight seeing is kind of cool but the food is all spicey every where and its not my kind of town. Most adults love it though for Mardi Gras cause all the chicks flash there you know what's for beads. I might go back someday but not some thing i am interested in as of now.