Does anybody have a good way of keeping track of all the things they buy/trade?

As I age, I've become a bit more OCD about things. I like to track where I get records, where I buy, who I trade with, how much I spend, if I sell it how much I make, etc. I really like documenting the process.

I recall taking Microsoft Office class in college. I had to learn Excel and Access. Now I forget anything I know about it. I had an Excel doc that someone made for me where I listed the record, what I paid, sold, got in a trade but my PC died earlier this year and I lost the document. Anybody keep track of all their buying/selling/trading?

I don't get too in-depth with it but I keep my receipts in the brown paper bags that the local record store sells their records in and I keep my records in a deadformat list. Once my collection grows a bit more it'll give me a reason to make an info-graphic for it. That'll be a more visual and interesting way to keep track of what I have, not necessarily where I got it or how much I paid for it though. 

i keep track of everything in an excel spreadsheet. i keep it sorted chronologically by purchase/trade date, and if i sell or trade away an item i i move it to a new sheet with items i no longer own. i guess it's my way of remembering what i once had and when. i also keep track of what i paid for each item plus all the usual stuff (color, press, label, etc.). i can email you mine and you can reformat/rearrange it however you like, but at least it's a template.

i wish i kept track of things better, i got an order in today that i forgot I had ordered and when i opened it I realized i bought a record i already had

but if anyone is looking for a copy of Chuck Ragans "Covering Ground" never played ill sell it for 13ppd, and ill use the money to pay some dog bills 

i keep track of everything in an excel spreadsheet. i keep it sorted chronologically by purchase/trade date, and if i sell or trade away an item i i move it to a new sheet with items i no longer own. i guess it's my way of remembering what i once had and when. i also keep track of what i paid for each item plus all the usual stuff (color, press, label, etc.).

This. I do this for every media/electronics/memorabilia related purchase. So basically if it's not food or clothes, it's on a spreadsheet.

i keep track of everything in an excel spreadsheet. i keep it sorted chronologically by purchase/trade date, and if i sell or trade away an item i i move it to a new sheet with items i no longer own. i guess it's my way of remembering what i once had and when. i also keep track of what i paid for each item plus all the usual stuff (color, press, label, etc.). i can email you mine and you can reformat/rearrange it however you like, but at least it's a template.

yeah , I do the same thing in google docs. I have tabs labeled Haves, Wants and Sold. I'd be willing to send it to you as well if you're interested.

I have 2 google spreadsheets as well. The first one is for anything I buy/sell on here, who it was with, etc. The other one is for everything I've bought this year and the shipping costs and everything, so I can see how much I spent on records this year.

Good idea, I've just added a year and shipping column so that I can keep track better

This would be great. Sent you a PM.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

• 2 months later...

cdpedia

i catalogue my mp3/cd/vinyl and it allows you to put in cost, where purchased, color, etc.

cost 18 $$ but for me well worth it, also there is an ios app that can sync so you can view your collection on your phone.  also allows you to mark items as lent and who they were lent to, can create 'sold' lists, very user friendly

For inbound I just keep a .txt document of anything I've got my eye on, usually take note of release date or pre-order date if there is one. Then if I place an order I move it down to that section and mark an estimated shipping date or just release date if it doesn't specify, and keep them in order. Then when I get a shipping notification I make sure to move that item to the bottom, again, in order, so I know when to be on the lookout for it. Then when it comes in I move it down to the 3rd, bottom group, which is stuff that has arrived and check it off. That way I don't lose track of any incoming packages. It's funny when you're expecting a few orders around the same time and something from the USA is $25 shipping and takes 3 weeks and your order from the UK is $3 shipping and arrives in a few days. Royal Mail from the UK usually hits it out of the park. It also helps you keep a pulse on how the mail system tends to work.

For selling records I've got a record of paypal transactions, but I also hold on to emails of sales I've made, and I keep all my shipping receipts together, just as a precaution, in case a dispute ever arises. So far, so good!