How is FLAC lossless when it's smaller than a WAV file?

I've been trying to figure this question out. I simply don't understand the math/science/physics behind this. A 24/96 wav file is uncompressed, and thus preferred for pressing vinyl. A FLAC file can also be 24bit but isn't it compressed in some kind of way in order to reduce the file size, and doesn't that mean it's not actually lossless because it technically had to lose something in order to have a smaller file size?

Please educate me. 

flac is a compressed version of wav files. it takes more CPU power to read/process flac than it does for a wav file. Computers are fast enough these days where that CPU power consumption difference is very negligible. 

It's like playing music from a zip version vs the extracted version. 

edit: more info here: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WAV-FLAC.htm

So that brings me to my follow on question. If I were to press a record from a FLAC file, would it be inferior to the 24 bit .wav file? Or is the sound difference going to be negligible? I'm planning on pressing a one off record of one of my buddies (Mike Dunn and the Kings of New England), and I have the FLAC files for the album, but I don't have the 24bit masters from him. Based on your opinions, is it going to make any difference in the sound quality? 

Truth be told it's very difficult to distinguish between a well mastered 16-bit or 24-bit source, wav or flac.  What is really easy to tell is poorly mastered for the medium: vinyl LPs.  

If the recording has brickwall filtering aka hard limiting (poor sound), no de-essing (sibilance) or a non-monaural bass track (tracking problems), those will cause all sorts of problems sound-wise.

Suffice it to say- a 24-bit master optimized for CD will sound worse than a 16-bit master optimized for LP.

maybe have a look here for some tips:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/88683-vinyl-mastering-guidelines.html