Discogs/Paypal, sort-of-sketchy transaction, not sure whether to refund or ship.

Ship or Refund?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Ship or Refund?

• Ship
    • Ship w/ tracking
    • Refund

Okay so I'm leaning toward refunding a transaction, dude bought a rare, pretty expensive record through Discogs, Signed up same day he bought it, checked out w/o even asking a shipping price and then was fine w/ the $17 int'l cost. I invoiced him, and he said he tried to pay but he was unable, I've bought a bit off Discogs, but not sold much yet, so I'm not sure if this can actually happen, but it never happened to me when buying.

But just in case I sent another invoice, he said the same thing plus he called paypal and that they told him I'd have to invoice him manually, so I did this through pp and he said he couldn't pay cause his transaction was flagged, so he called pp again, they told him the transaction was flagged at random, not cause there was anything wrong with either account.

I said forget the invoice just use 'send money' and make sure to send as payment for goods and I would cover the fees. The money appeared but he sent it as a gift, and said via email that's the only way it would work and asked me to cancel the invoice I'd sent.

Is this even possible? Dude had no feedback so I was thinking of chipping an extra $4 just to get tracking but I don't think tracking is even any good if he claims unauthorized transaction. I do *not* want to be out the record and the money. Thinking of just refunding the guy, so I sent him an email explaining that I might have to issue a refund because paying as a gift does not provide seller protection.

He sent it as a gift, dude obviously wants the record. He has absolutely no recourse for any action he takes once you send it.

Also, if you even decided to just keep the money, he couldn't do jack about it. Don't do that though, that's a cunt move. And you don't want to be a cunt

Could be wrong, but I think even though there is no buyer protection for him and he can't make the 45-day limit paypal claim, I believe he can claim to paypal that it was an unauthorized transaction and since there is also no seller protection for me, get a refund.

If that is not the case, then there is no question. I should call paypal tomorrow and ask them.

im an admin on blink 182 message board and this dude that posted on their sold a giant blink bunny to a guy in belgium, the guy sent him the money via gift on paypal, he sent the bunny, and then the guy got his money back somehow, even though it was sent as a gift.

so yeah...theres def still ways you can be scammed. he got scammed out of like $800.

http://blink-182online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39762-update-blink-bunny-has-been-purchased/page-30

ts the chargeback scam.

Buyer buys item, buyer gets item, buyer tells bank item was bought with stolen credit card or somesuch - basically without the cardholder's permission, bank reverses payment, paypal gets money back from payment from seller, buyer gets items for nothing, seller fumes with impotent rage.

Its in paypal's terms and conditions that the seller is liable for the buyer not using a stolen credit card. Ridiculous I know.

You wont get the money back.

im an admin on blink 182 message board and this dude that posted on their sold a giant blink bunny to a guy in belgium, the guy sent him the money via gift on paypal, he sent the bunny, and then the guy got his money back somehow, even though it was sent as a gift.

so yeah...theres def still ways you can be scammed. he got scammed out of like $800.

http://blink-182online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39762-update-blink-bunny-has-been-purchased/page-30

Wow.

Good to know!

"Buyer buys item, buyer gets item, buyer tells bank item was bought with stolen credit card or somesuch - basically without the cardholder's permission, bank reverses payment, paypal gets money back from payment from seller, buyer gets items for nothing, seller fumes with impotent rage."

I own a retro video game store on eBay and this happened to me :( I sold a game for $150 and about 3 months afterwards paypal called me and informed me that the game had been purchased by someone using a stolen credit card.

HOWEVER, had i sent the item with sign-on-arrival registered post, i would've been able to keep the funds as i had proof that it had been sent by me and arrived at the other end, and been signed for.

Unforunately i sent it with regular tracking without signature, so i didnt, and i was out of pocket $150.

Sucks, but i've learnt a lesson, albeit the hard way!

Well it's Canada to USA so if I never sold int'l I'd be cutting my sales in half, easily.

Thanks for the responses guys, very helpful. What Toki said, that's what I was afraid of... I kept wondering why 1 person was having so much trouble just paying an invoice. I was thinking either paypal flagged their account, or possibly there was some kind of loophole they are looking to exploit.

i will say in the buyers defense, paypal has caused me crazy problems with paying for simple transactions and invoices before.

tied to send money, wouldnt let me. had person send me an invoice, couldn't pay it. wanted to check past transaction, account locked out...

one of the worst was having my account locked until I gave the answer to whatever stupid question I chose 7 or 8 years ago and had never again gave a second thought too.  No matter how many ways I tried to enter the name of my first grade teacher, I could not send a simple payment!  After spending a couple days of email and then getting my phone call bumped up to supervisor they said they would send me a link to completely reset my account so I could use it.  Link never came.  All to send $25 bucks (to myself none the less).  

A few months later I tied to use the account to pay an online retailer and worked with no problems.  Some funky shit there sometimes.

that being said, i was one of the 'refund the money' voters... simply because I of it being hard to be covered due to lack of good overseas tracking methods!

Got off the horn w/ paypal, they told me it could be any number of reasons why he was unable to pay the invoice, but it could be that they hadn't used their account for a year. Also found out it's more risky for the buyer to pay as a gift, but they still suggested sending it with tracking so that I have proof I sent it, if I decide not to refund it. They said that if he makes a claim it will automatically be closed in the seller's favour. If they pay using a credit card through paypal they can make the claim through their credit card company, though. And I think the way they get their money back is by using the credit card and then after they receive the item, they claim the card had been stolen, hence the unauthorized transaction thing.

So now I'm leaning more towards sending the record but going deluxe on tracking/delivery confirmation/signature. At least since he paid as a gift there's an extra couple bucks on my end to put towards shipping via a tracked method, and this way it should get there a bit faster to make up for the hold-up.

To qualify for seller protection yeah. But he has no buyer protection either from sending as a gift. Oh wait... yeah you mean the address I'm shipping the record to will match his cc billing address and that will prove that it was authorized? I guess it would. So he still wanted me to send it, rather than a refund, so I decided I'm going to send it with delivery confirmation, so I'll have proof that I sent it. I'll also save the emails in case they could come in handy if problems arise, but I think it will be cool, dude seems to really just want the record.