Watches (The Thread)

If you're only going to use it for two weeks, why not just buy the cheapest Casio you cn find? It'll save you money that you could use toward your vacation fun, and it'll beep twice on the hour, reminding you of your wise frugality. Have fun on vacation, man.

If you are only going to use it for this vacation do this. If not get a Movado (the one I posted earlier is the Saphire? maybe)

i don't know what's trendy and what isn't when it comes to watches (so i don't know if this will get me made fun of) but my girlfriend got me a nixon for my birthday

A049-1113-view1.jpg

i'm a fan of the simplicity (she got me the one pictured above) but they have a wide variety at all price ranges: http://www.nixon.com/mens/watches/

do you wear them with your cargo shorts or your dockers? :P

skagen233xltmbmenswatch-1.jpg

Cannot go wrong with a Skagen

Agreed, Skagens are very nice timepieces.

I'm torn on Nixon, though. I think they are aesthetically pleasing, but I've heard the quality is suspect. Lots of good comments in this thread though, maybe I'll give em another shot and get one. I'm also intrigued with the throne watch recommendation.

Agreed, Skagens are very nice timepieces.

I'm torn on Nixon, though. I think they are aesthetically pleasing, but I've heard the quality is suspect. Lots of good comments in this thread though, maybe I'll give em another shot and get one. I'm also intrigued with the throne watch recommendation.

Same here. I really want to get one. Actually looking for a casual watch as well as a more formal one. Ive looked at a bunch of Nixon but just havent pulled the trigger.

There are quite a few Nixons that were designed with the smaller wrist in mind. I have tiny little girl wrists and own quite a few Nixons with average sized faces.

As far as quality goes, Nixon are actually regarded as one of the best manufactured watches within their price range and key clientele (vs fossil, vestalle, etc). Also, they offer a really kick ass warranty and their customer service is stellar. I sold them bad boys for years and still stick by them.

There are quite a few Nixons that were designed with the smaller wrist in mind. I have tiny little girl wrists and own quite a few Nixons with average sized faces.

As far as quality goes, Nixon are actually regarded as one of the best manufactured watches within their price range and key clientele (vs fossil, vestalle, etc). Also, they offer a really kick ass warranty and their customer service is stellar. I sold them bad boys for years and still stick by them.

Cool man thanks for the insight. What are some brick and mortar stores that sell them? I'm sure I can find a better price online, but I definitely want to pick out a model in person. I have girl wrists too :)

Which models did/do you have?

Cool man thanks for the insight. What are some brick and mortar stores that sell them? I'm sure I can find a better price online, but I definitely want to pick out a model in person. I have girl wrists too :)

Depending on what stores are available to you, I've seen them in Ron Jon, PacSun, Nordstrom, Macy's. I'm sure Urban Outfitters carries them as well. And it's also good to know I'm not the only one with girl wrists. Haha

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and I don't want to carry around my phone (purposely going stealth). I need a watch but have no idea what is cool these days. Thinking about hitting up CCS.com but since VC is rotten with savvy and stylish users I figured I'd ask for some opinions. I like modern/minimalist devices but I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg.

I would suggest thinking of functionality before style. For example, I don't buy watches that don't have the date on them any more, because I find it actually comes into convenience more often than not. Do you want a timer? An alarm?

If you don't care about wearing it after the trip, go to Target and you can find a watch that will work for $20 and you don't have to worry about losing it or scratching it. At my Valet job I have a watch I bought at Target because I didn't wanna worry about scratching it up or whatever, and believe it or not people comment on it all the time, asking what kind it is. So believe it or not even at $20 I found one that looks good! I've had the thing for over a year now, it still looks brand new, and it hasn't steered me wrong!

If you want a fancy watch, I have several Nixons simply because I love how they look, and while people will swear by them, I've found they kinda have to be babied. The crystal faces scratch easy, the pins when reseting the time have come out, and they're Japanese movement for the most part, even that big fancy gold 51-30. 

I am glad we have a thread on watches though, I've definitely been getting into them more and more.