Seeking Help Choosing Speakers...(PSB, Focal, Wharfedale)

Epic 2's came in on Friday and wow, they are definitely a nice looking speaker. Nice touch to my living room. Although I feel like im definitely going to need a bigger apartment to get the most out of them, for half off retail, i dont think you can go wrong at that price point.

I still need to let my ears be the judge but I am glad I posted here because I had never even heard of these speakers. Thanks again slinch.

^saviorself^

I know not how to copy/paste on my phone.

Im loving the marantz pm5004. Im still learning though. My previous gear has been used off craigslist. So with my new amp, klipsch wb14 (admittedly I bought these for the rosewood? finish.) Just beautiful. But they sound great to me. Im currently listening to ratm,s first album and wow! Dvds sound awesome too. Rewatched rocky horror/todd sweeney/and the matrix and was in awe.

The computer sound needs some help as I have no dac and a crappy external sound card. All in due time I guess.

Hey man, dumb question, but the speakers or receiver didnt come with any speaker cables. Do I just pick up any kind of dual RCA cables?

RCA cables won't do you any good, speakers use a different type of connectors. :)

For a cheap option, go with BJC Ten White: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/

You don't need any termination (connectors), you can just use bare wire. Not as handy if you exchange equipment often (for comparisons and the like), but inexpensive and sonically no inferior (even better actually than using cheap connectors).

Okay so I got the speakers and amp hooked up and the sound is amazing. There is plenty of bass and clarity. So far so good, the Yamaha is a good match with the Epic 2's.

But now I have a different problem. I literally got my turntable two weeks ago, but I noticed that the platter is starting to wobble. At first I thought it was just one or two of my records, but all of them? It isnt to drastic of a wobble, but enough where I can hear it causing some scratchiness whenever the high point of the wobble comes around and the tonearm raises with it on a quiet part of a record.

Needledoctor said this was within spec, but i really dont get how its supposed to do that. Maybe my platter is defective, or the spindle is a little off center but if I return it for another 300pf he basically said Im stuck with it if it has the same problem. So thats kinda making me hesitant and making me just want to get my money back and look around for something else.

For a cheap option, go with BJC Ten White: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/

You don't need any termination (connectors), you can just use bare wire. Not as handy if you exchange equipment often (for comparisons and the like), but inexpensive and sonically no inferior (even better actually than using cheap connectors).

I would go with the pin termination over raw. You can use the pin on pretty much any kind type of connection (5 way binding post, spring clip, etc).

Also be sure to leave yourself a little extra room to play with the length of the cable. I got the BJC Ten White and measured my distance two times. When the cables arrived and I plugged everything up, it was a little shorter than I thought. The thickness and twisting of the wire housing took a few inches off the usable length.

Aside from that, those BJCs are awesome.

If it's on the bottom probably not, but otherwise they should take them back without hesitation. You didn't buy them second hand or a demo model slightly used. You bought them brand new so they should arrive brand new.

Though if it's really a very tiny mark it's debatable wether it's worth the hassle. If you're like me, that dent will haunt you everytime you look at your speakers :)

Didn't listen. Need cables to hook them up and even if I had them, still have a weak receiver. This was just step one in upgrading my system. Wouldn't feel comfortable giving any kinda rating yet.

Return process to music direct was pretty easy. No hard time about returns. Shit happens.

Im running them through a yamaha as500 and they sound fantastic. Maybe I could use a better amplifier but to my ears they sound perfect. Balanced sound with some pretty decent bass response.

^lebowski

Did u get to hear em before sending back? These are on my shortlist of speakers to get next and was wondering what u and anyone else thinks of them.

Did you go with the BJ Ten White Unterminated as suggested? Just wondering. Not sure how the unterminated cable hooks up to those speakers (before I sent mine back I noticed it had RCA - Like termination connections, but terminated cables get expensive quick. Hope that makes sense. Basically, just how did you connect them? What length of cable did you go with?

I didnt, I actually got cheap ass speaker wire from radio shack because I was too eager to listen to music haha.

I will be placing an order for those on payday though. Im going to go with the ones with the terminated ends. I figure those would be a more secure connection than loose wire. But to answer your question, I just twisted the end of the speaker wire, loosened the terminals on the back of the speaker, place speaker wire under terminal and tighten.

Did you go with the BJ Ten White Unterminated as suggested? Just wondering. Not sure how the unterminated cable hooks up to those speakers (before I sent mine back I noticed it had RCA - Like termination connections, but terminated cables get expensive quick. Hope that makes sense. Basically, just how did you connect them? What length of cable did you go with?

Music Direct just called me asking about the box that I sent my Epos Epic 2s back to them in (for previously mentioned dent).

Short of it looks like this -- Fedex effed up my package, repacked it into a different box and sent it to me. I didn't know. It looked a little weird to me (box felt flimsy and was too big for the speakers) but whatever, I thought a box was a box and just focused on speakers. When I returned them in this new box, Music Direct caught it.

Pretty shitty of FedEx. I mean, shit happens. I wouldn't have been really pissed if they had just admitted they jacked up my package, ate the cost, shipped it back to MD, and told them to send a new pair. Repackaging it and trying to pass it off as if nothing happened (even though the speakers were obviously dented and could have been seen from a quick visual inspection) is bullshit.