Seeking Help Choosing Speakers...(PSB, Focal, Wharfedale)

Music Direct just called me asking about the box that I sent my Epos Epic 2s back to them in (for previously mentioned dent).

Short of it looks like this -- Fedex effed up my package, repacked it into a different box and sent it to me. I didn't know. It looked a little weird to me (box felt flimsy and was too big for the speakers) but whatever, I thought a box was a box and just focused on speakers. When I returned them in this new box, Music Direct caught it.

Pretty shitty of FedEx. I mean, shit happens. I wouldn't have been really pissed if they had just admitted they jacked up my package, ate the cost, shipped it back to MD, and told them to send a new pair. Repackaging it and trying to pass it off as if nothing happened (even though the speakers were obviously dented and could have been seen from a quick visual inspection) is bullshit.

Are they still letting you return them?

Yeah. Music Direct has been very cool about the whole thing. They are just asking me to do a couple things so that they can go to FedEx and say "look, you guys damaged this package and tried to hide it. This isn't how we sent it."

That's good. I don't know why FedEx did that. Shady mobe on their part. My UPS driver always fills out paper work right away when I receive a damaged box, or he at least wants me to open it to make sure everything is fine.

Slinch -- what do you think about Bi-amping speakers? Looking into a pair of B&Ws or DefTechs and a Denon InCommand or Pioneer Elite receiver. I've only been able to audition the speakers and receivers in a bi-amp set up. Will it make a big difference if I don't hook them up that way? I've read different opinions on the subject and interested to hear what you think.

Well first off, if you're looking to get a multichannel receiver simply for the option of bi-amping (without the intention of using it for surround sound), you're taking a step back in sound quality, regardless of bi-amping or not. Unless you're planning on multiplying your budget by four, in which case you can just get a better integrated instead.

Bi-amping does help, especially with power hungry speakers driven by underpowered amps/receivers. But the sole power isn't the only factor determining the end result, not even the most important one. 

I want to eventually run surround sound, but going to start with a pair of floor standings and an AVR. Also really want to run digital audio out of my TV for movies/TV shows. Basically building a new system from scratch.

My ideal set up is going to be a nice integrated amp powering the fronts and running HT bypass into the AVR for the rest of the 5.1. I guess for now I would be referring bi-wiring from the receiver rather than bi-amping

Well technically that would be bi-amping. A 7.1 AVR has 7 separate power amplifiers inside the box, so If you take two of these channels for each speaker (so 4 in total for the front pair), that is proper bi-amping. Theoretically (depending on the receiver architecture) you get twice the power for each speaker. With bi-wiring you'd just use one channel per speaker, but run two speaker wires to avoid the jumpers on speaker terminals. More a convenience than an actual improvement if you ask me.

Wow, that's a whole different story then. I assumed that you're looking for a receiver in the price range of the PM5004 you're selling. But those beasts you've mentioned are in a different league really.

Deciding between the two should boil down to what features you need, though I'd say sound-wise the SR7007 has the edge. Keep also in mind that the new SR line is coming soon and from what I've read the SR7008 is a huge improvement.

Thanks for the advice! I thought about preordering the SR7008 but assumed the difference between that and the 7007 would be minimal. The price difference that I can get them for isn't that big of a jump, so I'll highly consider the 7008 since I was leaning toward the Marantz anyway. Thanks again

Just got my Epic 2s over the weekend. Wow. I have them hooked up to an old Carver HR-722 receiver for the time being, and they sound absolutely incredible. I'm debating between a couple amps (pm6004, a-s500) or going with the Marantz sr7007 (if I feel like spending the money) within a couple weeks. I'm really considering the Outlaw 2150 receiver as well. I may even keep the Carver since the sound is already such an improvement over my old setup. I've been messaging Slinch (thanks for all your help) and have gotten a lot of really great recommendations. Just curious what everyone else thinks.

Just got my Epic 2s over the weekend. Wow. I have them hooked up to an old Carver HR-722 receiver for the time being, and they sound absolutely incredible. I'm debating between a couple amps (pm6004, a-s500) or going with the Marantz sr7007 (if I feel like spending the money) within a couple weeks. I'm really considering the Outlaw 2150 receiver as well. I may even keep the Carver since the sound is already such an improvement over my old setup. I've been messaging Slinch (thanks for all your help) and have gotten a lot of really great recommendations. Just curious what everyone else thinks.

not a huge savings or anything but Outlaw is running a sale on the 2150 ($50 off) through 7/31.

So after some testing and auditioning, I've decided to go with the SR6008. In 2-channel pure direct mode with the speakers I'm looking into, there was no discernible difference between that and the 7008 for me. There's no way I'd ever run 11 or even 9 channels, no need for a third HDMI output (dont even need the second one). The difference in power output is minimal as well, and I don't think has a noticeable effect on the speakers I want. Really looking forward to bringing it home and setting it up :)

the 10.2 is addressed on the first page.

I don't really see how an Epic 1 is in budget but an Epic 2 is out. Are you looking at list price? The clearance prices on MD are $300 and $400. I realize hundred dollar bills don't grow on trees but maybe you should just put it on a credit card, get the better speakers, and scrimp somewhere else to pay it off. I don't know that much about Epic 1s but I don't really need to. The Epic 2 is getting really high praise and is marginally more expensive. Don't compromise.

the 10.2 is addressed on the first page.

I don't really see how an Epic 1 is in budget but an Epic 2 is out. Are you looking at list price? The clearance prices on MD are $300 and $400. I realize hundred dollar bills don't grow on trees but maybe you should just put it on a credit card, get the better speakers, and scrimp somewhere else to pay it off. I don't know that much about Epic 1s but I don't really need to. The Epic 2 is getting really high praise and is marginally more expensive. Don't compromise.

I was asking not just due to the price difference, one other reason is I wonder how they compared since they seem significantly smaller.  $100 is much of a difference and based on what I've heard of the Epic 2's seems like I'd be happy forking the extra over. I was mostly asking due to its size and ability to be close to a wall. 

I was asking not just due to the price difference, one other reason is I wonder how they compared since they seem significantly smaller.  $100 is much of a difference and based on what I've heard of the Epic 2's seems like I'd be happy forking the extra over. I was mostly asking due to its size and ability to be close to a wall. 

according to the specs the minimum distance to the wall is the same accross all 3 Epic models (10 cm or 4" from the wall).

Size does not seem to be vastly different.  Epic 2 is 4.2" taller x 1.1" wider x1.3" deeper.  So, the footprint is similar.

according to the specs the minimum distance to the wall is the same accross all 3 Epic models (10 cm or 4" from the wall).

Size does not seem to be vastly different.  Epic 2 is 4.2" taller x 1.1" wider x1.3" deeper.  So, the footprint is similar.

I guess that makes it bit clearer, I was trying to find the minimum distance thing but didn't have much luck.  Thanks for providing that.  I'll probably be grabbing Epic 2's today at some point.  Making them 2/3rds of the way done on building my setup.

I guess that makes it bit clearer, I was trying to find the minimum distance thing but didn't have much luck. Thanks for providing that. I'll probably be grabbing Epic 2's today at some point. Making them 2/3rds of the way done on building my setup.

Nice. I am considering picking up the Epic 2s in cherry.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was planning on ordering the Epic 2's from Music Direct but they don't ship to Canada. Luckily I found a place in Plentywood, MT that I'm able to ship them to and then drive across the border and pick them up. Ordering them later tonight I think!

Do it!  They're great speakers!

• 1 month later...