Posted this same question on reddit, and was told it's an "outgassing" issue. 

I have Worship and Tribute by Glassjaw on vinyl and it seems the plastic insert has melted onto the vinyl leaving a thin residue that results in thick white noise when I pop it onto my turntable.  It is only on the side that the plastic was touching; the side that the paperboard was touching is pristine. 

Record and sleeve (hard to show in a picture, it looks a little blotchy in areas): http://imgur.com/a/i4GUy

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!

In for the same problem. I bought it from another VCer and he said it was NM. Turns out only Side 2 is NM while the the side that was touching the PVC sleeve is just shot to shit. I had read this was a specific problem with the packaging but I would have preferred if he let me know beforehand.

Didnt bother me that much though cause this is one of my favorite records of all time and I feel like there are only few people out there who would store it outside of the sleeve to avoid this issue.

In for the same problem. I bought it from another VCer and he said it was NM. Turns out only Side 2 is NM while the the side that was touching the PVC sleeve is just shot to shit. I had read this was a specific problem with the packaging but I would have preferred if he let me know beforehand.

Didnt bother me that much though cause this is one of my favorite records of all time and I feel like there are only few people out there who would store it outside of the sleeve to avoid this issue.

He probably didn't know and rated it NM since he never played it.

No because I said something to him when I got it and got a "oh yeah forgot to mention that".

What a dick.  I feel bad for you, the guy I bought mine from essentially said the same thing but I had gotten the album for about $18 so I decided to just hold onto it.  Out of the 1000 or so of these that were pressed (assuming you have the same white pressing that I do) I'm sure many others had the issue like you said and SOMEONE has to have fixed it.  Hypothetically it's two different materials and one should be able to be separated from it.... or maybe I'm too optimistic. 

What a dick.  I feel bad for you, the guy I bought mine from essentially said the same thing but I had gotten the album for about $18 so I decided to just hold onto it.  Out of the 1000 or so of these that were pressed (assuming you have the same white pressing that I do) I'm sure many others had the issue like you said and SOMEONE has to have fixed it.  Hypothetically it's two different materials and one should be able to be separated from it.... or maybe I'm too optimistic. 

Its all good because its not like I paid anything like ebay prices and honestly, I prefer the second half of the album anyway. But yeah hopefully SOMEONE has been able to fix it, otherwise Im going to be on the lookout for a black copy pretty soon

did these affected records not have dust sleeves? i'm worried about my records being affected by the heat even further now

The issue with these records is that the packaging had no dust sleeve at all.  It had a paperboard insert on one side of the record and on the other side a clear plastic film which left residue on that side of the record.  My pictures in my intial post should show what I mean.  Most albums aren't packaged like this so you shouldn't have much to worry about as far as I know. 

The issue with these records is that the packaging had no dust sleeve at all.  It had a paperboard insert on one side of the record and on the other side a clear plastic film which left residue on that side of the record.  My pictures in my intial post should show what I mean.  Most albums aren't packaged like this so you shouldn't have much to worry about as far as I know. 

ah, I see. I was on mobile and couldn't see a picture. I got you now.

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-1-5-round-bottom-lp-sleeves-pack-of-50-p/312ncir.htm

Keep your record in this inner sleeve to keep the PVC from outgassing on the the record.  I use one on my Worship & Tribute, and it works great.  It can be a little annoying getting it to fit though.

• 6 months later...

Acetone works great on removing PVC green slime on coins that is hasn't eaten into yet, and without changing the patina. (lifetime hobbyist)

Tried it on slimed vinyl = ruined vinyl. Already ruined anyways, so nothing to lose (couple of new coasters after cutting/sanding.

Wood glue on slimed records? I didn't try it so I can't say it doesn't work, but I'm skeptical.

Everybody is so willing to use wood glue to clean their records with wood glue but for some reason people don't want to see if it removes the outgassing. I would try it but I've never done it and I don't have any glue at all. Somebody just try it so we can rule it out as a fix.