The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

Sup 'yall

I made a website since I moved to Cincinnati and need to find freelance work. Check it out www.jcaponephoto.com

Might I suggest diffusing/bouncing your light source when using flash, as well as familiarizing yourself with how to balance flash with daylight when doing outdoor portraits.

Also, what do you use for post processing?

Might I suggest diffusing/bouncing your light source when using flash, as well as familiarizing yourself with how to balance flash with daylight when doing outdoor portraits.

Also, what do you use for post processing?

My flash typically is diffused using an umbrella, softbox or a dome/bounce card on an sb-800. Are there photos you feel are too harsh/unbalanced? Most of my outdoor stuff I use reflectors and a light fill flash for under the eyes and chin. I also personally like to add warmth (red/yellow) to portraits if thats what you mean.

I use photoshop. 

My flash typically is diffused using an umbrella, softbox or a dome/bounce card on an sb-800. Are there photos you feel are too harsh/unbalanced? Most of my outdoor stuff I use reflectors and a light fill flash for under the eyes and chin. I also personally like to add warmth (red/yellow) to portraits if thats what you mean.

I use photoshop. 

There were a few harsh ones I saw. What I was saying was strightly light-related, nothing to do with color balance.

In Photoshop, do you use filters or anything? Or do you just tweak highs/lows and all around exposure?

There were a few harsh ones I saw. What I was saying was strightly light-related, nothing to do with color balance.

In Photoshop, do you use filters or anything? Or do you just tweak highs/lows and all around exposure?

I adjust in curves and exposure. Levels here and there for mid-tones and typically add a little warmth with a color balance layer. I never use filters. My experience in the past has been with very classic and clean cut studio. Portraiture is really not my forte. I was working for Amazon doing product photography for three years but recently left my position to move to Cincinnati with my fiancee. At that job, I literally  never touched Photoshop. I just shot and passed the photos onto the imaging department for post production. Also, working 40+ hours a week shooting made me lethargic when it came to personal projects.  I'm a bit rusty on my shop techniques. Any pointers help!

I understand that studio work (stills, business portraiture) is usually very clean cut with minimal changes in post, but if you're looking to freelance for clients who are outside of still lifes (lives?), I'd suggest looking into filters -- whether they be purchased or made and saved by you in Lightroom or something. From personal experience, it's very important for your images to have style to them. Most clients are looking for something different than the photojournalistic approach of minimal post processing work. I'm not saying to overcook your photos into HDR oblivion (please dont lol), but all I'm saying is whites don't have to be white and blacks don't have to be black.

I'm not a photographer, but I'd thought I would contribute some of my photos to this thread. I'm a field biologist, so I end up in some beautiful places around creatures that are often overlooked.

I really enjoy all the beautiful images everyone has posted. I wish I knew some of the techniques that you all have presented with your work.

Cheers

cow%20moose.jpg

P1070273%20copy.jpg

P1040051%20copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the way the shades of the mountains in the distance look in this

5ccbc0a125acf7e478b862e0ae3b1984.jpg

I need to learn how to edit/touch-up the photos I take.

I like! There isn't a whole lot to edit about this except trying to dramaticize the colors a bit more, a general rule of thumb if you're wanting to keep it a tad bit natural, stick to 10-15% contrast add or subtraction, this will make your lights a bit lighter and your darks a bit darker thus popping off the natural colors in your photos. Or! try a "UV" filter, it'll def bring out the greens in the plant photos! :)

I'm not a photographer, but I'd thought I would contribute some of my photos to this thread. I'm a field biologist, so I end up in some beautiful places around creatures that are often overlooked.

I really enjoy all the beautiful images everyone has posted. I wish I knew some of the techniques that you all have presented with your work.

Cheers

cow%20moose.jpg

P1070273%20copy.jpg

P1040051%20copy.jpg

Echk, first off get rid of this notion that you are NOT a photographer. You in fact are! And a very talented one at that. 2ndly, I love your shots!

question: anyone have a good recommendation on a camera? im looking to buy one but i would like one i could use for shows. i'm looking at cameras with high iso's and wondering if 12,800iso (without boost and get crappy noise) is good enough for say a small club show) im really looking at a nikon d5200 or a canon 70d. and of course a 1.4/1.8f 50mm lense.  if anyone has any recommendations by all means.. let me know.