The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

• 1 month later...

I'm an aspiring photographer from Central Florida who specializes in live music photography. I've done photos for artists such as Porter Robinson, Being As An Ocean, and Seaway just to name a few. I'll post a few of my favorite shots below and if you like what you see feel free to click the link in my signature for my full portfolio! Thanks :)

JW2a5eX.jpg

Dn0krH4.jpg

ISQDzsV.jpg

vM3JQXt.jpg

8Z2zwZE.jpg

Nee8Ma2.jpg

With all the shootings and killing that have been going on, don't know if people would appreciate that card. Don't get me wrong, I'm not offended by it I see the humor in it, but don't think many other people will

Fuck, I didn't even think of it like that. I'm glad you see the humor in it though!

Fuck, I didn't even think of it like that. I'm glad you see the humor in it though!

Oh it's awesome really. Absolutely love it. Have always like typewriter font and love the simplicity and the joke behind it.

But at this current state of things, might be in bad taste. Some may not find it funny. Like if you were a special effects demolition guy for movies that blew shit up, and your card read "I blow up planes" shortly after 9/11.

Just the timing isn't too great right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered my first set of business cards that I'll be handing out when I (hopefully) shoot

this February!

1915408_184941191856297_2388878774937697

Man, I love that business card! Great job!

My wife and I bought a Nikon D3300 a few weeks ago and I'm starting to get into it. It's a good starter cam with guide-functions which is really helpful. But man, taking good (i mean really good) pictures is almost like science...

Not gonna lie, I think that card is great. 

So I decided to take on a daily posting challenge by way of a new Instagram account for all things nature and exploration, trying to stick to seasonal postings as I go. Gotta say, having to comb through my archives to create new images and sticking to the square format is quite fun, a lot of good things have come from images I had previously overlooked and given no thought to. Only twelve days in right now, so we'll see how long this every day thing can last… Might have to plan some trips to grab some new shots. 

If you're into mountains and that sort of imagery, feel free to take a gander or follow along for the ride (sorry, I know there's an instagram thread somewhere, but these are all real works I've taken with my camera. No selfies here.).

BTW, how much of post-editing do you put into your pics...I basically can't tell how much (or how often) a pic was edited in photoshop to emphasize certain effects...

I really like a lot of pics in this thread and was just asking myself if many of you put effort into post-editing or just take great pictures and put them online without editing

Brycesoncenter.carbonmade.com

Feedback is appreciated!

The images look a little over cooked in my opinion. If that's the look you like though then that's fine, your style is your style. I suggest getting to know the camera a little better so you can avoid having to ramp up your sliders too much in post. That practice tends to make it very obvious that your images are heavily edited. If you aren't already, I recommend using a lossless editing software like Lightroom. The image quality is visibly decreased based on what I can see on your site.

BTW, how much of post-editing do you put into your pics...I basically can't tell how much (or how often) a pic was edited in photoshop to emphasize certain effects...

I really like a lot of pics in this thread and was just asking myself if many of you put effort into post-editing or just take great pictures and put them online without editing

I do minimal post processing. I use presets that I've made in Lightroom and curb my highlights a bit but that's it. I like to apply my style in post, but I don't use Photoshop at all unless a client asks me to. Even then I try to talk them out of it, but if they insist, I'll go in and clean up skin. I like to draw the line at editing out a few blemishes here and there.

The images look a little over cooked in my opinion. If that's the look you like though then that's fine, your style is your style. I suggest getting to know the camera a little better so you can avoid having to ramp up your sliders too much in post. That practice tends to make it very obvious that your images are heavily edited. If you aren't already, I recommend using a lossless editing software like Lightroom. The image quality is visibly decreased based on what I can see on your site.

I appreciate that.

That was my style for a bit, but now I'm shooting raw and avoiding some of my flaws that I had in my earlier work.

The first photo set "Immersive" is my most recent (last month or so) work. I've grown significantly from what you can see at the "Modern Sky" and "Quartyard" photos. In my earlier works I had a tendency to use Vingette and also oversharpening. It was basically my way of correcting the flaws of how I shot the pictures. Steadily I'm learning at least the core basics and developing my style.

Here is my most recent photo set: http://immersiveatlanta.com/photos-julien-baker-old-sea-brigade-at-aisle-5/

Let me know what you think. Cheers!

I appreciate that.

That was my style for a bit, but now I'm shooting raw and avoiding some of my flaws that I had in my earlier work.

The first photo set "Immersive" is my most recent (last month or so) work. I've grown significantly from what you can see at the "Modern Sky" and "Quartyard" photos. In my earlier works I had a tendency to use Vingette and also oversharpening. It was basically my way of correcting the flaws of how I shot the pictures. Steadily I'm learning at least the core basics and developing my style.

Here is my most recent photo set: http://immersiveatlanta.com/photos-julien-baker-old-sea-brigade-at-aisle-5/

Let me know what you think. Cheers!

Those look good! They're a little muted/flat for me. I understand trying to keep as much detail in the highs/lows as possible, but a lot of times concerts are dramatic. Let that shine through your images. If there are deep shadows or funky colors going on, let them. That's just my personal input, though. Again, if you like more muted style, go for it. But I'd still like to see a little more dimension and contrast though. Especially in the black and whites.

Those look good! They're a little muted/flat for me.

I agree, if that's your style than more power to you but don't be afraid to let those colors pop. Also I would pay closer attention to your composition. Some of those shots are pretty well composed, but others maybe not so much (just my personal opinion, I'm not flaming you). Composition is everything especially when shooting live music.