The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

The entire process of Lightroom is backwards compared to Photoshop.  The biggest differences you don't even see happening, such as the fact that Lightroom is completely lossless.  Photoshop degrades the quality of the image each time you open it and work on it.  In Lightroom, you are merely working on a digital copy (also a thumbnail preview) of your original RAW file. No quality loss.

As far as features, Lightroom 4 has what I believe to be the biggest jump compared to Photoshop.  Adobe has since released LR5, but I haven't used it yet.

Everybody's workflow is different. For me, I load all of my RAW files onto my external harddrive which also houses my LR catalog, then I import to LR, do all of my base/foundation editing using plug ins, then I export a copy of my edits and from there work on the images in Photoshop for more detail editing.

i dont even know what i used to do before LR. our workflows are similar. everything i shot that day into a folder on an external, create a catalog on the external and import. i create a new cat for everything i shoot.

i never shoot raw. a 21mp jpg is fine. plus when i shoot, i shoot a lot. when working for the paper and the red sox (and weddings), i'd be shooting 3k-5k images a game, at a 10 game homestand. photojournalism quality doesnt need much. editorial or advertisement quality, yes. people always shoot raw. then they spend 30hrs editing. dont get me wrong, its awesome, the work that comes out of it is nice. its just not me. also another reason why i love LR so much. so simple, a few sliders and export. my digital workflow probably isnt the cleanest, but its what im used too haha. i just got my first tripod this year, after i was told in school that i needed one for a course. that was 6yrs ago. wow...6 years already? 

i dont even know what i used to do before LR. our workflows are similar. everything i shot that day into a folder on an external, create a catalog on the external and import. i create a new cat for everything i shoot.

i never shoot raw. a 21mp jpg is fine. plus when i shoot, i shoot a lot. when working for the paper and the red sox (and weddings), i'd be shooting 3k-5k images a game, at a 10 game homestand. photojournalism quality doesnt need much. editorial or advertisement quality, yes. people always shoot raw. then they spend 30hrs editing. dont get me wrong, its awesome, the work that comes out of it is nice. its just not me. also another reason why i love LR so much. so simple, a few sliders and export. my digital workflow probably isnt the cleanest, but its what im used too haha. i just got my first tripod this year, after i was told in school that i needed one for a course. that was 6yrs ago. wow...6 years already? 

tripod....fucking ostrowski

i just got my first tripod this year, after i was told in school that i needed one for a course. that was 6yrs ago. wow...6 years already? 

I don't own a tripod, haha. I should probably get one. I do have a monopod, though.  I've photographed a couple of the high school productions at the school my mom teaches at, so that's come in handy.

I'm currently taking moon photographs with a Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6L (push/pull) lens that I rented from Borrowlenses. A tripod would be helpful because that lens is not light, lol.  I've been hand holding it and so far so good. Super sharp.

I am not a photographer by any means, I even hesitate to use the term "amateur" because I feel it implies some sort of "semi-wannabe-professional" tone to it. I would call myself an enthusiast who enjoys shooting things in my spare time (and at times for work). I'll post some of my stuff later tonight, I look forward to seeing different things in this thread. 

of course...the man is a legend

haha ok just making sure, no believes me when i tell stories about him. he is real!

I don't own a tripod, haha. I should probably get one. I do have a monopod, though.  I've photographed a couple of the high school productions at the school my mom teaches at, so that's come in handy.

I'm currently taking moon photographs with a Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6L (push/pull) lens that I rented from Borrowlenses. A tripod would be helpful because that lens is not light, lol.  I've been hand holding it and so far so good. Super sharp.

haha, ok so im not the only one... :) i only got on because i wanted to shoot the storms here in texas. but i've ended up doing a lot more with it. recently bought some alienbees, hoping to continue my style but add some lights. hopeully the next show i shoot, i can light it up.

monopods are nice, i want one,  i started using it when i first went to school, after my forearms were burning after a womens 5k race shooting with the 70-200.  i learned a lesson when i rented a 300mm and thought i got this. i knew i was gonna use it for a few shots. f that. i used a traffic cone. when shooting for the sox i would use the 400mm...man i love you long glass. and same here, my mom works at my highschool,  but she say to the school and volunteer me that i would shoot this and that, and im stuck shooting some pageant crap...thanks mom. 

44258_446309341888_6357720_n.jpg

anyone shoot film?

i uploaded that Hassy i have. i shoot mainly portraits with that.

i havent shot film in a long time...i really do miss it. when i was at school, i had access to everything film. i wanna do shoot it, but i wanna do everything myself. i have tons of friends who shoot film, and they offer my darkroom equipment, and tell me to just use my bathroom....thats not gonna fly with the lady.

anyone shoot film?

i uploaded that Hassy i have. i shoot mainly portraits with that.

I shoot film.  I had a Mamiya 645AFD for a couple years but ended up selling it because I couldn't afford to develop the film after a while. =\ I do have a bunch of 35mm cameras and some plastic cameras that I use regularly.  I have an Plustek 35mm film scanner that I absolutely love.  One of my better investments.

haha, ok so im not the only one... :) i only got on because i wanted to shoot the storms here in texas. but i've ended up doing a lot more with it. recently bought some alienbees, hoping to continue my style but add some lights. hopeully the next show i shoot, i can light it up.

monopods are nice, i want one,  i started using it when i first went to school, after my forearms were burning after a womens 5k race shooting with the 70-200.  i learned a lesson when i rented a 300mm and thought i got this. i knew i was gonna use it for a few shots. f that. i used a traffic cone. when shooting for the sox i would use the 400mm...man i love you long glass. and same here, my mom works at my highschool,  but she say to the school and volunteer me that i would shoot this and that, and im stuck shooting some pageant crap...thanks mom. 

My mom volunteers me too! It's the worst, haha.

Which Alienbees did you get?  I have their Vagabond II battery pack (that I broke .. had to replace the battery recently) that I use with my Bowens 500 strobes.

I am not a photographer by any means, I even hesitate to use the term "amateur" because I feel it implies some sort of "semi-wannabe-professional" tone to it. I would call myself an enthusiast who enjoys shooting things in my spare time (and at times for work). I'll post some of my stuff later tonight, I look forward to seeing different things in this thread. 

same. i'd hate to imply that i have any skill whatsoever but i'd like to think i do alright! maybe i'll post some of my stuff too but i'm a little self-conscious about it. mostly from an editing standpoint.

i dont have one single music pic. :(

but here is one from the Hassey.

scanned the negative and kinda adjusted it in PS. that was years ago. processing IS pricey, especially for medium format.

focusing on that camera is tough as shit. but i love the old school manual light reader. so fun.

1430_104244365471_707_n_zps267ccaf1.jpg

then my late gammy. scanned it lower resolution.

387399_10152607118900472_1338614295_n_zp