MoviePass - For people who love going to see movies in theaters

Has anyone checked this out yet? It's a subscription service (similar to Netflix or Spotify) with a monthly recurring bill, but it's for movies, in theaters! It seems to still be in beta testing, I signed up and had to wait a few days to receive an invite, but it came eventually. After you sign up, you get a card, basically a pre-paid discover card. You check into a movie using the MoviePass app when you get to the theater and then the value of the ticket is loaded onto the card instantly and you use that to pay for your ticket.

I got mine in the mail a week ago, and in the past 8 days I've seen 6 movies. A couple at AMC theaters and the others at some local independent theaters. One of the hidden perks I found is that this card still works with theater loyalty cards (AMC Stubs for example) So the ticket value for every ticket bought with my movie pass card counts as dollars spent that add up towards rewards (spend $100 get $10 back).

The basics of the program are:

Monthly fee, based on location for pricing (Cincinnati is $35/month)

1 movie per day.

You can only see a movie one time.

Not good for 3d or imax movies.

Here is a link to the service, and yes, if enough people use this link and sign up, I get a free month or something. http://movi.ps/1a4vL2g

There is an initial set up fee, and a cancellation fee if you decide to quit the program, but after poking around online a little, it looked like there were a couple ways around the cancellation fee.

I tried to do some research before joining and just about everything I found was positive.

One blog broke it down a little. http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/my-months-with-moviepass-the-ultimate-service-for-movie-geeks/

To me it sounded a little scammy at first, but if you go to 3-4 movies a month, you end up breaking even or end up ahead. Again, I've only had it for a week, but I'm pretty happy with how smooth things work. I will say, I'll probably be checking out more movies that I wouldn't typically pay for, just because I can. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Yeah, there will be months where there are kind of a lot of things I want to check out, and hen there will be spells of nothing I care about. For the rest of this year, I'm only really excited for three flicks, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't see some others I'm on the fence about. I just really love movie theaters. Always have.

It's a bit steep, but I have a decent amount of free time and friends that always bail on plans. I don't mind going to a movie by myself. I've had the thing for 9 days now and I've seen 7 movies. I try to stay away from movie snacks bought at the theater, and check into theater rewards programs, that stuff adds up real quick. I'm glad some people are as excited about it as I am. I'm sure once I catch up on a bunch of movies I've been wanting to see I'll use it a bit less.

You have to see about 6 movies a month for it to pay for itself. 2 a week for  it to be a good deal. and i just don't think there's 104 good movies that come out in a year.

Depends on where you go and what time. For example, I went with the GF to see a movie at Regal Cinemas here in Ohio. Last showing on Saturday during opening weekend: 2 tickets = $21. So if you did it this way, you'd only have to see 4 movies a month and even then you're ahead by almost $15. BUT there could be a month or two where you see maybe 1-2 or none at all. Then you're out $30-70 a month. Just depends on the circumstances. There is a theater here that does $1.25 ($3.50 for 3D) for month old movies