MoviePass - For people who love going to see movies in theaters

How the fuck did going to the movies get to the point where I need a subscription plan? It's just retarded. Half the people who go don't buy any concessions cause it costs too much. Excluding block busters on opening weekend, the theaters are half full at best. Wonder if these tards have ever thought about giving me a ticket, popcorn, and pop for $8. The ticket arguably costs them nothing (movie going to play either way). Popcorn and pop is maybe a dollar. It's almost all margin. Who was the genius that decided that charging 3 times that was the way to go so that sometimes you end up watching a movie by yourself (or just the person you brought with you)? I'd love to hear them explain their thought process behind pricing.

So if I understand this correctly, I could go see a different movie every day of the month (as long as enough new releases came out to have 30/31 different movies to see) for $34.99?

That's the idea behind it, and according to the terms of service, you are entitled to do just that.

I see the pros and cons to something like this, but as a movie fan, a subscription program makes sense to me. I won't be going every night, I'd imagine going to see 10 movies in a month would be a stretch. To put it in perspective, whenever I think of Netflix, I think, who has time to sit down and watch a full season of... whatever. People make time for the things they want to make time for, and thats cool.

I'm guessing movie theaters either set the standard or followed the lead of sporting events and concerts for over charging on concessions. If you want to go out and be entertained, well... everyone has their price.

I usually try to make my money stretch as much as possible, and for me the moviepass works in my favor.

• 4 years later...
10 minutes ago, kylet said:

You guys see Netflix bought this and immediately changed the price to $9.99 per month. I just singed up. Wondering what some people's thoughts are who have used it? My buddy got it last week and used it when we went to see IT yesterday. No issues for him so far.

I got an invite years ago when it was invite only, but had to cancel after a month because a bunch of shit happened.

Never had any problems with it and I loved it

2 hours ago, marc32137 said:

Netflix didn't buy it. It was started by a co-founder of Netflix, though. And yes, I signed up a month ago but didn't get my card until yesterday.  Can't wait to finally try it out!

Ahh my bad. Regardless, seems like the same brains that changed the VOD game are starting to dabble in the movie theaters! I'd love to see Mother this weekend, but I probably won't have my pass in time. 

1 hour ago, FiggyPud said:

This sounds way too good to be true.  Like... this is only for ONE ticket per day right?  I'm assuming my wife and I both can't go see a movie every day and this covers both tickets.

Well...right. each person would need their own pass. Seeing one movie per month pretty much pays for the pass though.

38 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Well...right. each person would need their own pass. Seeing one movie per month pretty much pays for the pass though.

Seriously, one movie ticket here is like $15 for a 2D non-Imax screening.

Their limits of "One movie a day. Each movie only once" were more than reasonable when it was $40. It was the best. Now that it's $10 though...I'm hella skeptical. It feels like it's gonna crash and burn. I know AMC sued them literally the same day they announced the $10 price point. There's not a single AMC within like 100 miles of me...but still...I know the service works but at that price now it seems too good to be true for too much longer.

I'm pretty sure AMC can't really do much about it, no matter how much they bitch about it. The MoviePass card is just a prepaid MasterCard so it'd be really difficult for them to block it. And it benefits theaters the most. If people spend less for the tickets, they'll be more into spending money on snacks which is the real money maker.

Also, the "each movie only once" rule has been lifted with this new price structure.

AMC can refuse to be on the list of eligible theaters, which they've done in some areas.

AMC is only pissed about Moviepass because it'll interfere with the success of their Stubs membership program. It makes me think that they're were probably considering their own subscription service and it'll never be able to compete with Moviepass' price now.

Edited by dnl

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Snaggle Von Swift said:

Been a member since early September and have seen 17 movies... WELL worth $9.99/month.

And I am collection Regal Crown Club points with each ticket purchase, so every few movies I get free popcorn.

I took advantage of a recent promo and paid $90 for a year's subscription. I usually see 2-3 movies a week so it was $90 well spent. I'm considering buying gift subscriptions as Christmas presents this year.

Edited by dnl

I got one of these the other month and it rules. Mondays are my off-days, so I usually go to a movie every Monday afternoon at my local AMC. I can look up my Stubs number from the kiosk so I still get points, too. (I actually work close to another AMC and I've been thinking about just stopping on my way home from work a few nights a week and buying a random ticket with MoviePass just to get the Stubs points, ha! Those $5 discounts add up fast.)

• 4 weeks later...

was just talking about this to my friend who has one, and I think I def need to do it. we see at least 2 movies a month so it would def pay off and theres 2 theaters here that do the movie pass. kinda bummed I missed the $90 special, but anyone know how often they run specials?

My girlfriend and I have been wanting this for the last month, but Im still a bit hesitant.  Ive heard nothing but bad reviews in regards to the app.  Maybe once we get closer to spring I'll sign up.  Maybe they will fix the app and their customer service by then.  Nothing great is coming out that I personally want to see the next few months.  BUT, I iwll say $10 a month is a steal!

I personally have had zero issues with the app, although I've seen them tweet a few times where they've had outages which caused their system not to work and they asked that anyone who bought tickets to email them receipts for reimbursement. I guess that's more lucky timing on my part.

On 1/2/2018 at 11:04 AM, KingTacoMunster said:

was just talking about this to my friend who has one, and I think I def need to do it. we see at least 2 movies a month so it would def pay off and theres 2 theaters here that do the movie pass. kinda bummed I missed the $90 special, but anyone know how often they run specials?

I got our 1 year passes from Costco for $90 and it comes with a 1 year sub to movie streaming service Fandor. I believe there is a smallish fee if you don’t have a Costco membership, but it should still beat paying $10/mo for 12 months.

https://m.costco.com/MoviePass-and-Fandor-12-Month-Subscription-eVoucher.product.100395930.html?pageSize=24&catalogId=10701&dept=All&langId=-1&keyword=MoviePass&storeId=10301