MoviePass - For people who love going to see movies in theaters

Got one of these a few months ago and have been pretty happy with it.  A movie costs like $11-15 here anyway, so even if I see a movie a month I'm saving a little money.  I'm trying to go every week, but realistically it's about every 2.  I also work by an AMC and a Regal, so it's easy to pop out and grab a ticket for a later showing.

Had this for about 2 months now. I love it. I've had no issues at the AMC theaters here in Boston and back in Michigan. I went to the movies 5 weeks straight, then twice over the holidays. It's incredibly worth it, especially given that it's Oscar season.

Only issue that I had was it not working at an MJR Theater when I was visiting Michigan. From what I read, that's a running problem on MJR's end. I guess, if you're gonna use it at a smaller/local theater most often, I'd check to make sure it works consistently there. Reddit was pretty helpful for checking that out, I believe.

Edited by TheWindBlower

11 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

It's been 16 days since my card "shipped" 

A brief googling tells me this won't go well if it never shows up

Fuck...I had zero problems a few years ago when I had this...

Now it takes about 1-2 months for a card to be delivered. They've released multiple statements about not being able to keep up with demand when making the cards. I don't think they've fixed that yet. 

The best thing is to use a moviepass with a rewards card. It's been a while since I actually spent more than a couple of dollars in concessions at a regal theater (granted I usually only buy a drink or candy). Cinemark rewards program is a bust. Their concessions coupons don't offer any decent deals.

1 hour ago, dnl said:

Now it takes about 1-2 months for a card to be delivered. They've released multiple statements about not being able to keep up with demand when making the cards. I don't think they've fixed that yet. 

The best thing is to use a moviepass with a rewards card. It's been a while since I actually spent more than a couple of dollars in concessions at a regal theater (granted I usually only buy a drink or candy). Cinemark rewards program is a bust. Their concessions coupons don't offer any decent deals.

If that is the case shouldnt they change the expected date on their site. If they just said it from the beginning they would probably get alot less people coming to them asking where the card is. 

I checked reddit (ugh) and some people are saying they've received their cards that they bought on Christmas day. Mine "shipped" on the 23rd.

With the lowered price and the huge influx of orders they got for the holidays I didn't expect it until late last week, but the "You should have received your card by now, please activate it" with a broken "I didn't" link worries me. I'm not gonna panic yet, but with their nonexistent customer service I'm not NOT a bit anxious.

I was really hoping to see The Disaster Artist, but that was down to one showing a day last week so I'm sure it's gone now.

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I checked reddit (ugh) and some people are saying they've received their cards that they bought on Christmas day. Mine "shipped" on the 23rd.

With the lowered price and the huge influx of orders they got for the holidays I didn't expect it until late last week, but the "You should have received your card by now, please activate it" with a broken "I didn't" link worries me. I'm not gonna panic yet, but with their nonexistent customer service I'm not NOT a bit anxious.

I was really hoping to see The Disaster Artist, but that was down to one showing a day last week so I'm sure it's gone now.

such a good movie.  i feel like it may head back into more theatres with its recent win and oscars coming up.  Also, its slated for DVD in only 2 months.

They have their customer service phone number back up and running!

My card auto activated and I could see it on the app, still no card in the mail. Called and apparently because I previously had a card (years ago) it defaulted to that address...even though I entered my new address when prompted for a shipping address...thats a stupid fucking failure on their system, but whatever. Im glad I know what the fuck happened. They canceled out that card and I'll have a new one shipping out to my real address soon. I'm gonna be really bummed if I miss out on the new Star Wars while I wait, but I doubt that's leaving theaters in the next couple weeks. I just would have preferred having more show times to choose from.

Let me tell you, if you're looking for a good gift for your parents, this is 100% it. I got MoviePass for both of my parents for Christmas and they are FREAKING OUT about it. They've gone to five movies already and they've only had their cards for a week. (I guess when you're retired you can do that.)

43 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

They're playing hardball. Movie Pass pulled that coverage, not AMC. I guess some chains have agreed to share a portion of their increased concession revenues and AMC has stated they won't even entertain the idea. I read somewhere (I apologize if I'm covering shit in that link, I've already read a bunch but not that one) that MP customers on average spend 2x what regular customers spend on concessions as well as, obviously, seeing more movies.

Been using mine and I fucking love it. Plus with the theater's rewards program I'll be earning a free popcorn every 3 trips or a free ticket (so I can see something with my girlfriend....she wants to see probably 1 out of every 10 movies I see anyways) every 6 trips. But I'm "Diamond tier" on the regal card so I get an extra 1,000 points ($10 worth) every visit. I go to the movies too much....

7 hours ago, Twistedshabazz said:

I forget did someone say what were the good rewards programs and what were bad?  The closest theaters for my moviepass card are both carmike (which was recently bought by amc)

There's a Regal and a Cinemark near me. Regal has the better option as points are easier to accumulate and can actually be redeemed for free stuff like tickets and concessions. Cinemark's rewards doesn't offer much outside of $2 off a drink or candy or something. Plus you have to purchase a lot to accumulate points.

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Well, looks like MP might be dead

Yea it’s not looking good. Paid for two movies out of pocket this week, one because the service was down and I didn’t know until I got to the theater and the other because they blocked MI. Got in a free viewing of Teen Titans yesterday before it stopped working again.  I’m bummed but I’m not going to get all entitled about it like a lot of people have, I paid $90 eight months ago and have seen 39 movies since then.

2 hours ago, dantheriver said:

Yea it’s not looking good. Paid for two movies out of pocket this week, one because the service was down and I didn’t know until I got to the theater and the other because they blocked MI. Got in a free viewing of Teen Titans yesterday before it stopped working again.  I’m bummed but I’m not going to get all entitled about it like a lot of people have, I paid $90 eight months ago and have seen 39 movies since then.

The entitlement has been insane. I saw people screaming about the Mission Impossible thing like "that's illegal! Let's start a class action suit!" and like...nah bruh, they can blackout a movie if they want...

E-ticketing still works and I've got a small "indie" here that does that. They're also not blacking out Mission Impossible at e-ticket theaters so I'm going to that right now. As of this afternoon no one could successfully check in at any theater that required use of the card. Not sure what's up now.