MoviePass - For people who love going to see movies in theaters

4 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I'm only bummed that I paid for a full year and this will be 6 months...but still...I've seen 25 movies and that works out to $4.80 a ticket. Tickets here are $13.70.

If this is it then yea my 1 year membership will be shorted 4 months. But I’ve abused the hell out of it so I’ll walk away satisfied. AMC has a pretty decent $20/month 3 movies/week plan that I may jump over to but I travel all over the place for work so MoviePass allowing nearly every theater to be used was really clutch. 

I don't have a single AMC within 100 miles of me, so I'm shit outta luck.

Word is AMC is going to drastically overhaul their program, the current model is just until Moviepass crashes and burns out. That's why you can only buy it for 3 months at a time right now. Maybe not, but that rumour wouldn't surprise me at all.

I also just double checked some theaters around here and the Moviepass app is only listing like 3 or 4 movies at each, even though more than 10 are currently playing. My plan had been to see Ant Man tonight and that's completely gone. Not even just grayed out.

4 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I don't have a single AMC within 100 miles of me, so I'm shit outta luck.

Word is AMC is going to drastically overhaul their program, the current model is just until Moviepass crashes and burns out. That's why you can only buy it for 3 months at a time right now. Maybe not, but that rumour wouldn't surprise me at all.

I also just double checked some theaters around here and the Moviepass app is only listing like 3 or 4 movies at each, even though more than 10 are currently playing. My plan had been to see Ant Man tonight and that's completely gone. Not even just grayed out.

Sinemia isn’t a bad alternative with no AMCs around. Obviously it’s not nearly as catering to the “im down to go to the movies 3-4 times a week” crowd but 3 movies at $13.99 a month is still a pretty steep discount. Even better if you have an IMAX near you since those tickets run upwards of $20 per showing.

20 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Sinemia isn’t a bad alternative with no AMCs around. Obviously it’s not nearly as catering to the “im down to go to the movies 3-4 times a week” crowd but 3 movies at $13.99 a month is still a pretty steep discount. Even better if you have an IMAX near you since those tickets run upwards of $20 per showing.

Yeah, I'm thinking about dropping the like $170 on a year for that. I think it works out to just under $5 a movie. Sucks for months were a ton of stuff comes out, but still worth it. With my luck they'll end their "sale" price right before I have the extra cash. I think "regular price" for the 3 movie plan is like $420 for the year... definitely not worth it. I mean, the math still works out in my favor but it's just so far from the $120 that I dropped on Moviepass.

God damn I wish I had a Drafthouse around here. Although, one of the cofounders has started a new company and one of their first theaters is in my city. Not sure when it's opening, but it should be a damn good theater.

E-ticketing is still working on MP, but the cards are completely non-functional at this point. Saw MI: F last night and I'm gonna check out Blindspotting tonight. Probably Eighth Grade tomorrow. I'll honestly be surprised if there's any functionality after that.

54 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

E-ticketing is still working on MP, but the cards are completely non-functional at this point. 

Unless they get the card situation figured out, I'm kind of fucked.  Both the theaters close to me don't do the e-ticketing.  Hoping it gets sorted, as there are a few titles I want to see this week.

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

Unless they get the card situation figured out, I'm kind of fucked.  Both the theaters close to me don't do the e-ticketing.  Hoping it gets sorted, as there are a few titles I want to see this week.

Looks like they are "no longer offering tickets to big new releases such as Christopher Robin and The Meg coming out the next 2 weeks" Which is funny because I was stoked to see The Meg but ONLY because I'd be seeing it through Moviepass. Not paying real money for that shit.

So if they get it back up and running don't expect to be able to see any new shit apparently. I lucked out, my local indie only became an e-ticketing theater a month or two ago. Otherwise I'd be shit outta luck.

Cancelled my MoviePass just now. The Peak Pricing here in Boston was $8+ for every film pretty much. That's way too steep for my blood. I'm only using MoviePass once or twice a month. $9.99+$8 per film is actually more than just buying a regular ticket most of the time. Might switch right over to Sinema. Though, I'm intrigued how AMC will restructure their plan, if that rumor is true. I pretty much exclusively go to AMC Theaters.

Since getting my card in October, I've seen 32 movies with MoviePass, which comes out to $3.11 a ticket. Even though a lot of showings I would go to were morning matinees (which are usually $5-7 around here), it still saved me plenty of money, and I also saw tons of films I never would've seen otherwise, at least not in the theater. RIP MoviePass (probably).

Reports are coming in that the price is going up to $15 a month very soon and they've already announced that "blockbuster" movies won't be available for the first couple weeks. We'll just have to see how long this will last before they totally go under. Fortunately my local theater chain just launched $5 Tuesdays (which all have reserved seating so I can book in advance), so it won't be too much of a loss if I have to wave Moviepass goodbye.

Figured I'd ride it out and then almost immediately decided to cancel.  The new changes they announced yesterday are just too much.  They're still not being transparent in what's going on.  It almost seems like they're trying to move to a more expensive system where only some inconvenient showtimes are available and only a certain number of tickets will be distributed to subscribers on any given day.

It was fun while it lasted though

If I were monthly I'd probably keep going with the new rules IF the available showings weren't so erratic. I've been checking the app all day and it's always different. Although, even then I live 10 minutes from an e-ticketing theater (no blocked movies, all showtimes available, no 2 week wait) so $15 a month would still be worth it.

I just wish I'd been stockpiling my Regal points. I've earned and used about 60,000

49 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

If I were monthly I'd probably keep going with the new rules IF the available showings weren't so erratic. I've been checking the app all day and it's always different. Although, even then I live 10 minutes from an e-ticketing theater (no blocked movies, all showtimes available, no 2 week wait) so $15 a month would still be worth it.

I just wish I'd been stockpiling my Regal points. I've earned and used about 60,000

You keep mentioning e ticketing. What do you mean by that? 

5 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

You keep mentioning e ticketing. What do you mean by that? 

Some indie chains have partnered with MP. With those theaters you don't need the card, you just check in with the app and get a QR code. Because they deal directly with Moviepass they're exempt from a lot of the new limitations.

17 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Some indie chains have partnered with MP. With those theaters you don't need the card, you just check in with the app and get a QR code. Because they deal directly with Moviepass they're exempt from a lot of the new limitations.

I'm stoked about that because the two theaters I go to most are e-tickets.  So no change for me I guess

On 8/1/2018 at 4:23 PM, Bladewillisisdead said:

That sounds convenient. How do you know what theaters around you offer that? 

I read an article a few days ago that movie pass was blocking major movies because they want the studios to pay them for the service. So the plan was drop the price to crazy cheap to get tons of users (which they did). Prove to the studios that they control a huge chunk of the movie goers. Make the studios pay to have their movies up on movie pass. Right now we're in the "hard ball" phase, but if studios start noticing a decline in titles not on movie pass compared to titles that movie pass users are aloud to see, this might all come to an end. 

No idea what's going on with the movies randomly being taken down through out the day. My buddy drove to a theater and by the time he pulled up and went to check in the movie had been removed.

Edited by kylet

16 minutes ago, kylet said:

That sounds convenient. How do you know what theaters around you offer that? 

I read an article a few days ago that movie pass was blocking major movies because they want the studios to pay them for the service. So the plan was drop the price to crazy cheap to get tons of users (which they did). Prove to the studios that they control a huge chunk of the movie goers. Make the studios pay to have their movies up on movie pass. Right now we're in the "hard ball" phase, but if studios start noticing a decline in titles not on movie pass compared to titles that movie pass users are aloud to see, this might all come to an end. 

No idea what's going on with the movies randomly being taken down through out the day. My buddy drove to a theater and by the time he pulled up and went to check in the movie had been removed.

I'd suggest following /moviepassclub on reddit. I don't normally go on an reddit for any reason, but it's a great source of constantly updating information on this shit.

If you have an E-ticketing theater near you it'll appear at the top of your theater list and will have a ticket icon next to it.

While it was always their plan to play hardball and that IS what they're doing now...a lot of it is them literally not having the money to pay for tickets. That's why the showtimes appear/disappear throughout the day, before vanishing altogether and/or checking being disabled. I've been reading about people going to their theaters at like 6am to get tickets (I guess some theaters have self serve kiosks outside). They're making it next to impossible to actually get tickets while still being able to say they're operational.

I guess Lionsgate paid up for The Spy Who Dumped Me because that's the only new movie available at all.

It's not looking like Moviepass is gonna make it through this one...

Starting August 15 MP will now limit you to 3 movies a month. They are doing away with the price increase, so it'll stay $10/month. They will NOT be restricting new releases like they did the last two weeks. They're also doing away with the "upload a picture of your ticket" thing.

I THINK but I'm not sure they will also be doing away with surge pricing. Hopefully this stops their whole "disappearing showtimes all day" and "Shut the whole thing down around 5pm" thing

No one knows if this 3 movie restriction will affect annual subscribers before their yearly renewal. In the last 3 weeks I saw 8 movies, but half of those were "Oh shit, Moviepass is going under better get some movies in!" Before that I was actually averaging 3 a month, although some months it was 1 or 2 and others it was 5+