MoviePass - For people who love going to see movies in theaters

3 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Starting August 15 MP will now limit you to 3 movies a month. They are doing away with the price increase, so it'll stay $10/month. They will NOT be restricting new releases like they did the last two weeks. They're also doing away with the "upload a picture of your ticket" thing.

I THINK but I'm not sure they will also be doing away with surge pricing. Hopefully this stops their whole "disappearing showtimes all day" and "Shut the whole thing down around 5pm" thing

No one knows if this 3 movie restriction will affect annual subscribers before their yearly renewal. In the last 3 weeks I saw 8 movies, but half of those were "Oh shit, Moviepass is going under better get some movies in!" Before that I was actually averaging 3 a month, although some months it was 1 or 2 and others it was 5+

They used some loose terminology like “many major studio first run films” when referencing whether or not there would be blackout periods for certain movies. Hopefully the whole “every showing after 2pm vanishes at 11am” bit goes away. I don’t think annual subscribers lose ‘one movie a day’ until its time to transfer over to the new monthly plan. If this new plan is sustainable for them then I’ll likely give it a shot when my annual pass expires. Three movies for $10 is a pretty sizable discount and there will be a $2-$5 discount on additional tickets purchased through the app.

Yeah, the language in the official press release was a bit different than the info I found early this morning.

They'll probably still be blacking out some big stuff. Most likely to (besides just not losing all that cash of course) continue trying to show "See, we can drive people to different movies! Please give us money!"

14 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I think I'm going to cancel toward the end of my billing cycle if the service doesn't level back out.  Slenderman is the only movie I have the option to see out of 27 screens near me, haha.

SUPPOSEDLY this shit will stop happening by 9/15. Supposedly. 

I'm pissed. I managed to get tickets to The Meg on Saturday and then had an emergency come up and I couldn't go. I happened to be right next to the mall, saw the showing I wanted to go to (4 hours later) pop up so I bolted over and grabbed it. Come 4 hours later and I couldn't go. So now I can't see it using MP at all, no matter how things shape up with them.

Next time I have free time to see a movie I'm gonna head to the theater with my unripped ticket stub and see if a manager will take pity on me.

19 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I'm pissed. I managed to get tickets to The Meg on Saturday and then had an emergency come up and I couldn't go. I happened to be right next to the mall, saw the showing I wanted to go to (4 hours later) pop up so I bolted over and grabbed it. Come 4 hours later and I couldn't go. So now I can't see it using MP at all, no matter how things shape up with them.

Next time I have free time to see a movie I'm gonna head to the theater with my unripped ticket stub and see if a manager will take pity on me.

Couldnt you check into a movie you dont give a shit about and just walk into the meg?

Just now, Twistedshabazz said:

Couldnt you check into a movie you dont give a shit about and just walk into the meg?

Yeah, but until all this disappearing showtimes and only one movie available shit stops even that is going to be a giant pain in the ass. If all that's available on the app is a 10pm showing of Slenderman, I'm not going to be able to sneak into a 6:30 showing of The Meg.

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Yeah, but until all this disappearing showtimes and only one movie available shit stops even that is going to be a giant pain in the ass. If all that's available on the app is a 10pm showing of Slenderman, I'm not going to be able to sneak into a 6:30 showing of The Meg.

True. I guess my idea only works if they unfuck everything that is wrong with the app. 

2 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I hope so.  My billing is on the 10th apparently, so I'll ride it out until then.  3 movies a month for $10 is fine with me, but when my options are incredibly limited, it's becomes completely worthless.

Edited by jonrawks

2 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I hope so.  My billing is on the 10th apparently, so I'll ride it out until then.  3 movies a month for $10 is fine with me, but when my options are incredibly limited, it's becomes completely worthless.

Theyre doing all this bullshit to essentially stop hemorrhaging cash until it's 3 a month for all the monthly subscibers. Granted, 9/15 could come around and nothing changes. 

I'm just mad because I've seen the trailer for The Meg probably 20 times this year and every time I'm like "Hell yeah, that's JUST the type of garbage I'm glad I have Moviepass to go see! I'mma get stoned af and watch Jason Statham punch a fucking shark"

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

MoviePass parent company’s shares drop to a nickel a pop, causing shareholders to sue. Watching all of this unfold has been more entertaining than the benefits of MoviePass itself.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/08/15/moviepass-subscription-woes-cause-huge-losses-shareholder-lawsuit

Damn, I've been too busy the last week or so to really go to the movies. Got 4 in a row real quick when the shit first hit the fan. Really need to get some more in. Still like 4 movies I haven't seen at the e-ticket theater here.

I'm at 30 movies so far, so even if it shits the bed for good tomorrow I'd say I got my $120 worth out of it tho

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

Got an email from moviepass that you now can see what movies are available each day on their website. It has like one big named movie and a bunch of indies. In the next week you can see some movies only on one day, and some are showing the entire week. 

In all the theaters near me I can see the meg (which i have seen) or the new spike lee movie.  They said they were improving it but that is far from an improvement...

Please note that ALL showtimes tend to be removed between 5-6pm EST. Pick up tickets early if you want to see anything.

15 hours ago, Tardcore said:

Looks like they’re mostly in the business of fluffing the viewer numbers for movies that people wouldn’t otherwise pay to see.

Trying to stop bleeding so much cash AND probably gonna try to use those numbers to demonstrate to studios that they are worth partnering with.

Got the email about having an option to pull out of movie pass and be refunded for the rest of the year. I think I have until Friday to do that, probably do it sometime early this week. It was a good run, I saw around 50 movies with it, but after having a kid in May, and moviepass changing their design to only allow certain movies and certain times, I really haven't been able to use it. My window to see movies has significantly decreased, so in the rare event I do get a sitter or can sneak out late on my own, I don't want to be restricted to 2 different movie options of their choice. 

I remember some people mentioning other subscription services at some point in this thread. Any of those allow you see whatever movie you want where ever? I'm fine only getting 2-3 a month. I just want to be able to see 2-3 I choose. Also don't really have an AMC near me, so would be nice if I could find a subscription that works at Regal and some of the other indie places around me. 

32 minutes ago, kylet said:

Got the email about having an option to pull out of movie pass and be refunded for the rest of the year. I think I have until Friday to do that, probably do it sometime early this week. It was a good run, I saw around 50 movies with it, but after having a kid in May, and moviepass changing their design to only allow certain movies and certain times, I really haven't been able to use it. My window to see movies has significantly decreased, so in the rare event I do get a sitter or can sneak out late on my own, I don't want to be restricted to 2 different movie options of their choice. 

I remember some people mentioning other subscription services at some point in this thread. Any of those allow you see whatever movie you want where ever? I'm fine only getting 2-3 a month. I just want to be able to see 2-3 I choose. Also don't really have an AMC near me, so would be nice if I could find a subscription that works at Regal and some of the other indie places around me. 

https://www.sinemia.com/new-plans

There's a 3 a month plan for $14.99. includes 3D and Imax.

I jumped ship on moviepass :unsure:. It's been a good  run. I think my annual subscription was ~$85 bucks. I got a refund of $27 dollars and some change for canceling early.  I saw exactly 50 movies with it. So for about $50 bucks I saw 50 movies. Not too bad.

I signed up for Siemia. They have a few different plans. I went with the 2 movies a month (non 3-D and imax) for $7.99 a month. They're currently running a promotion to try to encourage others who are jumping ship from other subscription services (i.e. moviepass), where if you sign up for a new plan (monthly or annually) both the new sign up and the person who referred you get a $10 credit! Just gotta use my referral link and it asks for proof of your moviepass account (just gotta punch in the numbers on the moviepass card). I referred my wife and we each got $10 bucks!

Edited by kylet

I'm still unlimited for now. Only thing showing last night was The Happytime Murders and I want to rack up some Regal points while I can.

Not that I wasn't expecting it to be terrible...but I really should have just taken a picture of my ticket and then thrown it in the trash.

Moviepass was really great for me but I pulled the plug on my annual membership that I only paid $90 for and ended up getting $55 back. Saw 34 movies for $35. I'm on AMC A-list now, it's $20 a month but there's no restrictions whatsoever (aside from 3 movies a week), been trying to hit those $30 IMAX movies in manhattan. So far the value is great.