PO: Windhand - Soma [9/17]

PO: http://www.relapse.com/search_result.php?mode=grid&order=release_date&dir=descα=W&p=1&search_by=all&q=windhand

soma_364_1_1_1_1_1.jpg

1. Orchard            6:37    
2. Woodbine         9:22    
3. Feral Bones      7:59    
4. Evergreen         6:56    
5. Cassock         13:45     
6. Boleskin          30:29     

Six songs. 75:08 minutes.

2XLP gatefold sleeve on reverse board with spot UV.

1000 x Black Standard Gram

1000 x Blood Red (Translucent) Standard Gram

500 x Black 180 Gram

300 x Electric Blue (Translucent) Standard Gram

100 x Deep Purple (Translucent) Standard Gram (Sold Out)

100 x Clear (do not request clear)

"Woodbine": http://www.stereogum.com/1423011/windhand-woodbine/mp3s/ (I highly recommend checking out this track.)

This band has been up and coming for some time. They've gotten great responses in the overall stoner/sludge/doom realms of metal fandom. Their first and eponymous album and their split with label mates Cough, Reflection Of The Negative, (track "Amaranth" is highly recommended) are both on their bandcamp:

http://windhandva.bandcamp.com/

I'm super stoked for this release. One of the most exciting newer bands that I've discovered recently. They've got a couple tracks that are almost too slow for me ("Shepherd's Crook" for instance) but overall they're on the faster end of what would be considered "doom".

I think its a fairer number than that but yeah, I'm not really a huge metal person myself. In fact, I'm ridiculously particular about which metal bands I'll actually listen to or even give a chance but this band has really done it for me. I've been on a stoner/fuzz based rock bent for some time now so that's the angle by which Windhand appeals to me. I figured there would be at least some response. Most of the threads I start for new releases go widely ignored/unnoticed. I'm used to it.

I think its a fairer number than that but yeah, I'm not really a huge metal person myself. In fact, I'm ridiculously particular about which metal bands I'll actually listen to or even give a chance but this band has really done it for me. I've been on a stoner/fuzz based rock bent for some time now so that's the angle by which Windhand appeals to me. I figured there would be at least some response. Most of the threads I start for new releases go widely ignored/unnoticed. I'm used to it.

Yeah, the only metal i really listen to is stoner/doom/sludge; i wasn't trying to be a jerk. This band rules and more people should get into it.

I thought long and hard last week when I preordered this record whether I should pay the extra $6 for the purple because it comes with a free patch. I decided against it and went with the electric blue.The record will sound the same on either color.

Anyway, Windhand is one of the few female fronted stoner rock/doom bands, besides Acid King and The Wounded Kings, that I can listen too. 

Awesome live band too. Such sick tone this band has.

I thought long and hard last week when I preordered this record whether I should pay the extra $6 for the purple because it comes with a free patch. I decided against it and went with the electric blue.The record will sound the same on either color.

Anyway, Windhand is one of the few female fronted stoner rock/doom bands, besides Acid King and The Wounded Kings, that I can listen too. 

Awesome live band too. Such sick tone this band has.

I was thinking the same thing about which version to get. I held off but will probably pick up the blue before too long. 

Have you heard the split they did with Cough? Such killer tunes. Let me know if you haven't and I'll upload it for you.

i like the split until we get to the stupid "time for sacrifice blah blah" part for 10 minutes on the Cough side. So stupid.

• 4 weeks later...

The official track times are out and holy shit. I hope side D is cut well with fidelity in mind. I'm still excited either way.

The official track times are out and holy shit. I hope side D is cut well with fidelity in mind. I'm still excited either way.

Indeed, holy shit!

I actually hope that the first half of Boleskin is at C side and the rest is D. 

Now i'm more than happy that i was able to change my blue copy for the 180gram black.

I think there is a strong possibility that they will have these on the tour. I know they're already manufactured and probably have been in Relapse's hands since they put up the pictures of the actual products in the store. Its been known to happen that you can score the LP version of a new release early on a tour that occurs before street date.

I'm hoping to have one of my pre-orders ahead of time but if not, I'll more than likely grab this and any of their stuff on CD when I see them on 9/11.