I'm hoping over the next year to acquire the components to a decent audiophile system. I think for a turntable I've chosen a Pro-ject Debut Carbon. What would I need (or want) in the way of preamps, stereos, speakers to complete a nice little living room sound system. This doesn't need to be something that can play my T.V. audio or CDs or anything. I just want a system dedicated to quality vinyl sound.

If you want something good with little money l sugget listen/read about Pio A30,Denon PMA 520,720,Yamaha AS 300,AS 500 Marantza PM6004 and of course NAD but its pricey without integrated phono (all the other amps i listed have.) For Speakers Wharefedale 10.1 or the new 12.1 is very good. Also Q Acoustics 2020i,Monitor Audio BX2 and the lists goes on..
All there are in small budget entry level but i think for first new system is very nice.

Im also ging for the same TT and Wharefedale 12.1. I dont know about amp yet :P

If you want something good with little money l sugget listen/read about Pio A30,Denon PMA 520,720,Yamaha AS 300,AS 500 Marantza PM6004 and of course NAD but its pricey without integrated phono (all the other amps i listed have.) For Speakers Wharefedale 10.1 or the new 12.1 is very good. Also Q Acoustics 2020i,Monitor Audio BX2 and the lists goes on..

All there are in small budget entry level but i think for first new system is very nice.

Also, a lot of us have been scooping up the Epos Epic line speakers (epic 2 or epic 5, depending on whether you want bookshelf or floorstanding) for half off at music direct.

Should he also be looking at the Marantz PM5004 or is it just too underpowered?  Factory refurbs are $330 on www.accessories4less.com 

Should he also be looking at the Marantz PM5004 or is it just too underpowered?  Factory refurbs are $330 on www.accessories4less.com 

you can get one as low as $185 from Amazon warehouse if you are patient. 

Not sure how it compares to the PM6004 quality wise...but as far as power goes...the volume knob never goes over 50% with my reasonably efficient speakers in a smallish room.

Personally, if I was going to upgrade from where I am now, I would skip the PM6004 and look at the made in Japan PM8004.