Filter by Genre Capability

thebiglebowski

This setup has worked in the past but there are just too many people on VC now. Also, the users are way more heterogeneous than they used to be. There's just too much going on to follow in the FS thread. You have to bump 4 times a day to keep your thread anywhere near the top.

My idea:

Everyone who creates a thread in those pages after a certain point should be required to choose some attributes from an enumeration, which can be filtered on by the readers. An example, if I made a sale where I wanted to trade a Lagwagon record I would choose a dropdown that said "punk" and a dropdown that said "trade". Someone who filtered the page to show only punk, trade, or trade + punk would see my post.

For genres, you could just copy what ebay uses (about 15 or so types), one for other media (dvds, cds, etc), and one everything else (cars for sale?).

For types, wanted, for sale, for trade, and ebay/discogs

The user always has the option to see the full page if they choose. Or they can see a filtered set (like I want)

You limit the genres to 3 or less, and the types to 2 or less for each posting. If someone really has a legitimate need to advertise in more genres, they can make duplicate posts. I believe this would be few and far between and the mild inconvenience is greatly outweighed by the positives.

There is no backwards compatibility issue (like if you tried to rearrange the forums into new subforums...no one would know where anything is).

Yes, the tags and comments and stuff kinda do this job. If I search for "punk", it brings up people who posted with the word. It's just not the same thing as a rigorous categorization of all posts that can be filtered on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y72Igrxz4E

you know they don't read this board, right?

I think they occasionally read it and ignore most of what's going posted. I like to think that maybe somewhere down the line there will be a VC 2.0 code push and they will consider suggestions about what to improve.

But yeah, I don't expect it to be popping up this month or anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe even seperate sale trade want sections would make it a heap easier

Would also work but doesn't fit in with legacy threads. No one could sort them in any reasonable amount of time. You could start fresh and have an "old" sale section, but that is messy.

Filtering capability avoids all these issues.

• 3 weeks later...