PO: Russian Circles - Memorial (Media Mail back on Hello $5.50)

Oct. 29

CD and LP: http://hellomerch.com/products/memorial

Bundles: http://hellomerch.com/products/memorial-bundle

500 Translucent steel Grey (Mailorder only)

500 Clear (Mailorder only)

??? Black

russian5.jpg

1. Memoriam
2. Deficit 
3. 1777
4. Cheyenne
5. Burial
6. Ethel
7. Lebaron
8. Memorial

https://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/russian-circles-deficit

New track "Deficit" available at the above link.

There's a very nice review of the full album with some interesting info regarding the tracks. The description definitely increases my excitement.

Saw them on Saturday and had conversations with all the guys in the band. Mike told me that the new album will be out in late October. There's 8 songs and it will be short like 36 to 37 minutes. I was pretty drunk but what my understanding was is that the songs will be either heavy or "pretty" and they will be completely divided. I think he meant that no song will start nice and turn heavy and viceversa. Each song keeps its tone throughout. I also felt like he meant that the heavy songs will be on one side of the LP and the pretty songs on the other. Again, I was kinda hammered so that could have just been me over-thinking what he was saying. They played two new songs and they were both heavy and fucking great.

Two years on from the release of Russian CirclesEmpros, the Chicago instru-metal trio have announced that their next set,Memorial, is due October 29 through Sargent House.

A press release notes that the band's fifth full-length found them re-teaming with producer Brandon Curtis (the Secret Machines, Interpol), who had worked behind the boards on Empros and 2009's Geneva. The eight-song set was recorded at Chicago's Electrical Audio studio, and according to bassist Brian Cook, the band "set out to make a straightforward, intense, heavy record."

"We've always tried to balance our metal-influenced sounds with more nuanced, pretty, orchestral elements," he said in a statement. "But this time, it's far more polarized in that the heavy parts are much more blown out and exaggerated while the pretty moments are far more restrained, delicate, and atmospheric."

To preview the "darker and more sombre sounds" of Memorial, the band are now streaming the doomy, chugging licks and brutalized drums of post-apocalyptic dirge "Deficit," which you can check out down below.

Elsewhere, opener "Memoriam" is said to feature delicate six-string plucks and a hazy wall of synths, while labelmate Chelsea Wolfe adds "reverb-soaked" guest vocals to the closing title track, a song that apparently conjures both the first track's melody and Julie Cruise's Twin Peaks theme song. 

You can find the tracklisting down below and the album art above.

Russian Circles will be touring Europe this fall with Chelsea Wolfe, while a North American headlining trek is tentatively scheduled for early 2014.

Memorial:

1. Memoriam
2. Deficit 
3. 1777
4. Cheyenne
5. Burial
6. Ethel
7. Lebaron
8. Memorial

http://exclaim.ca/News/russian_circles_unveil_memorial_premiere_new_track

gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

Get them all!

Yes.  Empros and Geneva are still pretty easy to come by as they've been recently repressed but Station and Enter could be a bitch. I have them all. I'm awesome.

Supposedly the vinyl discography box set they teased right around the time of Empros' release was supposed to finally be done for the release of their 5th LP. I guess we'll see...

my understanding was is that the songs will be either heavy or "pretty" and they will be completely divided. I think he meant that no song will start nice and turn heavy and viceversa.

So it's essentially got the format of Station?

I feel the drums could sound a bit bigger. The drumming itself is very impressive, but the sound is a bit flat. no?

I'll be reserving all thoughts for the official album.  Too often does a quality rip, CD, or vinyl sound night-and-day better than an online stream.

love the new track and the top half of the cover. not so sure about the bottom half? :huh:

i´ll buy it anyway

Wait, does the cover have any real influence whether you'd buy it or not?

And come on, man.  That cover, like, totally symbolizes the album.  The bottom half heavy, dark, and rife with jagged riffs... with the top half cool and lush, not unlike the ocean waves.  Shit's deep bro.

But really, I do like the contrast that it has from Empros.  Not sure about the font choice, though.  Sunbather seemed to set a Didot trend.

Two years on from the release of Russian CirclesEmpros, the Chicago instru-metal trio have announced that their next set,Memorial, is due October 29 through Sargent House.

A press release notes that the band's fifth full-length found them re-teaming with producer Brandon Curtis (the Secret Machines, Interpol), who had worked behind the boards on Empros and 2009's Geneva. The eight-song set was recorded at Chicago's Electrical Audio studio, and according to bassist Brian Cook, the band "set out to make a straightforward, intense, heavy record."

"We've always tried to balance our metal-influenced sounds with more nuanced, pretty, orchestral elements," he said in a statement. "But this time, it's far more polarized in that the heavy parts are much more blown out and exaggerated while the pretty moments are far more restrained, delicate, and atmospheric."

To preview the "darker and more sombre sounds" of Memorial, the band are now streaming the doomy, chugging licks and brutalized drums of post-apocalyptic dirge "Deficit," which you can check out down below.

Elsewhere, opener "Memoriam" is said to feature delicate six-string plucks and a hazy wall of synths, while labelmate Chelsea Wolfe adds "reverb-soaked" guest vocals to the closing title track, a song that apparently conjures both the first track's melody and Julie Cruise's Twin Peaks theme song. 

You can find the tracklisting down below and the album art above.

Russian Circles will be touring Europe this fall with Chelsea Wolfe, while a North American headlining trek is tentatively scheduled for early 2014.

Memorial:

1. Memoriam

2. Deficit 

3. 1777

4. Cheyenne

5. Burial

6. Ethel

7. Lebaron

8. Memorial

http://exclaim.ca/News/russian_circles_unveil_memorial_premiere_new_track

gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

"Instru-metal". I shuddered.